JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   January 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1820-january-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Taking care of baby when you're sick (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1820-january-2013-playroom/2644125-taking-care-baby-when-youre-sick.html)

mal91011 April 18th, 2013 01:38 AM

Taking care of baby when you're sick

I'm a little freaked out right now. I'm pretty sure I have strep throat right now. I'll be calling the dr as soon as they open. But I still have to take care of my little guy. And I am freaking out that if this is strep I've now exposed him. :(

What do you do with your little one when you're the one thats sick? Do you limit your time with them? I feel like a horrible mom for exposing him to anything. Poor guy just got over his first cold. And I can't give him kisses! :(

A.Sue8 April 18th, 2013 02:22 AM

Re: Taking care of baby when you're sick

I haven't been sick yet, but one of my close friends just had Rota and her 4 month old daughter didn't get it, she was really careful with washing hands no kissing keeping babies face away from hers. So it can be done, I hope you feel better soon! Strep is no fun.

kbpeanut April 18th, 2013 06:44 AM

I only had a mild tummy bug one day, and I just tried to keep from breathing on him and touching him or his hands too much. Turned out it was food related and DH ended up staying home to care for both of us that day so I didn't have to think about it too much. Maybe get a mask to wear around him too ?

Hope you are on the mend soon!

mommysc2 April 18th, 2013 06:53 AM

I would recommend wearing a mask. They sell the surgical masks at pharmacys and even Walmart prob carries them. At least when you are caring for him you are not breathing on him and your germs (whether it's strep or not) will not be spread around your home where he breathes in. When my DS got the flu we did this, he wore the mask and Sophia only got a stuffy nose and a slight cough. Hope you feel better soon!!

A.Sue8 April 18th, 2013 07:05 AM

P.S. I hope you make it to the doctors, I know there is some crazy weather coming your way, I've seen all the flood pics from back home on the Chicago side of Lake Michigan.

SaraSmiles April 18th, 2013 07:08 AM

Well to ease your worries just a little, my older son just had strep and while we were at the pedi the Dr told me that it is very very rare for babies to get strep, so I wouldn't worry to much. But whenever anyone in the house is sick, just wash and wash and wash your hands. Wash your hands right before you touch him and like others said, avoid touching his hands too much, or anything he puts in his mouth really. Once the baby hits 3 months, I wouldn't go too crazy anyway. Getting little colds now isn't too bad, if you shelter him from everything, his immune system will suffer when he is older.

mal91011 April 19th, 2013 09:42 AM

The good news is that it isn't strep. The bad news is that poor max came home from daycare all stuffed up and cranky. Whatever this is we must have been exposed the same time. Poor baby had only been healthy for a few days. So today is my day off so we're both napping the day away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaraSmiles (Post 27296284)
Once the baby hits 3 months, I wouldn't go too crazy anyway. Getting little colds now isn't too bad, if you shelter him from everything, his immune system will suffer when he is older.

He's a daycare baby, so hes not being sheltered from anything! The ped said to expect around 10 colds in the first year being at daycare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Sue8 (Post 27296273)
P.S. I hope you make it to the doctors, I know there is some crazy weather coming your way, I've seen all the flood pics from back home on the Chicago side of Lake Michigan.

It's really bad here!! Random roads shut down and the river is about to crests at 24 feet with only 20 ft flood walls. We're up on a hill about 1.5 miles from the river, so we're ok.

Dh got sent home from work because they had no water or sewer. The city is asking people to not shower or flush toilets!

Jules_loves_beaches April 19th, 2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mal91011 (Post 27299403)

It's really bad here!! Random roads shut down and the river is about to crests at 24 feet with only 20 ft flood walls. We're up on a hill about 1.5 miles from the river, so we're ok.

Dh got sent home from work because they had no water or sewer. The city is asking people to not shower or flush toilets!

Its crazy what I am seeing from family back in Chicago! Staff safe and dry. Hopefully you and Max both feel better soon.