JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   July 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1892-july-2013-playroom/)
-   -   freezer meals (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1892-july-2013-playroom/2659566-freezer-meals.html)

apradams June 18th, 2013 09:17 AM

freezer meals

Need ideas for freezer meals -- any site or recipes would be greatly appreciated. Want to start doing this as I know with 3 kids I will not want to be cooking anytime soon.
Thanks
April and baby Emmit

bellabri287 June 18th, 2013 09:53 AM

Re: freezer meals

You favorite recipe of spaghetti sauce, i just did this and have jars ready, thaw & boil noodles. I throw tons of veggies in mine so I don't HAVE to have a salad with it.

You can do stuffed shells and freeze them, ditto lasagna just assemble and freeze.

I just made a chicken curry recipe and froze that in jars, thaw & make rice.

I have a hamburger stroganoff that freezes well, thaw & boil noodles.

Chilis and stews freeze well, if you like chili & stew... I don't.

I don't know many like casseroles that freeze well cuz I don't have room for that in my freezer. Hopefully someone else chimes in. :)

OnesOnTheWay June 18th, 2013 09:56 AM

http://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...dcbba4c310.jpg

Recipe Link:Enchilada Lasagna | Mogwai Soup

I use 2 cans of cream of chicken instead of cream of celery and I do not use anywhere near 5 cups of cheese.
I usually halve the recipe though because just my husband and I eat it :)

offthewallfilms June 18th, 2013 11:09 AM

I never did this with my first.
It seems like a good idea though. Where do you ladies find the time? LOL

Shea131 June 18th, 2013 11:24 AM

I hate cooking. It's going to be my hubby's job to feed us! lol

writergurrl June 18th, 2013 12:38 PM

I make and freeze stuff all the time, just for ease. Here are my favorite suggestions:

- Spaghetti pie, lasagna, baked ziti, any type of baked pasta (In this case, you would boil noodles and assemble, then freeze before the baking stage, then thaw and bake)

- Egg casseroles made with egg, some milk, cooked sausage or bacon, cooked veg, etc. (assemble and freeze raw, then thaw and bake). Same can be done with quiche.

- Soups, stews, chili

- Casseroles. I make a standard casserole with this formula: Starch (cooked noodles or rice), cooked meat, veggie (like frozen peas), white sauce (typically cream of something soup with some milk added), shredded cheese, seasonings (salt & pepper, seasoning salt, garlic powder, onion powder). Assemble, freeze, then thaw and bake.

- Meatloaf and meatballs (flash freeze first) freeze well. I freeze them raw and then thaw and bake/cook.

- Baked mac and cheese freezes well (I use a recipe that has eggs and freeze before baking).

- Twice baked potatoes freeze well.

- Pre-cooked rice also freezes well for a quick side dish or a way to make fried rice.

Other things that freeze well are PB&J sandwiches (spread PB on both slices of bread to avoid soggy bread) and French Toast sticks. I've also successfully frozen waffles and pancakes, although they aren't as good as fresh.

apradams June 18th, 2013 02:44 PM

thanks for the great responses -- you ladies rock -- i have some time starting next week and need to get moving as I will be 36 weeks and be delivering at 38.5 weeks!! It's coming fast ---

LilSunshine June 18th, 2013 02:46 PM

Ooh! A few friends and I made some meals last week! It's on my to do list to put them all in a doc so we have them for future meal making....when I get that done I'll post it. :)

bellabri287 June 18th, 2013 04:38 PM

as for finding time, i just double the recipes i was making that night.

Jessifer June 18th, 2013 05:23 PM

My sister is coming this weekend and we plan on cooking a storm. I've been trying to come up with things we can make using a variety of proteins and not just ground beef. Here are some ideas we've been tossing around:

- spaghetti sauce
- lasagna
- chicken pot pie & quiches
- sweet & sour meatballs
- Spanish croquettes (these are sort of like fish-based patties rolled in the shape of a finger, dipped in egg and coated in bread crumbs. You can assemble them and flash freeze them in ziplock bags. This is a new recipe we have, so we made a small batch yesterday and froze just a few to see what they taste like once they're thawed and fried)
- stews (I have a few Cuban recipes my husband likes. Some of them are basically like bean soups you pour over rice, others are meat-based with either chicken or pork)

I figure we can make the spaghetti sauce and the stews in the crockpot, which will free up space on the stovetop to cook all of our other stuff.

Kiam June 18th, 2013 05:51 PM

I'm consulting my favourite website for this one:
Freezer Friendly Recipes collection - Taste.com.au

Quote:

Originally Posted by offthewallfilms (Post 27457646)
I never did this with my first.
It seems like a good idea though. Where do you ladies find the time? LOL

What I have started doing is making double quantity when I cook dinner, eat half and freeze half. So it slowly is building up and I am not taking any extra time out of my day to cook everything.

.:fearless:. June 18th, 2013 08:10 PM

Pizza casserole, a taco bake (just noodles, taco seasoning, peppers and hamburger!), cheesy potatoes, lasagna, chicken enchiladas...meatloaf...just about anything can be frozen and then baked or thrown into the crock pot!

mommamuffin June 18th, 2013 08:15 PM

I think I better eat some crappy frozen food that's taking up my freezer space and get cooking!:P

GranolaMamaOf3 June 19th, 2013 09:07 AM

I was introduced to the idea of freezer crock pot meals while packing for a long distance move. It's genius! Just put the contents of the freezer bag in the crock pot and you're done! The blog I originally used for inspiration has actually compiled a whole eCookbook that I think could come in handy! Slow Cooker Freezer Recipes eCookbook

PS- She says her recipes are 95% grain/gluten free and dairy free, so this is great even for those with food sensitivities!

Jessifer June 19th, 2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GranolaMama (Post 27460258)
I was introduced to the idea of freezer crock pot meals while packing for a long distance move. It's genius! Just put the contents of the freezer bag in the crock pot and you're done! The blog I originally used for inspiration has actually compiled a whole eCookbook that I think could come in handy! Slow Cooker Freezer Recipes eCookbook

PS- She says her recipes are 95% grain/gluten free and dairy free, so this is great even for those with food sensitivities!

I just looked at the website and it sounds great! I guess in my mind, I had to cook everything in the crockpot and THEN freeze it. Never actually thought about assembling everything for the freezer and THEN cooking it! Makes sense, though! I will definitely be trying some of these.

Jessifer June 19th, 2013 03:19 PM

On another note, I really want to kick my husband's butt when I came home from work. He's been working part-time and he had the day off today. For his lunch, I found out that he actually took out one of the pre-made manicottis in the freezer... Those are meals I froze to use AFTER the birth, when we get really really busy!

I said "AHEM... what do you think you're doing???!!! You were at home all day - get off your behind and make your lunch from scratch! I didn't make those for YOU!" :rolleyes:

ReidsMommyPlus1 June 19th, 2013 04:04 PM

I just scoured my Pinterest board :) I need to work on this too. All of this stuff seems like it would freeze well. Lots of soups.

Lasagna soup (prob my favorite soup recipe of all time)
Grub / most favorited all-time - page 2 | foodgawker

Orzo soup
spinach tomato orzo soup | Grub

Tomato basil soup
Grub / Homemade Tomato Basil Soup

Vegetarian tortilla soup
Grub / Spicy Vegetarian Tortilla Soup

French onion and mushroom soup
Grub / French Onion and Mushroom Soup

Chicken, bacon, and wild rice soup
Grub / Crock pot chicken bacon and wild rice soup

Tom kah soup
Grub / Tom Kah Soup

Chunky veggie soup
chunky veg soup | Grub

Homemade backed beans
Grub / The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond

Creamy artichoke lasagna
Grub / creamy artichoke lasagna - I love the move away from regular lasagna

apradams June 19th, 2013 05:49 PM

thank y'all all so much --- Reading all of this made me crave lasagna -- SO I made one today --- yummy for the tummy -- it's only me and the boys home -- one doesn't eat it and the other wasn't in the mood so he had a small piece -- Looks like i'll have a whole lot of that to freeze
April and baby Emmit