JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   January 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1820-january-2013-playroom/)
-   -   fingers (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1820-january-2013-playroom/2643829-fingers.html)

minalyn April 16th, 2013 08:23 PM

fingers

Is There Any Harm In Evan Sucking On His FinGers? I'mThinking it'sHis Way Of Self Soothing. Will It Lead To Him BeingA Thumb Sucker?

MammaWannaBe April 16th, 2013 08:26 PM

Re: fingers

I think it's their way of soothing or just exploring their bodies. Vivi loves to see how many fingers she can stick in there but if you out something in her hands she also tries to put it right in her mouth! I think it's just learning about the world around them :)

nursingmama April 16th, 2013 09:46 PM

I dont think it will cause any harm. Felix puts his entire hand in his mouth, it is quite impressive. Leo wasnt as into his hands as felix is but he did suck on them a fair amount and now at 22 months he isnt (and never has been) a thumb sucker.

A.Sue8 April 17th, 2013 03:02 AM

Julius always has his fingers in his mouth but never the thumb, or he tries and gets his whole hand in there and gags himself over and over. At first I thought he had a burp stuck in him because he seemed to do it more after feedings, but now I just think it has more to due with teething because he like to gnaw on his hands, toys and his bottle.

kbpeanut April 17th, 2013 04:22 AM

It's probably fine, just a way of both soothing and exploration.

Jules_loves_beaches April 17th, 2013 04:44 AM

Ember loves chewing on her fingers. I pull them out sometimes and give her a toy, but it seems like she is just chewingand of course drooling. I think it's part of teething.

mommysc2 April 17th, 2013 06:30 AM

There is no harm. My DS was a thumb sucker but he started sucking his thumb at 4 days old. A lot of people are against thumb sucking, finger sucking and paci's but I let my kids do what soothes them....so if he becomes a thumb sucker I say let him be.

joellejello April 17th, 2013 08:23 AM

At this age, it's their main way of exploring the world around them. They are just learning that they can control their arms and hands, and bringing them to their mouth on purpose is one of the first things they learn they can do. They'll be putting lots of things in their mouth to learn about them over the next many months. Just try to keep their little hands clean, they can get lint and stuff trapped in the crease between thier thumbs and first fingers because of the way they clasp right now, i just try to wipe that out several times a day. And any objects should be clean too. But, almost all babies are going to suck their hands at this age, whether they end up being thumb suckers or not.

minalyn April 17th, 2013 03:13 PM

Ok good. I try to offer him a teether or toy but he really enjoys those fingers. DH and I even mock him sometimes. That sucking sound is so cute :)

RobynL April 17th, 2013 05:59 PM

Dexter has a big need to suck on everything! He refuses a pacifier so usually resorts to his fingers, hand or forearm. He gives himself 'hickeys' on his arm sometimes from sucking on it sooo much.