JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   July 2014 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2001-july-2014-playroom/)
-   -   Scared to tell my boss!! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2001-july-2014-playroom/2696654-scared-to-tell-my-boss.html)

Erin.Berg December 6th, 2013 10:09 AM

Scared to tell my boss!!

Since I work from home it is obviously easy for me to hide the pregnancy for awhile. I am flying to meet with her for a week about our 2014 projects in January and will probably tell her then. Not because I will be showing but because I feel it is necessary as it will take a lot of training to have someone fill in for me when I take maternity leave. Our company is growing. FAST. The position I hold was only created a year ago (for me) and I am about to be bumped up in the company with a more formal manager title. I'm scared to tell her because a) I don't want to mess up my chances of receiving this new position & hopefully raise b) with the company growing so fast I am scared to leave it for a significant amount of time and miss out on other opportunities or advancements.

I know that legally I could sue their little butts off if they were to punish me in anyway for being pregnant and my sister works directly with my boss so I feel safe but still a little anxious. I was wondering if anyone else is having troubles with coming up with the right way or time to tell their employer? Any advice?

VallyD December 6th, 2013 10:30 AM

Re: Scared to tell my boss!!

I don't have any experience with this particular issue but wanted to say I hope it all goes well and you are right about being able to sue them if something like that happens. *hug* Good luck!

Earthy.Mama December 6th, 2013 10:33 AM

No experience either, best of luck though (hugs)

lea23 December 6th, 2013 10:49 AM

I am finding it difficult to tell my employer as well but I'm hoping my work ethic speaks for it self

Brandi0099 December 6th, 2013 10:50 AM

I haven't told my boss yet either. I am scared for the same reasons you are. If I were in your shoes I would wait until I started my new position and was on really good terms with the company especially since July is still pretty far out and you have plenty of time to find someone to cover for you. Good luck hun!

pooch December 6th, 2013 11:55 AM

i also work from home (it's a blessing!) and i told my boss when i was in my fourth month last time. it gave us time to formulate a plan as to who would pick up my work when i was out and stuff. it's better to tell early so they have time to figure out how to fill in the gaps if necessary.

ZeeWP December 6th, 2013 02:56 PM

I would say telling your boss soon as possible is always a good thing. You're right she can't fire you, but the later you tell her the harder it will be on you and her. When are you anticipating this promotion? Definitely tell her before you show. Be honest and open, communication wise. See how she reacts and how they deal with it.

Anxiety is completely normal. Maternity policies are not catered to us. It really sucks for working moms. I am thinking because your boss is a woman it will be easier? Well, one can hope.

Lindsay In MD December 6th, 2013 05:28 PM

I agree that you should tell her, in person, when you see her. Explain the same things you said here, that you want to ensure that the company is successful while you are out, so you'd like to start training someone soon. You sound very prepared and organized, so use your strengths and show the boss that you want to make this time on them as painless as possible by having a detailed plan on how you plan to work with your mentee (I do know that's not a word), your new position, and new family.

Do you plan on keeping up with some aspects of the job while on maternity leave to keep yourself prepared for the new role? That may help you feel like you aren't missing out on any opportunities. I'm not saying to work the whole time you are out, but keep in contact so you don't fall out of sight, out of mind. Just a thought. I obviously don't know how hard it is to take care of a baby, so this all may be hogwash.

I'm sure that once you get it written down and off your chest, your anxiety will go away!