JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   July 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1892-july-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Christmas Present Traditions (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1892-july-2013-playroom/2692964-christmas-present-traditions.html)

LilSunshine November 17th, 2013 07:10 PM

Christmas Present Traditions

Brittany's (GamerMom) post on Christmas shopping got me thinking...Now that we have two kids (and one who is now more aware of how things work ...he's 5) I feel like we have to set some guidelines or something!

So....what do you do for Christmas present "traditions"? :)

Do you have a budget for each child (is it the same for each kid) and once you are done spending, you're done getting gifts, get them a certain number of gifts, or just shop and stop when you feel like it? ;)

Do they get presents from Santa or from mom and dad...or both?

Do you wrap their presents?

Do you fill a stocking?

Kiam November 17th, 2013 08:21 PM

Re: Christmas Present Traditions

Both DH and I didn't grow up with much, so to us buying lots of presents is peculiar, just because it's not what we are used to.

One present from parents and a present and a book from Santa. Santa's presents get put in a stocking and the one from us gets wrapped up and put under the tree.

DH says that when he was little Santa's presents were always wrapped up in brown paper and twine with a Christmas tree stamp on them, which I think is really cute, we might do that when Audrey is a bit older and can appreciate it.

NinjaCakes November 17th, 2013 08:37 PM

Our only tradition with presents is that we open one on christmas eve.

GamerMom November 18th, 2013 03:58 AM

Oh boy, so many traditions here. Santa would always fill a stocking full of sweets and small things so I'm going to have to start buying her a stocking, lol. I usually got one or two gifts from my parents which usually consisted of clothing and other stuff kids were not interested in. Santa would always bring the toys and fun stuff as I always saw it as a kid, lol. I think I'll be sticking to the same thing my parents did. :)

Kiam November 18th, 2013 01:34 PM

I told DH last night that when I was little my Dad used to put a bucket of water on the roof for the reindeer to drink, he goes "I am not getting on the roof for imaginary reindeer".

So I guess that's out, haha.

My Mum used to leave Santa a glass of wine, which cracks me up now, she clearly wasn't into milk and cookies. I could get on board with leaving some wine for Santa.

-erin- November 19th, 2013 08:10 AM

Growing up, my parents had a budget for each child and all presents were from "Santa." I haven't decided how to do things with our kids, Juliet kinda "got" Santa last year, but we were traveling for xmas. This year I know she'll understand it much more.

LilSunshine November 19th, 2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiam (Post 27806261)
I told DH last night that when I was little my Dad used to put a bucket of water on the roof for the reindeer to drink, he goes "I am not getting on the roof for imaginary reindeer".

So I guess that's out, haha.

My Mum used to leave Santa a glass of wine, which cracks me up now, she clearly wasn't into milk and cookies. I could get on board with leaving some wine for Santa.

That is AWESOME...LOL! This santa could certainly enjoy some wine.... ;)

-erin- November 19th, 2013 01:19 PM

^^ one year my dad had us leave wine and cheese for Santa... and we got a thank you note in my dad's (very distinctive) handwriting. I got a bit suspicious ;)

Jessifer November 19th, 2013 02:26 PM

When I was little, every Christmas Eve we'd go to my grandmother's house and an uncle would dress up as Santa and make us open the presents while sitting in his lap. With my immediate family, Marcos is the first grandchild so we don't have any of our own traditions yet but I'm sure we could probably splurge on a santa suit and make my brother or BIL do it.

When I was 4, we moved from an apartment to a house and my mom said I was super excited cause the house had a chimney, so I thought that Santa would be able to go down it and through the wood stove in the basement. My mom had been keeping the gifts hidden in the basement and one day I caught her bringing them upstairs and started asking her questions about it, so she said that she saw Santa in the basement and he gave her the gifts and went back up the wood stove through the chimney. She said I cried all afternoon about why she didn't tell me he was there so that I could see him too. hahaha

LadyGamer November 21st, 2013 08:08 PM

We left wine for Santa too :D