JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   July 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1892-july-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Csection Mamas - Incision Help? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1892-july-2013-playroom/2667087-csection-mamas-incision-help.html)

bellabri287 July 22nd, 2013 12:04 AM

Csection Mamas - Incision Help?

Ladies who has a csection, how did you keep your incision clean and dry? How long did it take to fully heal?

I am curious, mine was closed with glue and dissolving stitches. The glue is flaking off, like its supposed to but now I have some parts of skin next to the incision that look red. It is not hot or infected looking/smelling but its red, possibly just skin irritation? It has a belly button like smell too, I asked my Dr and he said that its nothing to be worried about unless it seems infected, anyone else have this? I have a big flap of fat/skin that folds over the incision, its still very swollen so DH has to help me clean/keep it dry. I think that flap is trapping a little moisture, I folded a maxi pad and have it tucked in there in hopes it says dry, any other ideas?

MeggysMommy July 22nd, 2013 04:55 AM

Re: Csection Mamas - Incision Help?

My doc said to use a washcloth because a pad will trap in moisture. You would just need to change the washcloth every so often when it starts to get wet from sweat. It sounds like it could be a skin irritation. Mine is already starting to get that way(happened last time too because of something in the steristrips). If you are able to maybe throughout the day lay down somewhere like your bed and let your incision air out? I've been doing this since it has been getting really warm in the house.

Kiam July 22nd, 2013 05:29 AM

Mine has/had waterproof adhesive bandages over some steri strips. After a week they took the waterproof stuff off and I just let the steri strips fall off in the shower.

Constantly wetting a wound encourages infection so I would be trying to air it out more than I would clean it.

I would avoid using a pad, if you think about how you feel after wearing a pad for an hour or so, you don't feel dry, they don't draw moisture away, they retain it.

Logiesmomma July 22nd, 2013 06:27 AM

My incision was mostly healed on the outside by my 2 week check up. After the shower I would dab it dry with a washcloth after air drying it for a few minutes. One side of my incision drained much more than the other which concerned me a little but my doctor said it was normal. I folded a wash cloth and put it on top of my incision and then wore my maternity pants over for some padded protection and to keep it dry.

-erin- July 22nd, 2013 08:49 AM

Last time around, and I'm doing the same so far this time, I don't really mess with it. I don't do much special to wash it, then after a shower I lay on my back, making sure my belly flab doesn't cover it too much so it has a chance to dry out some.

Jessifer July 22nd, 2013 11:49 AM

I have staples instead of sutures. My midwife is supposed to remove them today. At the hospital, I had the steri strip for two days, then before discharge they removed it and told me to let it air. I asked about putting topical cream but they said not to do anything with it. When I shower, I soap myself like I usually would and let it air dry. I haven't had any problems with it. Hopefully the staple removal today won't cause any issues.

bellabri287 July 22nd, 2013 03:32 PM

Great tip about the pads, I didn't make that connection! I tink air dyring under a fan in the bedroom when I can get 5 min, and a washcloth dabbing will just have to do.

When do you go back to the DR? I don't see mine until 6 week PP, seems like a long time before he checks my incision again but maybe thats the norm?

MeggysMommy July 22nd, 2013 03:35 PM

My doc does an incision check at 2wks PP then I go back at 6wks PP.

Dolly Lama July 22nd, 2013 03:58 PM

Lurking from Sept. :)

I had the mother of all belly flaps after my last c-section, so this was quite a problem for me. I ended up keeping my hair dryer near the bed, so I'd give it a blast of air whenever I could. Problem solved! Wish I would have thought of this with the first one which ended up taking so much longer to heal.

-erin- July 22nd, 2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeggysMommy (Post 27535243)
My doc does an incision check at 2wks PP then I go back at 6wks PP.

Ditto and that's how it was for my last one too

Logiesmomma July 22nd, 2013 06:58 PM

I went back at 2 weeks pp and then I go again at 6 weeks pp.

Kiam July 22nd, 2013 07:15 PM

I don't go back.
The maternal/children's health nurse can keep an eye on it, but if I think something isn't looking right I go to my GP.

MeggysMommy July 22nd, 2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiam (Post 27535643)
I don't go back.
The maternal/children's health nurse can keep an eye on it, but if I think something isn't looking right I go to my GP.

You don't have to do any sort of PP check?

Kiam July 22nd, 2013 11:06 PM

Nope.

The midwife came to my place the day after discharge to make sure I wasn't going insane, but from then on we just have the checks at the maternal health clinic (there are 10 of them up to age 3.5) and if there are any issues with either one of us we go to my doctor.

Jessifer July 23rd, 2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiam (Post 27536041)
Nope.

The midwife came to my place the day after discharge to make sure I wasn't going insane, but from then on we just have the checks at the maternal health clinic (there are 10 of them up to age 3.5) and if there are any issues with either one of us we go to my doctor.

Same here. My midwife came to my house on Friday to check on baby and I, and she came back yesterday to do the same and remove my staples. I have a 10-day check-up with her on Friday but it's more for baby than for me. He will be discharged from her care after 6 weeks, will go to by family physician for his shots at 8 weeks, and from then on will probably on need to see him if there are any problems.