JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   July 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1892-july-2013-playroom/)
-   -   oversupply / overactive letdown (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1892-july-2013-playroom/2679997-oversupply-overactive-letdown.html)

chessalove September 19th, 2013 09:25 AM

oversupply / overactive letdown

Anyone having this problem? I am, and it sucks. I just feel bad for Mila thinking of her little tummyaches. I'm trying to counter the problem but I can't stand the feeling of engorgement. So I squeeze some out and I think it's defeating the purpose.

NinjaCakes September 19th, 2013 01:54 PM

Re: oversupply / overactive letdown

Squeezing some out by hand is better than pumping IMO. I've been dealing with both as well and pumping always made it worse. I was told by an lc to hand express just enough to have relief. I know it is painful and frustrating, and I hate how block nursing just perpetuates her tummy aches and gas, but in time (I hope) it will level out.

Hsmom85 September 21st, 2013 08:52 PM

I wish I had this problem :/

I'm still taking 9 domperidone, 9 fenugreek and 9 blessed thistle a day. Plus oatmeal and drinking Nursing Mothers tea. And pumping multiple times a day.

Even with all of this we still have to supplement from time to time. Henry went 3 days last week without getting any formula and I was so happy I cried.

I'm not against formula in any way, shape or form and I was only planning on breastfeeding for two months...Until I had trouble breastfeeding and I became too determined and stubborn to stop trying!

It seems that no one has a 'perfect' breastfeeding experience. Everyone I know either makes too much or too little milk, both with their drawbacks.

Jessifer September 21st, 2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Houghtie (Post 27671251)

It seems that no one has a 'perfect' breastfeeding experience. Everyone I know either makes too much or too little milk, both with their drawbacks.

I have to admit that for me, I have absolutely no problems with the breastfeeding so far. I produce enough to feed my son and fill up a 5oz bottle every 1-2 days which is exactly the quantity I need. It's shocking because while pregnant and as a FTM, this was my biggest concern.

And please don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it to make anyone feel bad. On the contrary, I'm saying it so that people know that it is possible have a very positive and "easy" experience with breastfeeding. Perhaps not with their current child, but maybe for the next one? (Could go the other way for me too - maybe my next child, breastfeeding will not be so easy).

Hang in there, ladies - I really admire your dedication because to be honest, if I had been having difficulties I might have given up on breastfeeding a long time ago!

AmiraX4 September 22nd, 2013 11:23 AM

I have EB most of my 8 children and a few for almost 2 yrs. my last couple of babies I introduced Formula because of medical reasons for ME, so I appreciate ALL your views on doing what you can to BF and at the same time not knocking down those of us who for whatever reasons FF!!!

I hope you get supply to fit your babies/your needes without troubles real soon!! hang in there

Sugaree September 23rd, 2013 09:41 AM

We have had a little bit of trouble with oversupply. We had a rough first week and had to start pumping when he was about 4 days old. He had a lazy latch and was swallowing a lot of air when he nursed. He was almost exclusively bottlefed breastmilk for about two weeks while we worked on his latch, but managed to transition to a decent latch eventually. However, I think those first weeks contributed to an oversupply. It's finally started to level out and I was able to build up a lovely freezer stash, so I can't complain too much about it.

tela September 23rd, 2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessifer (Post 27671355)
I have to admit that for me, I have absolutely no problems with the breastfeeding so far. I produce enough to feed my son and fill up a 5oz bottle every 1-2 days which is exactly the quantity I need. It's shocking because while pregnant and as a FTM, this was my biggest concern.

And please don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it to make anyone feel bad. On the contrary, I'm saying it so that people know that it is possible have a very positive and "easy" experience with breastfeeding. Perhaps not with their current child, but maybe for the next one? (Could go the other way for me too - maybe my next child, breastfeeding will not be so easy).

Hang in there, ladies - I really admire your dedication because to be honest, if I had been having difficulties I might have given up on breastfeeding a long time ago!

This exactly. BF is so easy for me. DS1 self-weaned at 26 months. I pumped at work FT from 8 weeks to 1 year! It was tough, but I always had a perfect supply for him. It's been super easy with this baby. I too pump 3-5 oz/day for my freezer stash for returning to work and make the perfect amount for baby.