JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   July 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1892-july-2013-playroom/)
-   -   pediatrician questions (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1892-july-2013-playroom/2649690-pediatrician-questions.html)

NinjaCakes May 10th, 2013 02:53 PM

pediatrician questions

First let me apologize in advance, my computer is on the fritz so I'm on my phone. My phone really doesn't like JM. Especially with the new facebook/ plus buttons. I think those are why I could only get my computer to let me on for a few minutes.

The other post got me thinking about pediatricians. I asked around for recommendations today and got a few. I do want to dig a little. I found nothing on Angie's list at all. I figured I could call with some questions, and the receptionist said I could make consultation appointments instead, so I could meet the doctors. I went ahead with that. I don't really like the idea of taking my baby to a total stranger. I've had too many bad doctors myself.

Anyway, I was thinking about it and realized I have no idea what I'll ask other than about delayed vaccinations. What do I need to know about a pedi before I choose them? What questions might be good to ask now?

Kiam May 10th, 2013 04:01 PM

Re: pediatrician questions

My phone doesn't like the facebook and plus button either. I just can't use the site on my phone any more.

Off the top of my head,

Do they offer home visits
How far in advance do you usually need to book / if child is sick are you likely to get a same-day appointment

Ooh, this is tricky... I've never heard of interviewing doctors until yesterday on the board.

bellabri287 May 10th, 2013 04:26 PM

I am interested in this one too! :) Obviously hehe.

I dont know any Dr that will do a home visit here, that would be so nice if they did.

I think the appointment wait time is very important, methods of contact. I know all my Drs are now available pretty quickly via email, I get labs via email ect. You can ask about that?

MeggysMommy May 10th, 2013 04:26 PM

Umm I'm really no help because I didn't interview mine beforehand but we lucked out and have had no problems.

Some things I can think of off hand are:
~Do you have another doc/NP that sees patients if you can't?(My pediatrician has a NP who works Tues/Thurs to see patients on her days off)
~I agree about asking how far in advance or difficult it is to get appts same day or at least next day

Umm dang I'm drawing a blank for anything else. If I can come up with more I will post them.

OceanGirl May 10th, 2013 06:22 PM

Do you have same day sick kid visits?
Do you have a 24 hour nurse call line?
Do you have separate waiting areas for sick vs well kids?
Do you have hospital rights where I am delivery?
What are your thoughts on delayed vaccination/circumcision/other hot topics.
How long is the average visit? (Will doctor allow adequate time to answer allyour questions or rush through a visit)
How do you stay current with recent medical developments?
Do you accept my insurance?

Btw, my laptop has been broken for several months. So annoying! That is why I always have so many typos. I gave up on that a while ago.

Logiesmomma May 11th, 2013 12:39 PM

Here's what I could think...
Do you support mother's who want to breastfeed/ formula feed?
Is there a way to contact you or your office online? (For test results, questions, lab work, to schedule appoints, refill Rx)
Are there other doctors in your practice to be seen if you're busy/sick/on vacation?
How long have you been a pediatrician?

NinjaCakes May 14th, 2013 11:02 AM

Many thanks ladies :) I think you came up with a lot of good stuff! A lot I sure never thought of!