JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   July 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1892-july-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Gift to older child from baby? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1892-july-2013-playroom/2633546-gift-to-older-child-baby.html)

laur2laur March 10th, 2013 05:22 PM

Gift to older child from baby?

Have you heard of the baby getting the older sibling a gift when you come home from the hospital? Any ideas of what to get? Have you done this or know of others?

sethsgirl March 10th, 2013 05:39 PM

Re: Gift to older child from baby?

We did it for DS when DS2 was born. DS1 picked out a bear to give to his new brother and since DS1 was very into duplo Legos he got that. I'm sure some people do more of a gift they keep for a long time but DS1 still remembers it almost 2 years later and loved it. This time we'll do the same thing where the boys can pick something out to give to their new sister and then either I will get something before to have there for them or DH will get something before they come to meet her.

MeggysMommy March 10th, 2013 06:17 PM

I think we will probably do something like this for Megan and her sister. That way Moo doesn't feel left out with all things new baby.

Easton's Mommy March 10th, 2013 06:23 PM

DH and I were just talking about this the other night. I think we are going to get something for DS when little girl is born just so he doesn't feel left out.

Jessifer March 10th, 2013 07:55 PM

My brother is 4 years younger than I and our birthdays are only two days apart (me on the 13th and my bro on the 15th). I already had a sister and I wanted a brother SO badly! I remember my parents telling me that I would be getting a baby brother for my birthday and I was so excited about it (pretty risky, considering they didn't even know the sex!)

Kisses-4-Baby March 11th, 2013 04:24 AM

I think it's a lovely idea to get the children something small to celebrate the birth of their baby brother/sister. Doesn't have to be an expensive gift, just something small :)

tela March 11th, 2013 09:45 AM

what a great idea! i hadn't thought of it, but i would def like to do something like this for DS.

mommamuffin March 11th, 2013 10:16 AM

I think it's a good idea. With my godson we gave him gifts at his little sisters shower but not at his birth. He seemed to like that :) he was around 2 1/2.

LeslieRN72 March 11th, 2013 12:44 PM

Build-a-Bear has small recorders that can be inserted into the stuffed animal. We took our son to an OB appointment and recorded the fetal doppler heartbeat onto the recorder. We then took our son to Build-a-Bear and let him pick out a stuffed animal. Whenever he squeezes the horse paw he can hear his brother's heartbeat. He thought that was really cool.

offthewallfilms March 11th, 2013 12:44 PM

Probably. She did get gifts at her baby cousin's shower (since she was the only cousin/grand baby in the family for 4 years).
It would be nice to pick her up something although the baby is due around her birthday so she might be all gift-ed out by that time or it be her actual birthday!
We'll play it by ear!

-erin- March 18th, 2013 02:00 PM

I know I'm late on this thread, but dh and I were just talking about getting dd her own digital camera (kid version) either for her bday in June, or for the birth, so she can take her own pics.

ninja_mommy March 20th, 2013 12:27 PM

We already got DD a toy. One of those things they sit on and hop around on. She's wanted one for awhile, so it will be perfect :) Don't think it will be coming to the hospital though. Probably just give it to her when we get home.

OceanGirl March 20th, 2013 02:00 PM

We are definitely doing this for our daughter but I haven't decided whst yet. It is very important to me. I still remember getting a snow globe when my little brother was born. It doesn't have to be something, big, just something special.

-erin- March 20th, 2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanGirl (Post 27213389)
We are definitely doing this for our daughter but I haven't decided whst yet. It is very important to me. I still remember getting a snow globe when my little brother was born. It doesn't have to be something, big, just something special.

My mom gave me a book when my youngest sister was born, I should look and see if I still have it and give it to dd :)