JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   July 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1892-july-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Push gifts? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1892-july-2013-playroom/2631912-push-gifts.html)

ninja_mommy March 5th, 2013 10:21 AM

Push gifts?

What are your thoughts on this subject? I get the idea behind it, but my push gift will be the baby! :wub:

sethsgirl March 5th, 2013 10:32 AM

Re: Push gifts?

Mine will be the baby as well!

captivate March 5th, 2013 10:54 AM

Its common here in England for a mother to get a gift after having a child. I have always been a spend the money on the baby not me person though so I have neevr had one and wouldnt want one. x

doodoosmom March 5th, 2013 11:00 AM

I think it's a nice idea but not something I expect..I'd rather the gift be for baby then for me.

Aramsamsam March 5th, 2013 11:24 AM

Ha ha, I hadn't heard that term. It's a little crass, but I like it. I wouldn't mind a push gift! But I don't expect one.

.:fearless:. March 5th, 2013 11:41 AM

I think they are SO silly, lol, but if someone wants to get me a gift they can haha

MamaLemonade March 5th, 2013 11:44 AM

Nope, my gift will be baby and my body back :)

Kiam March 5th, 2013 12:12 PM

It's a very new concept here and to be honest, I find it very distasteful and heavily degrading.

If women around the world find it okay to be petted on their head by their husbands, not unlike Farmer Hoggett in Babe when he says "That'll do pig" then presented with a shiny trinket for their efforts, then hey, they can go and enjoy that, but if my husband treats me as a fickle, materialistic creature who has just done him a service by "birthing his child" then his balls will be in a blender.

I just find it so cheap, is pregnancy and birth comparable to a pretty little knick knack?

Easton's Mommy March 5th, 2013 12:42 PM

DH felt so bad for how bad my morning sickness was/is that for Christmas he got me my matching 1/2 carat wedding band for the other side of my ring... he said he wanted to wait and give it to me till the birth just as a symbol that our family was/is complete (we only want two kids) but he felt so bad for everything I was going through that I got it early. So I liked his meaning alot and love my wedding ring even more now kind of a first comes love (one wedding band), then comes marriage (my engagement ring), then comes the babies (my matching wedding band).

LeslieRN72 March 5th, 2013 01:23 PM

I had never heard of them until we had our second son. I guess all of the women my husband works with bugged him about what he was getting me for a push present. They live in the fancy north suburbs of the city where things like that must be the norm. He ended up taking their advice. I would have been none the wiser if he had not bought me anything.

I sure as heck didn't complain! He bought me a beautiful David Yurman ring. My husband likes it because he now has something he knows he can buy me for big occasions. I've gotten several more pieces to match since then. I'm a big fan of David Yurman because I'm not a delicate person and his pieces are both beautiful and sturdy. My kids can yank on them all they want and they don't budge. David Yurman and travel are my two weaknesses.

OnesOnTheWay March 5th, 2013 01:33 PM

Never heard of it.. and don't expect anything! Considering we will be spending a lot of money buying items for baby & me leading up to the birth, I can't imagine expecting anything!

captivate March 5th, 2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiam (Post 27164428)
It's a very new concept here and to be honest, I find it very distasteful and heavily degrading.

If women around the world find it okay to be petted on their head by their husbands, not unlike Farmer Hoggett in Babe when he says "That'll do pig" then presented with a shiny trinket for their efforts, then hey, they can go and enjoy that, but if my husband treats me as a fickle, materialistic creature who has just done him a service by "birthing his child" then his balls will be in a blender.

I just find it so cheap, is pregnancy and birth comparable to a pretty little knick knack?

lol lovely way of putting it but its not like that here.

Here its like a holiday when you have recovered from the birth. A post par spa visit or a massage. A friend of mine got a ring from her husband with 3 stones to signal her, her hubby and their first child. Another friend of mine her boyfriend paid for her tattoo of babys name and birth. Its a special thing between the couple to symbol their child like a ring for a marriage which I see as claiming someone..

Oh and here they dont call it a push gift. Thats a term America has adopted. Here they are the post maternity gifts. Tony wants to get me a locket on a gold chain with the babys first photo in.. I dont wear chains or the like and I would rather spend the money on a new stroller for next summer or something. kwim.

Kiam March 5th, 2013 01:48 PM

Here it's a gift given in hospital after the birth. Often given to occupy the mother when the baby is off for testing.

captivate March 5th, 2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiam (Post 27164858)
Here it's a gift given in hospital after the birth. Often given to occupy the mother when the baby is off for testing.

Bugger that for a game of soldiers. I don't feel like I would be able to take anything for me in hospital. That is a time for close familly to come with gifts for the baby not me. I have what I want.. a baby and ive managed to birth it and I want to go home not have a gift to occupy me.. I will have enough to occupy me..

Kiam March 5th, 2013 02:07 PM

Hence my strong dislike, haha.

Kisses-4-Baby March 5th, 2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiam (Post 27164428)
... not unlike Farmer Hoggett in Babe when he says "That'll do pig" then presented with a shiny trinket for their efforts...

Haha! I laughed out loud when I read this!
I've never had a push gift, and also don't expect one. I just want an uncomplicated labour and delivery with a healthy baby and healthy Mumma :) having said that, absolutely no judgement on those women who accept 'push gifts' after birth. I don't see anything wrong with, really. Of course the baby is the real gift :D

HappilyTogether March 5th, 2013 02:32 PM

I've never heard of a push gift before.

mommytomattea March 5th, 2013 03:46 PM

I agree a baby is a good enough gift for me :)

bellabri287 March 5th, 2013 05:18 PM

Never would expect one, 2 healthy babies will be the best gift ever. :) But I wouldn't be upset about it if DH did something like a momento item to symbolize our new larger family or something sweet like flowers. A gift that has no meaning would not be OK, heres the new memory stick for your camera you wanted and an iTunes gift card, um no.

LadyGamer March 5th, 2013 10:40 PM

I love the idea. Not as a reward for getting baby out, because that sounds horrible, but as something special to commemorate the day and baby's birth. Maybe a little birth stone necklace charm or something. I do like the idea :) Will I get one? Nope.