JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   January 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1820-january-2013-playroom/)
-   -   i need some advice! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1820-january-2013-playroom/2682799-i-need-some-advice.html)

topato October 1st, 2013 12:58 PM

i need some advice!

hey ladies,

here's the situation... harvey is 8 1/2 months old now, i've been on the mini pill since my six week pp checkup, i am still breast feeding a few times a day (morning, bedtime, and maybe 2x during the day), aaaaaaaand i haven't seen the witch yet.

that said, dh and i are thinking it *might* be time to start trying for number two. so, i tossed my pills a few days ago, and we're planning to ntnp for a while.

so... how impossible do you think it'll be for me to get pregnant? should i be waiting until he's not bf'ing *at all* or until af returns? ...and does anyone know when i should expect that to happen? lol

also, am i crazy? hahah!!

nursingmama October 2nd, 2013 06:33 PM

Re: i need some advice!

lol I dont think you are crazy. It might take a few months to conceive. some women start AF as soon as they dont BF exclusively and some women dont start until they stop BF completely. With DS1 I got AF at 9 months PP and conceived DS2 at 10 months PP. I was still BF multiple times a day but he was taking solids. Shortly after I got pregnant my supply did take a dive but DS1 BF (mostly for comfort 1-2x/day) until he was 14 months.

Also when AF returned at 9 months I thought it would be regular but i didnt get a positive pregnancy test until 2.5 weeks after what should have been my second postpartum AF. So obviously I ovulated later that I would have expected. Good luck trying for baby #2!!!!! :dust:

Jules_loves_beaches October 3rd, 2013 09:43 AM

I got my first AF right around 6 months post partum and I was BF'ing and pumping every 2 hours when I wasnt around Ember. I was sort of shocked I got it so early, but every woman is different. I have only gotten AF 2x and I am over 9 months postpartum. I know my cycles still haven't regulated, but I know I am ovulating its just hard to predict when exactly that happens. I know my supply takes a hit every time I get AF, but goes back after she is gone, so I can only image what would happen with the hormones from pregnancy.

I don't think you are crazy for trying for another now. Your babies would be close in age which I suspect would be really fun and you don't really know how long it might take to get pregnant since its harder to predict when you are ovulating. Just be prepared because it might happen right away :) I sort of wish we were TTC right now, but DH wants to wait a little longer which I am okay with for now. :) Good luck!!!

nursingmama October 3rd, 2013 12:59 PM

DH and I were NTNP as soon as DS1 was born and because my PP AF hadnt shown up I took A LOT of pregnancy tests lol. You might wanna by a bunch from online because it gets pricey ;)

topato October 3rd, 2013 02:56 PM

lol i placed my order two days ago!

nursingmama, since you conceived at 10 mo pp, you seem like the perfect person to ask: having gone through having a newborn with another lo under the age of 2, would you steer me towards or away from this decision! lol

see... i'm excited at the prospect of harvey getting a sibling that is close to his own age-- we just moved a few hours away from our families, and this way, he will have someone to grow up with! i'm set on trying *soon*... i stopped taking my pills and i bought the pregnancy tests. but i'm still admittedly a little unsure if i'm making a mistake by aiming for this timeline. like, should i think twice about ending up with two lo's that are in diapers at the same time?

but, honestly, my main concern was that i might do emotional harm to harvey by abruptly weaning him and not easing him into the transition. so, i've got to say, you're already easing my concern by saying you were able to comfort-bf your older one for a few more months.

let's just say... my husband and i are open to suggestion, and any advice you have for me would be greatly appreciated!!!

nursingmama October 3rd, 2013 05:00 PM

i LOVE having them so close together!!!! They play all the time and entertain each other, I think they will continue to get closer as they grow older and hopefully be best friends. It was really nice having Felix when Leo was 19 months because Leo was too young to know anything about jealousy and took to Felix right away. Having two in diapers wasnt bad but we potty trained Leo at 20 months so we really only had a month of it.
In regards to the weaning Leo didnt seem to mind at all; it was very gradual and he eventually stopped bf because my milks texture (and probably taste) changed. but he didnt seemed bothered by it, he was just over it lol. I just let him lead the way in terms of weaning and didnt force or rush anything :)
Leo loves Felix and growing up with a sibling close in age teaches him how to share. We dont have family out here and I love that they have each other to play and bond with. It is stressful (and very loud) at times but I wouldnt change it for the world! For us it was a great decision to have them close together and we will have our next one close also (hopefully!)

Sorry for the novel!

topato October 3rd, 2013 06:46 PM

no, that's perfect. i think it's exactly what i needed to hear. thank you!!

nursingmama October 6th, 2013 09:25 PM

youre welcome!!

topato October 7th, 2013 08:02 AM

follow up question!

i looked up some info about the mini pill i'd been taking, and it says that even if i haven't gotten a period, i'm considered "fertile" 24 hours after my last pill. so, since i have no idea if/when i'll be ovulating, at what point would you suggest i take a pregnancy test?

nursingmama October 7th, 2013 01:58 PM

im no help there, maybe one of the other ladies will have better info for you. I just randomly took tests every few weeks lol

Lyndsey2013 October 10th, 2013 05:09 PM

Well... if you're not sure, the best time to test would be about 14 days after doing the dance... 10 if you're impatient ;)

topato October 23rd, 2013 11:37 AM

quick update: its been a few weeks since i stopped the mini pill, and still no af. dh and i have been bding a lot, but since i have no clue what my cycle is, im testing once aweek. the last time i tested was on sunday, and nothin.

i dont want this to become an obsession, so i dont really wanna start charting or temping, but man, id at least like to know whether or not im ovulating, kwim? am i wasting tests? lol