JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   JM Polls and Challenges (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f378-jm-polls-and-challenges/)
-   -   Should kids be paid for good grades? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f378-jm-polls-and-challenges/2286688-should-kids-paid-for-good-grades.html)

LadyCoconut March 26th, 2011 11:00 AM

Should kids be paid for good grades?

What are your takes on this?

mary30 March 27th, 2011 12:33 PM

Re: Should kids be paid for good grades?

I voted no,

tjsgirl July 4th, 2011 01:26 PM

No

Ashl3y July 4th, 2011 01:37 PM

No.

Aillidh July 4th, 2011 07:19 PM

I voted no, good grades are expected of them...

MauMama July 4th, 2011 07:37 PM

My grandmother paid us $1 for an A and 50c for a B. I always had straight As but it was horrendous pressure for my brother. He never succeeded (has severe dyslexia) and just struggled so much with that additional pressure.

My daughter has Aspergers and we will be lucky if she survives school, let alone carries straight As or Bs.

CeilidhBrennan July 6th, 2011 12:09 AM

No. But I didn't vote because the only option to vote is "It's expected of them". I want my child to work to the best of their ability, not work for good grades, if that makes sense. As long as they get enough to get job, I'm not overly bothered. Call me a bad mum if you wish.

superwoman8977 July 6th, 2011 07:28 AM

We pay 10.00 for A's and 5.00 for b's. My 8 yr old earned 65.00 this grading period and 200.00 for the whole year. He got a's and b's all year. We work for a paycheck so why shouldnt kids have something to work towards. He had to put 10% in his tithe and 10% to savings and got to spend the rest which he bought a new airsoft gun and gear and some new tires for his bike.

nicole617 July 12th, 2011 10:36 AM

For b's and up

jackpercy57 August 4th, 2011 08:39 PM

For b's and up

mommywriter August 5th, 2011 06:39 PM

I'm with the no majority on this one - I about flipped when my 7 yr. old jokingly asked "if I pay you, can I watch TV" (he had had the tv taken away as punishment)

What a kicker huh?

joey_emmysmommy August 5th, 2011 08:56 PM

We pay them $1.00 for A's and .50 cents for each B but they don't have to make a's and b's it's just something they get for working so hard they don't even think about it until I give it to them when I see thier report cards but they always make a's and b's I think my son has made 1 c ever I don't push them on their grades I know they work really hard on their school work.

Kathica August 6th, 2011 08:06 AM

No - bad concept to begin

really bad

TerinAleah27 August 27th, 2011 08:45 AM

I used to get paid for each A, so that's probably what I'll do with my kids :)

speechteach42 October 5th, 2011 07:53 AM

No way!!!

LJD3Tdance October 5th, 2011 11:06 PM

I voted other. I think this is a case by case basis and stuff. I don't see anything wrong with it though.

gctattoo October 6th, 2011 03:03 PM

Absolutely not. Getting good grades is as much of a skill as singing, dancing, or drawing. There are some kids who simply aren't able to get good grades regardless of how hard they try or how much they study. And there are kids who don't need to crack a book to get good grades.

How can you reward someone for something that is possibly a natural ability? And in turn, penalize another who may be doing the best they can but unable to succeed? You might as well give a kid money for being able to sing while their sibling who cannot gets nothing. Sound unfair? Yes. And to me, so is getting paid for good grades.

.:Kati:. September 3rd, 2012 01:29 AM

Nope,they shouldn't. I shouldn't and will not bribe my child to have good grades.

misty3281 September 5th, 2012 07:38 AM

I voted other. I think it depends on the child and their abilities which only the parent knows. I sat down with DSD before school started and we made a list together of things she gets to do if she makes all a's or all b's. I don't see anything wrong with rewarding a child for doing good work. I believe encouraging a child to do their best and helping them if they get stumped on something is a good thing.

PurpleQueen September 12th, 2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gctattoo (Post 24973612)
Absolutely not. Getting good grades is as much of a skill as singing, dancing, or drawing. There are some kids who simply aren't able to get good grades regardless of how hard they try or how much they study. And there are kids who don't need to crack a book to get good grades.

How can you reward someone for something that is possibly a natural ability? And in turn, penalize another who may be doing the best they can but unable to succeed? You might as well give a kid money for being able to sing while their sibling who cannot gets nothing. Sound unfair? Yes. And to me, so is getting paid for good grades.

thats a great way to say it i like this explanation