JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   January 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1820-january-2013-playroom/)
-   -   FTM: Our First Mother's Day ... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1820-january-2013-playroom/2641260-ftm-our-first-mothers-day.html)

Xtapolapocet April 6th, 2013 10:15 PM

FTM: Our First Mother's Day ...

:nak:Our First Mother's Day:nak:

Wow! Can you believe it? We have finally made itÖMotherhood! This year is a very special year for many of us FTMís as it will be the first year we will celebrate Motherís Day. . While it isnít until next month, the stores are already displaying things for Motherís Day (given the intense level of commercialization associated with the Ďhallmark holidayí), and that reminded me that in one month I will be celebrating Motherís Day for the first time as a mom; this made me wonder about the rest of us on JM who are celebrating our very first Motherís Day as a mom. Here is a little back story on the holiday we're going to be included in for the first time in our lives...

Quote:

First celebrated in 1908, Motherís Day is a special day set aside to honor mothers, motherhood, maternal bonds, and the influence of mothers throughout society. The reason Motherís Day is celebrated today is thanks to a lady named Anna Jarvis, who wished to hold a memorial for her mother. Following that celebration, she began to campaign to make ďMotherís DayĒ a recognized holiday. In 1914 she had her wish come true, the United States adopted the holiday, but she was unhappy with the commercialization that was already so prevalent for the holiday to this very day. While there were celebrations similar to the now recognized Motherís Day during the 1870ís and 1880ís, it was not celebrated as it is today.
While Motherís Day is not until Sunday, May 12, 2013 (in the United States), have any of you made plans for your first official Motherís Day? If so, what plans have you made? We are already making plans for next month as to how to celebrate such a momentous event. For us, this is a very bittersweet celebration as I am sure it is for many other FTMís this year. After struggling with TTC and then suffering miscarriages, we are so grateful for the greatest gift God could give us. So this May 12th brings us joy on so many levels.

Please share your plans and ideas for this upcoming special event. :)

marybeth76 April 7th, 2013 05:49 AM

Re: FTM: Our First Mother's Day ...

Awww, I remember my first mother's day. We went to church and then out to eat with my husband's family. I remember when we went in the restaurant, one of the workers there said Happy Mother's Day to me and it was so special! My son was just about 6 weeks old at the time. It's definitely a special memory :)

minalyn April 7th, 2013 03:58 PM

We'll all I'd like is a gold necklace that says Evan. I can't wait to wear it around my neck and close to my heart for the rest of my life!

kbpeanut April 8th, 2013 04:28 AM

We haven't talked or thought about it yet. I have a very thoughtful DH so I'm sure he will him if some special way to celebrate!

joellejello April 8th, 2013 10:02 AM

My first mothers' day, my DH (who is normally a SAHD) was asked to help a buddy of his who owns a landscaping business with a big job. So I was on my own with my DS. I got peed on, pooped on, and spit up on within an hour of getting up. But it was perfect. :) We just hung out all day and snuggled and DH brought home dinner.

PS, my avatar pic here was actually taken the day before my first Mother's Day :heart:

MammaWannaBe April 8th, 2013 11:09 AM

We have no plans thus far. I want to see if DH remembers on his own. I did get a little giddy seeing Mother's Day things in store and thinking how it is my first one! :)

mrssws April 8th, 2013 07:22 PM

I don't have any plans or ideas. I am still in shock that I am actually a mother(my doctor told me i had a 10-15% chance of successfully carrying a pregnancy). I think DH has something special planned for me. Just like MammaWannaBe I am getting giddy seeing all the mother's day stuff in the stores.

d_tops April 10th, 2013 02:41 PM

DH is extremely thoughtful and generous, but he's terrible with "hallmark holidays." So am I. For that reason, I always keep my expectations pretty chill. I don't expect we'll do much, and the way things have been crazy lately, I would really enjoy a quiet Sunday at home together. That would be just about perfect.