JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   July 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1892-july-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Wanted to share something a bit sweet (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1892-july-2013-playroom/2646330-wanted-to-share-something-bit-sweet.html)

Kiam April 26th, 2013 09:40 PM

Wanted to share something a bit sweet

Bit of a back story to it though, my paternal Grandmother has paranoid schizophrenia, back in the days of mandatory institutionalisation of people with mental illnesses she was institutionalised by the government and given electro-shock therapy, as you can imagine, electro-shock therapy on people who were not classed as "proper people" in the 70's was not anything of benefit and sadly the result is that now, there really is not a lot going on there. She is in a psychiatric care home, and has been all my life (which of course is nothing like the institution, it is a proper care facility) sometimes she remembers who you are, sometimes she doesn't, sometimes she knows what date and time she is in, sometimes she doesn't, sometimes she is very lucid and other than slurred speech you wouldn't pick that something is 'wrong' there, but most of the time she rambles a lot of things that don't make sense.

Anyway, I have to admit that I haven't seen her since last Christmas, I have spoken to her on the phone, but she hasn't physically seen me since I have started showing, she was told that I am pregnant, but she usually needs to actually see something to register it in her mind, you can tell her something exists, but until she actually sees it, it usually does not register as being a thing, and at that, she needs to see it several times in order to remember it. So we assumed that until baby is born and she has met baby, she won't register that she is a Great-Grandmother (as it was the same for each Grandchild, she couldn't quite grasp the idea of us existing until she physically held us).

Well, something is sticking here, she has ben told many times that I am pregnant, and something appears to be going on here, because yesterday, this came in the mail:

http://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...1ecedc29bd.jpg

I cannot make heads or tails of the note that came with it, apparently she lost the ability to write following the 'therapy', she thinks her writing is fine but it is just scribble, but the return address on the parcel was her address, so I gave her a call and she told me that she knitted it all by herself for the baby.

So something stuck so clearly becoming a Great-Grandmother is dominating her thoughts here because in order for her to knit something of that size, at the pace she goes, she had to have been at it for at least 4 or 5 months.

It's not the most... professional looking blanket in the world, but it really made me smile.

NinjaCakes April 26th, 2013 10:02 PM

Re: Wanted to share something a bit sweet

That is so sweet. More so for the sheer amount of work that she must have put into it. I can't imagine how special this must feel :)

getnthere April 26th, 2013 10:12 PM

Wow that is an amazing story and lovely gift.

jersey_gray April 26th, 2013 10:54 PM

Now that is something to be treasured!!!

OceanGirl April 27th, 2013 12:00 AM

That is soooo sweet! You can really tell how much work she put into it.

jkgreen April 27th, 2013 05:12 AM

Definitely a treasure for you and for baby! I love it!!

LadyGamer April 27th, 2013 06:36 AM

That is amazingly special. Make sure that stays in a safe place, because I'm sure it will be cherished by your wee baby when she's older :)

pearlica April 27th, 2013 06:46 AM

aw, I love it! That is so special!

Logiesmomma April 27th, 2013 06:53 AM

That's a very special gift with a very special story. Such a treasure.

Hsmom85 April 27th, 2013 06:55 AM

This absolutely melted my heart.

bellabri287 April 27th, 2013 07:13 PM

that is so sweet, thanks for sharing! that blanket is going to be so special.

ahruska April 27th, 2013 07:24 PM

That is so sweet of her!

bklynfinest77 April 27th, 2013 07:27 PM

aaaaww that so sweet .. i know it must of really touched you!

Krisnina April 27th, 2013 08:04 PM

Super sweet, almost made me cry :)

marriedtoamountie April 27th, 2013 08:42 PM

:wub: LOVE it!!!!! SO sweet!!!

Easton's Mommy April 28th, 2013 01:59 PM

this made me tear up... very sweet!

doodoosmom April 28th, 2013 03:35 PM

Awww I love it, that is so sweet!

MeggysMommy April 28th, 2013 05:29 PM

Aww that is wonderful!

OnesOnTheWay April 28th, 2013 05:45 PM

Wow... special doesn't even begin to describe it!! What a sweet sweet story....