JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   January 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1820-january-2013-playroom/)
-   -   How do you get your LO to sleep? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1820-january-2013-playroom/2635848-how-do-you-get-your-lo-to-sleep.html)

LadieBug March 18th, 2013 05:42 PM

How do you get your LO to sleep?

Share your method for getting your LO to sleep! This should be interesting! :)

kbpeanut March 18th, 2013 05:45 PM

We pray. Really hard. :lol:

Great thread! Lets hear your methods to your madness!

Hoping4bby March 18th, 2013 05:49 PM

Re: How do you get your LO to sleep?

Usually I time it for when he is hungry we just bumped it frm 9:30 to 10:30. After he eats he usually falls right to sleep....the trick is getting him to sleep for longer than 4 hours! ;)

Xtapolapocet March 18th, 2013 06:16 PM

We soothe him by holding him tightly against our body - he likes the 'secure' feeling it provides. Another tactic we use is to 'bounce' him gently, he enjoys that feeling as well. Rocking him in the chair also provides a soothing experience for him. His least favorite, but the most effective, is bath time. Poor David screams himself silly in the bathtub (because he hates it) and afterwards he is worn out so he goes right to sleep. Lucky for him he only gets baths right before bedtime at night.

MammaWannaBe March 18th, 2013 07:37 PM

We put her in a sleeper or a sleep n play zip up thing, my DH swaddles her with an Aden n Anais blanket, we put her in her crib, turn her head to one side, turn the light off, and leave the room. When she is fussy one of us goes in quietly, doesn't turn on lights, just picks her up and sits in the glider and rocks with her till she settles. Sometimes my DH gives her a paci to suck on to help soothe her to sleep.

One thing I think helps is that we either do a bath at night or just start winding down around 7:30pm. More snuggling, go in the sleeping garments, one more bottle that's usually a half ounce more than her normal feed, and we only swaddle for bedtime. I'm not sure if its the routine or she's just one of those good sleeping babies and we just got lucky but it works for us!

And with that I probably just cursed our evening lol

mommysc2 March 18th, 2013 07:41 PM

We put in her in pj's around 7:30ish. She gets a diaper change and a bottle around 8:30-9:30ish and I place her in her crib. She usually just looks around the room and then falls asleep.

joellejello March 18th, 2013 08:13 PM

WE go upstairs, get a fresh diaper, and into bedtime clothes, either a gown or a sleep n play. Head to my bathroom where she hangs out in the boppy watching me get ready for bed for a few mins. Then we head to the bedroom, turn on the lamp and turn off the overhead light. Swaddle her up in a velcro swaddle blanket. Then she nurses in the rocking chair, sometimes she falls asleep, sometimes she's just drowsy when she's full. But she always wakes when I get up anyway. I put her down in the rock n play sleeper and she grunts a little, looks around a bit, and goes to sleep pretty quickly.

swaddlestar March 18th, 2013 08:43 PM

Mine sounds similar to the 2 above me. We get him in his jammies about 8-9 and give him a bottle. We make sure when we do that it's dark and quiet. Sometimes he falls asleep eating sometimes he doesn't. Either way we put him in the crib and swaddle him and he falls asleep within a few minutes.

RobynL March 18th, 2013 10:10 PM

I nurse dex to sleep every night. Some time between 8-10pm typically. Then once asleep I take heating pad out of pack n play and lay him down. Usually works well. I try that 2-3 times, if he keeps waking up during transfer I say screw it and lay him in my bed and nurse him back to sleep and we then co sleep for the night.

kbpeanut March 19th, 2013 04:49 AM

So I was only half joking when I said "pray". He has a hard time going to bed most nights, though we are seeing improvement. I usually nurse for the last time while DH is making/eating dinner. Then, I eat and DH takes him for a bit of cuddles. Then it's either bath time or jammie time. Once jammies are on we usually have to walk or rock with him for a bit of time for him to settle. Night is his fussy time so its not unusual for him to be crying a lot. Then DH gives him his last bottle and usually let's him call asleep on is chest or arms before putting him into his crib. We just recently realized that we think he sleeps waaaaaay better in his crib vs his bassinet so this is helping :)

LadieBug March 19th, 2013 05:27 AM

Lucy falls asleep easily on her own for naps- I wait for her sleepy cues to know that she is ready, then I swaddle her arms and put her in her swing with her pacifier, and she falls asleep on her own.
Bedtime can be a little more complex because she gets put down in the bassinet. We do bath time, swaddle her in a muslin blanket, and DH is usually the one to give her her final bottle. She sometimes falls asleep during it, so he holds her and cuddles her a while til she's in a deep enough sleep to be moved to her bassinet.
Lately though, she's been waking up when being moved. We have a few methods we try- moving her to her swing, where she gets in a nice deep sleep and then we move her to her bassinet.
Last night, she wouldn't fall asleep. Not sure if she was over tired or what. I wasn't going to bed yet, but I laid down in my bed with her to see if that would get her to sleep. Nope, too fidgety. So I rocked and cuddled her in the rocking chair. She fell asleep but awoke when I put her in the bassinet. Finally I put her back in the swing and turned out all the lights. She finally fell asleep and about 20 minutes later transitioned easily to her bassinet.
Most nights are easy, but once in a while we have to try a few methods. Luckily she doesn't cry or anything, just fidgets or grunts.
For her middle of the night feeding, on her best nights she falls asleep in my arms and I move her to her bassinet and she is right back asleep.
Often times its DH who feeds her when he gets up for work (around 4am) If she isn't transitioning to the bassinet easily, he'll put her in her swing, which is right outside our bedroom door. That does the trick and gives me a few extra hours of sleep.

Haha I just realized how long my response was- sleep methods are usually long and intricate in our house :)
I think things would be going more smoothly if she had her own room. She's going to be sharing a room with DD1, so I don't want to move her in there til Bedtime and night feedings are a little more predictable.

marybeth76 March 19th, 2013 06:29 AM

We don't have a completely established routine yet. I am very bad at routine and scheduling and I know it would probably help but all I can say is, it's a work in progress. I finally have my bigger littles on a solid evening/night time routine, that's only taken almost 6 years, LOL.

Anyway, Lincoln usually falls asleep in his swing in the evening, like around 6 or 7pm. Last night it was 6, and he slept until I moved him to our bed at almost 11pm. That's unusual, but he had a SUPER fussy day yesterday and wouldn't sleep almost the entire day so I guess he was just exhausted. Then of course he woke up once I had him in our bed, so I fed him and he went back to sleep.

Most nights he falls asleep in his swing or maybe snuggled up on our bed. We sit in our bedroom and watch tv from 8-11 usually so if he is fussy we just hold him during that time and that works pretty well. I'd say he is average when it comes to difficulty getting him to sleep. He's not SUPER easy, but he's not super difficult either.

WENDYLL22 March 19th, 2013 11:06 AM

I have kept the same routine for getting Latham to sleep since the beginning. After his bath and last bottle around 8pm he is usually drowsy but fighting sleep so I hold him until he gets a little fussy when I hold him really close/tight and kinda bounce too. He usually fights taking a paci so just let him cry a bit til he will take it and then he is OUT! HAHA. Most nights are like this unless he has closter fed then he is out cold... :)

d_tops March 19th, 2013 11:47 AM

Warm bath, lotion, fresh diaper and jammies and a tight swaddle, then a bottle in the glider and I'll rock and sing to him if he's not out on his own. Sometimes this all takes 45 minutes, sometimes 2 hours.

beamermarie March 19th, 2013 01:06 PM

ROUTINE!!!!

We do exactly the same thing every night, and she has been sleeping for 7-8 hours since she was about 2 weeks old. We haven't had a hard time getting her to fall asleep since we established the routine.

ROUTINE!!!!

Sawyers_Mommy March 19th, 2013 06:44 PM

He almost always just falls asleep while eating his last bottle between 8:30 - 9:30 or I put him in his bouncer right after his last bottle and he falls asleep.

Every other night he gets bath but every night around 8 we do lotion, diaper and P.J's then bottle. I just wish he'd sleep ALL night! He wakes up around 2 or 3 every night and I know he's only 2months but I can't help but wish he was like DS1 who slept from 9 or 10pm to 8am by 2 months old and who was NEVER up every 2 hrs :(

mal91011 March 20th, 2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyers_Mommy (Post 27210878)
He almost always just falls asleep while eating his last bottle between 8:30 - 9:30 or I put him in his bouncer right after his last bottle and he falls asleep.

Every other night he gets bath but every night around 8 we do lotion, diaper and P.J's then bottle. I just wish he'd sleep ALL night! He wakes up around 2 or 3 every night and I know he's only 2months but I can't help but wish he was like DS1 who slept from 9 or 10pm to 8am by 2 months old and who was NEVER up every 2 hrs :(

I think we have the same kid. Night time routine is exactly the same. And every night hes awake at 2-3am. At least it seems to be getting later and later.

Jules_loves_beaches March 20th, 2013 02:19 AM

I start bathtime between 7-8 and then will do baby massage and some skin to skin. Afterward, we read a book and then I swaddle and its the last feeding of the night. I sing her to sleep. Right now she is going down around 10, but it used to be 1230. We have been trying to get it earlier every night, but she really wants to play and stay awake. It's so hard to just put her down for the night when she is cooing, smiling and giggling, but we know we have to stick to the routine :)

missadie222 March 20th, 2013 06:56 PM

We are night owls so Utah doesn't go to sleep til 11 ish. We start at about 10pm with a bath. Then I nurse him and sing to him 4 songs... and then I read him the book "Goodnight Moon". By this point he is already ALMOST asleep.

Then we swaddle (sometimes we do this BEFORE I sing to him)... and then a bottle (my husband does this last step). I supplement with soy formula and this 3 ounce bottle keeps him sleeping from 11pm to about 4 am. Last night was 4:45 am! Almost 6 hours!

We do these same things EVERY SINGLE night. It totally does the trick!

Leigha24 March 21st, 2013 12:57 PM

Emma is so easy to get to sleep lol. My older daughter was so high-maintenance LOL. Usually around 7:30-8 we do a diaper change, lotion, jammies, nurse, get a paci, and lay her down. She wiggles around a bit, then just goes to sleep on her own. The only time she cries is if she somehow loses the paci. Most of the time I don't get it for her and she stops after 30 sec or so and goes to sleep lol. She crashes immediately after baths so I can only really do those at bedtime (every other day). She sleeps from 8 to about 3-4 am, eats and sleeps again til 8:30 lol.