JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   January 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1820-january-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Distracted eaters? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1820-january-2013-playroom/2645881-distracted-eaters.html)

RobynL April 25th, 2013 06:55 AM

Distracted eaters?

Anyone else have an issue with babies getting distracted while eating? Last night dexter kept nursing for 10 seconds then un latching and turning his head to see the tv. He did this about 10-20 times before I turned the tv off. Then even without the tv on he kept doing it and looking around! It was close to bedtime so I'm pretty sure he was tired/hungry. He is also starting to not like the nursing cover which is making nursing in public less modest and more challenging! Anyone else having these issues yet?

LovelyMama April 25th, 2013 07:46 AM

Re: Distracted eaters?

YES!!! After a while it kinda hurts popping on and off. Sometimes it's because he has gas or has to poop.

I try to use the white noise app on my phone and cover his face but it only works half the time.

kbpeanut April 25th, 2013 08:47 AM

All the time :) This is his biggest eating challenge. He is doing it right now, matter if face, as I sit in the quiet nursery. Sometimes, a fart or poop will result but sometimes he is just distracted. And when he does this behavior, he waves his arm around and scratches my chest like the dickens. No amount of nail cutting/filing helps.

joellejello April 25th, 2013 08:52 AM

Yes, Taylor just started doing that this week. I either just give up and set her up so she can look around, or go to a quiet dark room where there are no distractions (though she can get distracted by a ceiling fan, so there's that). And I agree, the popping on and off starts to hurt, not to mention I usually end up squirting her in the face pretty good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbpeanut (Post 27315172)
All the time :) This is his biggest eating challenge. He is doing it right now, matter if face, as I sit in the quiet nursery. Sometimes, a fart or poop will result but sometimes he is just distracted. And when he does this behavior, he waves his arm around and scratches my chest like the dickens. No amount of nail cutting/filing helps.

THE NAILS!!! I swear she thinks that scratching me while she eats is funny...

1stbaby April 25th, 2013 10:51 AM

We are having issues here too. The man distraction for her is if I look at her. She immediately stops sucking and gives me a smile which results in milk running down her chin. it's hard not making eye contact with her when she nurses.

joellejello April 25th, 2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stbaby (Post 27315621)
We are having issues here too. The man distraction for her is if I look at her. She immediately stops sucking and gives me a smile which results in milk running down her chin. it's hard not making eye contact with her when she nurses.

I love that. so sweet. :wub:

Jules_loves_beaches April 25th, 2013 11:15 AM

Ember has been unlatching and pulling away. I thought it was because there wasnt a lot of milk coming out, even though it will squirt her or running down her face. So I gave in a gave her a bottle of breast milk and pumped instead. The pulling was ouch! Now that I think of it she was gassy so maybe that was the issue. Tonight I will try gas drops or something and keep at the nursing. :)

LilHerndon April 25th, 2013 12:14 PM

Parker is distracted by EVERYTHING! And not only that he is fiercely independent and wants to hold his own bottle ALL THE TIME. Unfortunately he can't actually control his little hands right just yet so his hands just end up in the way or pushing the bottle out of his mouth! So frustrating - I have to dodge hands, smiles, eye contact, and distractions just to get him to eat! That and he hates his formula still so even coaxing him into eating it is a chore lol. And by god if he starts scratching my hands anymore while he's eating blood is going to be running down my fingers! Little nails are SHARP!

WENDYLL22 April 26th, 2013 06:07 PM

I am sooo glad to see I am not the only one wondering what the heck is going on. Latham has become so aware of everything around him that now instead of eating and falling into a coma....his eyes are wandering and arms flying everywhere. I have to start and stop feeding him his bottle..

RobynL April 26th, 2013 09:35 PM

Okay, I'm glad it's not just me! It is all driving me insane! But my heart can't help but melt when we make eye contact and he smiles at me! <3 that!