JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   January 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1820-january-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Mommy Groups (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1820-january-2013-playroom/2644098-mommy-groups.html)

MammaWannaBe April 17th, 2013 07:14 PM

Mommy Groups

So today I finally went to a "meet up" with a local mommy play group I found on meetup.com at a local park and it went awesome! At first I was nervous because I was one of the younger moms and had the youngest child but then someone should up with an infant, another pregnant, so I realized I wasn't alone. All the moms were super nice and I really hit it off with two of the moms. It felt good to get out of the house and hang with people who don't mind some spit up or getting constantly interrupted by kids. I love my girlfriends but none of them have kids and they work full time so if we do manage to go to lunch it's a hard balancing act. I really wanted to meet other moms in a similar position to myself and have Vivi hang out with kids but mommy and me classes are just too dang expensive for us! I feel like this is the perfect middle ground because there's a slew of events you can RSVP too, mommys only night outs, and best of all it's less than 15$ a year in dues.

Just wanted to pass the website along in case it could help any other mommy struggling with this new SAHM role like I have or just mommies that need to get out of the house with other mothers! The day flew because of it and I could see it helping with my PPD as well to just get out and be open an honest with other moms. Could be a support group there.

Anyway I'm just glad I went because I am nervous in new places with unfamiliar faces but I'm definitely glad I went!

Hoping4bby April 17th, 2013 08:25 PM

Re: Mommy Groups

Ash that's great that you found something like that! I would love to join a group like that too, I like you don't have many friends with kids so its hard doing the same stuff with them that I used to.

On another note I thought about you the other day because I finally got Kingston signed up at the Y so I can take him to day care while I exercise...however I haven't made it back with him to do it. Haha when I signed him up there were about 40 kids in there and that didn't sit well with me so I think my first trip will be some odd slow hour during the week to see how it goes and then venture out from there!

Thanks for sharing!

MammaWannaBe April 17th, 2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoping4bby (Post 27295635)
Ash that's great that you found something like that! I would love to join a group like that too, I like you don't have many friends with kids so its hard doing the same stuff with them that I used to.

On another note I thought about you the other day because I finally got Kingston signed up at the Y so I can take him to day care while I exercise...however I haven't made it back with him to do it. Haha when I signed him up there were about 40 kids in there and that didn't sit well with me so I think my first trip will be some odd slow hour during the week to see how it goes and then venture out from there!

Thanks for sharing!

I still can't get myself to the dang Y either! Lol. I swear I will next week while my mom is still in town. She is going under cover to assess the sitch while I do a short work out. I just feel so tied to Vivi and the idea of leaving her especially with people I don't know is scary!

marybeth76 April 18th, 2013 05:46 AM

I LOVE my mommy group soooo much. Before Lincoln was born I went to one playdate every week, and one mommy's night out each month. Then I also have MOPS twice a month (you should see if you have that in your area, it's Mothers of Preschoolers and it's soooo awesome).

Anyway though, since Linc was born and I've gotten into the hang of getting out and about with 3 kids, we've been getting out and meeting other mamas and their kids 3-4 times per week. It's SOO busy and crazy and I'm exhausted at the end of the day but it's fun too, and I have found that my mood just SOARS compared to the days I stay at home. This week we went to a park and lunch on Monday, morning park playdate and afternoon park playdate on wednesday, and today we're going to a friend's house for a playdate in about an hour. We might do a park tomorrow too.

I'm still taking it easy with my work, and I know when I get back into that full time I'll have to slow down with the kids a little but I have so been enjoying this time with them.

I've definitely made my best friends from my mommy groups :)

kbpeanut April 18th, 2013 06:47 AM

I'm so glad you had a great experience! I've looked them up and they are def in my area but don't seem too active. The local CD group and local babywearing groups are though! That's where I may start!

SaraSmiles April 18th, 2013 07:11 AM

When I first moved to this state I found that website, but most were aimed to little kids ... like 0 - 3 years old, and at the time my 2 kiddos were 5 and 6 and were already in school so I never ended up attending any of the meetings/events. But now that Joshua is born, its a great idea! Thanks for bringing it up.

LilHerndon April 18th, 2013 09:09 AM

Thanks for your input! I have wanted to do something like this, but like you I am often nervous in new places when I don't know anyone, so it's nice to know it went so well. Dh and I only have one car so that hampers a lot of my efforts to get out of the house, but once the weather actually breaks here I plan on making him take the train a lot more - I need to get out!

Jules_loves_beaches April 18th, 2013 10:02 AM

Im glad you had a great experience. I need to look into some mommy group. It would be nice to find other moms with babies the same age or close to the same age as Ember. She loves being around other babies.

MammaWannaBe April 18th, 2013 01:26 PM

Yeah I liked it because Vivi got to watch the older kids and I got to socialize with the moms. It was a really nice way to pass the morning and it made the day fly by. I need that kind of routine where we are doing something each day or otherwise I really start to get down stuck in the house all day.

A.Sue8 April 18th, 2013 01:59 PM

I want to look into a mommy group out here, When I went to go register Julius for his US citizenship, there was a large handful of new mommies there. I should have asked for numbers but didn't want to be weird.

Lil_Mama2B April 18th, 2013 03:19 PM

Awesome! Glad you had such a good time. had another mommy stop me at the mall yesterday and tell me about a moms club around here. Ive been looking for one so I was really happy to hear about it. I was just nervous that Alayna was too young but I could always use the socialization. I am going to check that site. She gave me another one calle momsclub.org just in case someone cant find on ein their area off that site

RobynL April 18th, 2013 09:37 PM

Mommy groups are the best! ESP when you are a first time mom. I still meet up weekly with my playgroup foru daughters and it has been that way for 3 years! It truly changed my days so much! It is nice to have friends to hang out with on weekdays, and to be able to watch your kids growing up together is amazing! Cami has best friends now from out playgroup and we even vacationed together last summer to the beach and plan to do it again this year. Luckily they all had new babies the past year so we will have our little ones growing up together as well!

MammaWannaBe April 19th, 2013 01:53 PM

So I just got a message from one of the women I really liked in the group and I'm going to my first Mom's Night Out next week! WOO HOO I feel like such an adult! lol. Seriously this is going to be such a good thing for Vivi and me. Between working, caring for Vivi, the gym, and this mom group and hopefully making friends through it, I think we will be plenty busy and that is what I need to stay healthy and happy I think.