JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   January 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1820-january-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Another Post about Solids....sorry! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1820-january-2013-playroom/2649064-another-post-about-solids-sorry.html)

mommysc2 May 8th, 2013 07:42 AM

Another Post about Solids....sorry!

ok, here I go again. Now, what aggravates me more than anything is that every doctor, every book and every website has a different opinion on when to start solids and what to start with.....it's ridiculous....plus for those of you that have kids widely spaced apart like myself.....it all changes with each kid!! :smackshead:

So, my question for you ladies is: Are you going by your doctor's orders or advice as to when and what to start with or are you doing what you want?

Also, for those of you that are skipping cereal, what is your reasoning, is it the no nutritional value cause my pedi told me cereal is good because it is rich in iron which is one nutrient that babies seem to lack.

Thanks ladies :smile:

Sawyers_Mommy May 8th, 2013 09:14 AM

Re: Another Post about Solids....sorry!

I'm doing what I want and feel best suits Marshall as to when I'll start and what we'll start with. I'm not sure now, but when DS1 was a baby I remember him saying we could try some if we wanted to at 4mths. I waited til 5-5.5mths though. I may try a little in a couple weeks because Marshall seems interested. If not then, I'll try about 5mths. Just kinda going along with him and when he's ready.

minalyn May 8th, 2013 09:32 AM

I'm starting Evan on cereal this weekend. He needs to be ready by the time he switches classes at daycare when he's 6 months. I was told that in his current class they serve single veggies and fruits but in his next class they'll serve things mixed. I don't want him missing out on anything because he's never tried it and because of allergies. If I was to wait till 5-5 1/2 months I don't feel like he'd be ready. I'm not replacing his formula with solids but I'm just "prepping" him.

I agree every piece of advice out there is different. I'll hear what our pedi has to say on the 15th but I'm pretty sure I'm starting him on veggies. I'll probably give the cereal a good 2-3 weeks then introduce veggies.

Jules_loves_beaches May 8th, 2013 09:40 AM

My Pedi said I could start now, Ember is just over 4 months and is sitting up and almost 15 pounds. I want to wait until 6 months though to make sure her stomach and digestive system is fully developed. She isnt demanding more milk, so until she does, I want to wait.

As for cereal, in my opinion it is more like a filler food. It is dense and helps to fill babies up. Most cereals are fortified with iron, but that is really the only nutritional benefit other than being a carb. I am breastfeeding, so Ember is getting all the nutrients from milk and I would personally feel better she fill up on something that is extremely nutritious instead of a "filler." I also am taking the whole approach to solids that all the food I will be trying is just teaching Ember how to eat and see what she likes, more about fun and exploration than nutrition. My milk is her nutrition for now until she will be 1 and then she will get more of her nutrients from eating solids.

Some babies may be hungrier than others and need the rice/cereal. Ember doesnt seem to fall into that category, at least yet, so I am just going to go with breast milk and purees at 6 months.

I am not trying to preach here, just sharing our decision and why we are choosing to forgo the cereal.

marybeth76 May 8th, 2013 10:08 AM

I'm going to start with mashed up bananas and avocados, and I'll probably do that sometime around 5 months. I would normally say I'd wait until at least 6 months, but since I'm pumping I always feel like I have trouble keeping up with his milk needs, and he doesn't do well with formula. I've started giving him a little apple juice here and there to help fill in the gaps.

joellejello May 8th, 2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules_loves_beaches (Post 27349210)
My Pedi said I could start now, Ember is just over 4 months and is sitting up and almost 15 pounds. I want to wait until 6 months though to make sure her stomach and digestive system is fully developed. She isnt demanding more milk, so until she does, I want to wait.

As for cereal, in my opinion it is more like a filler food. It is dense and helps to fill babies up. Most cereals are fortified with iron, but that is really the only nutritional benefit other than being a carb. I am breastfeeding, so Ember is getting all the nutrients from milk and I would personally feel better she fill up on something that is extremely nutritious instead of a "filler." I also am taking the whole approach to solids that all the food I will be trying is just teaching Ember how to eat and see what she likes, more about fun and exploration than nutrition. My milk is her nutrition for now until she will be 1 and then she will get more of her nutrients from eating solids.

Some babies may be hungrier than others and need the rice/cereal. Ember doesnt seem to fall into that category, at least yet, so I am just going to go with breast milk and purees at 6 months.

I am not trying to preach here, just sharing our decision and why we are choosing to forgo the cereal.

{ditto}

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules_loves_beaches (Post 27349210)

:ditto:

kbpeanut May 8th, 2013 04:01 PM

Another :ditto:

MammaWannaBe May 8th, 2013 04:36 PM

Hmmm good questions. I don't know what my doctor will say on Monday when I ask about solids, but part of me wonders, why see a doctor at all that you don't trust? I'm not saying do everything they say always, but I think it's important to trust your doctor enough to discuss your feelings and come up with a good strategy. That is what I am hoping to do. I've heard rice cereal could help for reflux and spitting up and Vivi is doing horribly with that so I am going to ask about it. In terms of other food, I really don't think she's ready. I think I'll know when she is but I really don't see it yet. She sits with us at the table at dinner but isn't showing any interest in us eating. I think I'll be closer to5-6 months till she's ready.

LadieBug May 8th, 2013 04:50 PM

Lucy has been very interested in us eating for about a month now. Last week, we gave her some mashed up avocado but she wasn't quite sure what to do with it, so we'll probably try again in a few weeks. My older daughter was never much of a fan of puree's, so with her I followed the "food before one is just for fun" motto. My pedi used that motto when explaining that we could start her, or we could hold off a bit. He explained that all her essential nutrition was coming from breastmilk or formula. I never felt like the puree's filled her up bc she are so little- and they probably didnt provide much nutrients either since it was such a little amount that she'd eat. So it was just kinda for fun for the both if us, to introduce her to different tastes and textures. I'm taking a similar approach with Lucy. If she likes the puree's, great. If not, no sweat.

I know there is all sorts if conflicting info out there. I kinda used what my Dr reccomended as a loose guideline, and followed what I felt best based of my babies cues.

mommysc2 May 8th, 2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MammaWannaBe (Post 27350340)
Hmmm good questions. I don't know what my doctor will say on Monday when I ask about solids, but part of me wonders, why see a doctor at all that you don't trust? I'm not saying do everything they say always, but I think it's important to trust your doctor enough to discuss your feelings and come up with a good strategy. That is what I am hoping to do. I've heard rice cereal could help for reflux and spitting up and Vivi is doing horribly with that so I am going to ask about it. In terms of other food, I really don't think she's ready. I think I'll know when she is but I really don't see it yet. She sits with us at the table at dinner but isn't showing any interest in us eating. I think I'll be closer to5-6 months till she's ready.

I trust my doctor, been going there for 15 years but he is very big on switching things around when new studies arise and that I don't like....but I do trust him but I can also guarantee that all of her Pedi's are not on the same page...they all have a different theory which is what confuses me.

MammaWannaBe May 8th, 2013 07:03 PM

Totally feel you. I hope I didn't come off as aggressive, not my intention! I think Rachel said it really well--work with your dr but ultimately follow baby's cues :)

Does Sophia seem interested in food yet?

mommysc2 May 8th, 2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MammaWannaBe (Post 27350697)
Totally feel you. I hope I didn't come off as aggressive, not my intention! I think Rachel said it really well--work with your dr but ultimately follow baby's cues :)

Does Sophia seem interested in food yet?

Yeah, Sophia smiles like crazy when we eat but I wouldn't say she is "ready". I may "try" around 5 months. If I do cereal, I will do oatmeal though. I can easily follow the same plan as my other 2 but things are constantly changing which is what drives me crazy and I am not the type to go against my dr but like I said he's switching with studies, he's big on that. I also did not feel you being aggressive from your post, I just wanted to let you know this has nothing to do with trust, he is a well known doctor in our area that I have been with since my almost 15 yr old daughter was a baby so he's great but I just wish all Pedi's/studies would stay on the same page......I always have the fear of messing up or doing something wrong even thought this is baby #3.......it's like starting over again, remember their is a 7 year gap between all my kids.....lol!

beamermarie May 9th, 2013 06:22 AM

We are going to do a combo. We are military, so we use a government childcare center. It's highly over-regulated. They have a very specific meal plan and they can't deviate. They can't/won't give our children food until we tell them to, but it has to be their food. We can't bring ANY of our own food except breast milk without a doctor's letter. I guess it's because someone else's kid could be allergic to something we bring, I don't know. Anyway, I haven't talked to them yet about baby-led-weaning, which is what we want to do, but I see them giving other infants baby food. They already tried to talk me into giving my L.O. Rice Cereal at FOUR MONTHS. I said no.

She is 4 months as of next week. We gave her 3 grapes last week. She is teething, and we just let her chew on them (While we held them). She chewed so well that she got a lot of pulp and juice out of them (we were careful she didn't get any skin). She absolutely loved it! However, she had crazy poops for two days. I don't think she was ready. She usually poops once a day or less, and this was like every hour! I don't know if it was actually the grapes, but we aren't doing any more of those for awhile!

d_tops May 15th, 2013 01:40 PM

We're following his lead with food, even though I'm ready to make the switch. My doctor said to start introducing with cereals, but right now I'm mushing some banana in together with formula and giving him that, about 1 Tablespoon a day. He watches us eat, and definitely likes the banana, so I'll introduce other fruits and veggies soon.

I'm not totally against cereal, but figure if he doesn't need it for nutritional value, then why bother since fruits and veggies are an option?

SaraSmiles May 15th, 2013 06:14 PM

I had my 4 month appointment yesterday, and my pedi is totally cool with just about anything! lol She was like, you can start introducing solids anytime from now til about 6 months. You can start with cereal, or you can start with some fruits or veggies...totally up to you. The only thing she said is to only introduce 1 food per week, just to see if there is any reaction to any of the foods, you would know which one since that is all he ate that week. And not to give him honey. My Dr is way laid back lol.

Oh yea, today at the store I picked up a thing of Gerber Rice Cereal, I might give him a little next week and just see how he reacts. He seemed like he enjoyed getting the oral vaccine yesterday bc I guess it was a different taste than formula...I cant wait!

mommysc2 May 15th, 2013 06:24 PM

I spoke to my dr again since this thread and he admitted to me the reason why all doctors are on different pages is because in the USA we have the highest rate of food allergies and he said honestly nobody really knows why and that nobody really knows what is the actual right and wrong thing to do...., that is why all these guidelines are CONSTANTLY changing, trust me I know cause my oldest is turning 15. The only thing that he was pretty much set on was to not give rice cereal, only oatmeal since rice has had traces of arsenic and that babies start to lack iron at 6 months of age (even on breastmilk or formula) so that foods rich in iron are important.

A.Sue8 May 16th, 2013 01:30 AM

I'm ready to switch him but I don't think he's quite there yet, I've been giving him vitamin D with a baby spoon since he was born so he knows the spoon, and he loves watching us eat and smiles the entire time. I tried carrots and carrot juice right when he turned 4 months. He wasn't really sure what to do with the carrots, I just put a tiny bit on his lip, and the juice he wasn't a fan of, he made the ahhh this is awwfffuuulll face and gagged. So i'll wait a little longer before I try again.

RobynL May 16th, 2013 01:07 PM

I didn't ask my pedi about it at our 4 month check up.", but plan on waiting till 6 months. Ill start with bananas, avocados and sweet potatoes first. Not purée, but just mash up with some breast milk. We will explore from there what our plan is. I'm also interested in baby led weaning so I may take that approach. My dd1 didn't care for cereAls so I tried it for a few weeks but she never ate more than a bite or two. I'm just going to skip it this time around.

lovelyenchanted May 16th, 2013 06:31 PM

Lauryn has already had bananas, avocado, and sweet potatoes. She loves it all!

She hates the rice cereal, so I may try some oatmeal or barley cereal with her instead.

My Dr. said we should really be doing rice cereal only until 6 months due to allergies... however, I read a more recent article that shows the allergy risk isn't really all that much higher. So there is a ton of conflicting info.

DF's mom followed the rules by the book with him (which were the same-- not until 6 months) and he still has a TON of food allergies. He never had them as a child, but developed them closer to teenage/adult years.

I'm kind of just going with it on her schedule. We don't do food every day and when we do, she still gets a bottle, so it's definitely not replacing anything.

d_tops May 17th, 2013 02:42 PM

Also, I've been reading "Super Nutrition for Babies," which is one of those everything you think you know is wrong books, but I really like it. I plan to follow the advice to the point of practicality. (For example, roe as a first finger food is probably not going to happen, but we'll introduce frozen shaved liver early.)

Their word on cereal is not to much arsenic as it is that babies' digestive systems can't really process grains so early, and it's empty calories anyway, so why not give them complete nutritious calories? I like the logic there, and in general find the book to be a useful reference.