JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   January 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1820-january-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Sound Machine (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1820-january-2013-playroom/2656162-sound-machine.html)

mal91011 June 5th, 2013 05:26 AM

Sound Machine

Do any of you have a sound machine for your little ones? If so what brand and would you recommend it?

Our house is so creaky and old that when my husband gets up at 3:30am for work it always wakes Max up. Plus the two dogs always seem to make some noise at night that disturbs his sleep. So i'm thinking a little white noise my help.

When he was really little and had a hard time sleeping i'd use an app on my phone, but i'm not leaving my phone in his room all night!

Lil_Mama2B June 5th, 2013 07:22 AM

Re: Sound Machine

I use a homedics sound machine, I turn it on everytime she sleeps even for naps during the day. I can clean, dogs can bark, and DH and I can talk and be silly without worrying about waking her up. It doesnt have a white noise setting unfortunately so I use the rain sound and that seems to be ok. I really like it it has a couple different sounds and it also has a projector on it. I turn the projector on for her fussy nights and she instantly quiets.
Here's a link to it..
http://www.google.com/shopping/produ...ed=0CF4Q8wIwAg

LilHerndon June 5th, 2013 09:29 AM

I won't be much help - we use an old iPod I had laying around and my sony speaker in his room with the "Baby Got Colic" noise from iTunes on repeat. He loves that thing (as creepy as it sounds) and it calms him right down all the time. I was going to get a sound machine before this song/noise was posted on here, now it just works out great and we can go about with whatever we need to do elsewhere in the house. I highly recommend using a noise machine of some sort! :)

marybeth76 June 5th, 2013 11:33 AM

I use a fan that makes a ridiculous amount of noise. I use it for his naps and when I first put him down in the evening, but there is no way I can sleep with it on and he sleeps next to me so I turn it off when I go to bed.

LadieBug June 5th, 2013 12:50 PM

We have a soothing sounds lamb (not sure the exact name, its in with her right now napping) She sleeps so much sounder when its on. My only complaint is that it turns itself off after 60 minutes. I know she'd sleep better if it played all night, so I'll probably look into something new.

kbpeanut June 5th, 2013 03:52 PM

We just use his little monkey humidifier. (by crane). We also have an ipod in his room, so sometimes we play calming music (classical/enya/lullabyes/bocelli). It honestly doesn't appear to matter for him if we have sound or not. We do have a serenity star (by aden+anais) that has white noise and a couple other sounds on it, but they seem to keep him awake more than asleep. I wish I knew what kind my brother has for his LO. It's really great, and pretty sure it's nothing terribly fancy. I'll dig around, see if i can find out.

MammaWannaBe June 5th, 2013 04:24 PM

we just use my ipad and have a mix that I use for Vivi during naptime. Other than that at night she goes down without noise.

I've heard of the white noise lamb thing though. I think my SIL uses it and it works out pretty well for them!

d_tops June 8th, 2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadieBug (Post 27423918)
We have a soothing sounds lamb (not sure the exact name, its in with her right now napping)

Is it a "Sleep Sheep?"

We use a fan, too. It's away from his crib and pointed away from him, so it's not blowing on him. It's a little rickety but seems to work to drown out the construction noise next door that starts very early and goes all day.

My SIL had luck with a Brookstone sound machine. Plenty of options for white noise or other sounds, and they used it every time they put my nephew down, and made space in the suitcase when they traveled with him. (Actually, he's almost 2 and I think they still use it.) I believe it works on batteries or plugged in.

mojomama June 8th, 2013 09:42 AM

I just use an app on my phone if he's being particularly restless, but I hate not having my phone on me. Thanks for the thread, though, because it reminded me that I totally have an old smartphone kicking around that I could use for that! Yes!

RobynL June 9th, 2013 08:56 PM

We have a white noise machine from amazon. I swear by it. I know it is a bit pricey, but we have used it since my dd (3.5 years) came home from the hospital. I even love sleeping with it on!
Marpac Dohm-DS Dual Speed Sound Conditioner:Amazon:Health & Personal Care

In my room I have a cheapy sound machine that my mom handed down to me. I use when we co sleep. It isn't as good, but does the job. I think we use the rain setting.

We also have the sleep sheep. But don't really use it because it turns off during the night. Although, maybe I will try using it when he naps in my room. Might help a bit since his naps are usually less than an hour anyways.

joellejello June 10th, 2013 10:41 AM

I have this sound machine for my 2 year old:
Amazon. It works really well for him.

Taylor is in our room and we have a fan on for noise, I'll probably get another one of the above when we can finally reclaim her room for her to sleep in.