JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   January 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1820-january-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Bananas (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1820-january-2013-playroom/2653860-bananas.html)

RobynL May 27th, 2013 09:00 PM

Bananas

I gave dexter his first taste of food today! Swore I would wait till 6-7 months, but he is a few days shy of 5 months and I had it peeled so I figured why not give a little taste. He loved it! I mashed it with a fork and added breastmilk to give it a familiar taste
( baby banana smoothie) he ate the whole chunk, so I made him seconds and he ate the whole thing! Probaby about 1/4 a banana. Now I'm not going to make it a daily thing, but maybe every now and then I will give him a taste. He is a very skinny baby and I'm constantly worrying about his weight so I'm relieved he seemed to like the banana.

Sawyers_Mommy May 28th, 2013 06:50 AM

Re: Bananas

Glad he liked it!

There hasn't been a baby food yet that Marshall hasn't liked lol

marybeth76 May 28th, 2013 06:52 AM

I've given Lincoln some mashed up banana too and he really seems to like it. You should try an avocado, they are full of great healthy fats. I keep meaning to get one and mash it up for him but I keep forgetting.

LilHerndon May 28th, 2013 07:44 AM

We tried carrots with Parker last week and he loved the new taste lol! We got a video of it and it's hilarious watching him try something besides his milk. I have only given it to him once since so it's not a common thing, but when he seems like formula isn't cutting it for him I'll give him some. I was excited to see we had no gas issues or anything with the carrots after all the digestive problems he's had in the past. I think bananas will be on our soon to try list for sure though. :)

LadieBug May 28th, 2013 08:48 AM

Lucy has tried mashed up banana and loved it too.
Just be careful if making banana a daily thing- it tends to constipate them! I remember this from my first daughter. She loved bananas but I had to limit them to a few times a week so she wouldnt get too backed up.

mal91011 May 28th, 2013 11:09 AM

We're trying avocados tonight!

d_tops May 28th, 2013 11:42 AM

That's how we started with bananas, too. It was handy and he seemed interested. He LOVES avocados now, and I just wanted to second that for a skinny baby, they're a great way to get a little extra good fat into him.

It's cute to see him try new things, isn't it?

kbpeanut May 28th, 2013 01:20 PM

We're not doing solids yet but I remember seeing video and pics of my niece when she tried new foods for the first time. Bananas were a fav for sure! I think the funniest was salmon (she was much older then). I was expecting a fit but she LOVED it!

MammaWannaBe May 28th, 2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadieBug (Post 27399727)
Lucy has tried mashed up banana and loved it too.
Just be careful if making banana a daily thing- it tends to constipate them! I remember this from my first daughter. She loved bananas but I had to limit them to a few times a week so she wouldnt get too backed up.

Oh wow this is great to know. I gave Vivi some banana a few days ago and maybe that messed her system up a bit, or at least added to the issues. I am going to try avocado next.

I'm like you Robyn, not too concerned about rushing into food, just doing it when she shows interest and the timing feels right. That's great that he is enjoying a new food though!