JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   July, August & September 2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1756-july-august-and-september-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Went to first appoitment on Nov 29th now im completely freaking out... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1756-july-august-and-september-2012-playroom/2463592-went-to-first-appoitment-nov-29th-now-im-completely-freaking-out.html)

Mommieof1 December 16th, 2011 05:57 PM

Went to first appoitment on Nov 29th now im completely freaking out...

Hello Everyone,
I know it has been awhile since I last posted, just been very stressed lately. Had my first doctor appt on Nov 29th and was sent for an u/s on Dec 6th (which everything was fine with the baby, the u/s tech said I ovulated out of left ovary because it left a cyst lol I thought that was amazing that she could tell me that!). EDD is July 14th..baby is measuring perfect! yay for that!
The reason im freaking out is because like a week ago my doctor's nurse called saying I have to go in for a colposcopy on the 21st at 1 pm because my pap came back showing abnormal cell growth! Thats all that they would tell me I kept asking questions trying to find answers..the first lady on the phone just told me I need to go in for a colposcopy I had asked her straight out "Did my pap come back abnormal or something" She told me flat out no and that I have to talk to a diff lady to set up the appt for the colposcopy ..she transfered me and explained what they do and I asked her "why is this needing to be done?" "oh your pap showed abnormal cell growth" "Well now im completely freaking out" "oh dont freak out could be nothing..dont stress not good for you or baby!" ---thats WAY easier said then done. :( so now all i have is to research abnormal cell growth online and sadly I am freaking out completely!! I've just been crying not knowing what is really going on.
Has anyone else every had this?? Does anyone have some insight? If so I would greatly appreciate it!! Im so scared, stressed and worried right now :(

THE angry uterus December 16th, 2011 06:16 PM

Re: Went to first appoitment on Nov 29th now im completely freaking out...

I've had a lot of them. Actually its really common to have abnormal paps during pregnancy. Something to do with the hormones I guess... Anyway, I've had a laser conization outside of pregnancy (a gift I'm sure from my exhusband) so I've had a ton of colposcopies over the years. When I had the abnormal when pregnant, they just did the colposcopy and nothing else. They took a wait and watch approach and decided not to do anything until after I delivered as most cases clear up after delivery and that the cells get "scrapped" off during delivery. The colposcopy itself isn't painful. They do spray a vinegar (?) wash down on the cervix to make the abnormal cells turn white and easier to see. If you weren't pregnant they might do a punch biopsy which I found rather painful (but I'm a wimp), but it wasn't only painful for a minute. I think they really try to avoid the punch biopsies when pregnant though.

Mommieof1 December 16th, 2011 06:32 PM

Thank you so much for your reply!!! Makes me feel a little better! I have read online that usually they wont do anything while pregnant so...I guess I have to just wait and see which completely sucks! I also read that sometimes it takes 10 days for a result if they do a biopsy >.< seems like such a long wait.

MissMeliss0522 December 16th, 2011 07:46 PM

So on Sept 28th I had my iud removed as we were TTC on the same day I had a pap done. A week later it came back abnormal. My first abnormal
Pap ever, I was freaked. I was called by my midwife who said we want to do a colposcopy, she also wanted me to go in for a blood test to verify I wasn't already pregnant. Even though she thought I wouldn't be. Well that day of the blood test I was notified my betas were 8. Hmm so soon?! She wanted me to go back in a week for another check they were 837. I explained to my midwife my concerns about the colposcopy and told me that since I were pregnant they would not do a biopsy and if I were uncomfortable with the colposcopy during pregnancy that we could follow up after delivery. Fine by me! Typically they will not biopsy if you are pregnant, and all they would do is watch and wait. So I don't see why waiting until delivery is unacceptable, my midwife supports my choice. Just know that if you are fearful about results etc or what if it's the C word. That particular type of C is very slow growing and waiting until you are ready won't have an impact. And more time than not, everything clears up after delivery anyway. Try not to worry although I know firsthand it's easier said than done.

THE angry uterus December 17th, 2011 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMeliss0522 (Post 25345335)
So on Sept 28th I had my iud removed as we were TTC on the same day I had a pap done. A week later it came back abnormal. My first abnormal
Pap ever, I was freaked. I was called by my midwife who said we want to do a colposcopy, she also wanted me to go in for a blood test to verify I wasn't already pregnant. Even though she thought I wouldn't be. Well that day of the blood test I was notified my betas were 8. Hmm so soon?! She wanted me to go back in a week for another check they were 837. I explained to my midwife my concerns about the colposcopy and told me that since I were pregnant they would not do a biopsy and if I were uncomfortable with the colposcopy during pregnancy that we could follow up after delivery. Fine by me! Typically they will not biopsy if you are pregnant, and all they would do is watch and wait. So I don't see why waiting until delivery is unacceptable, my midwife supports my choice. Just know that if you are fearful about results etc or what if it's the C word. That particular type of C is very slow growing and waiting until you are ready won't have an impact. And more time than not, everything clears up after delivery anyway. Try not to worry although I know firsthand it's easier said than done.

Sex up to 48 hours before a pap can give abnormal readings as well. Most women don't know that. They also might just require a pap every three mo to make sure there are no dramatic changes that require intervention. I had paps every three mo for a few years, then once it clears up and you get a normal pap, they move on to ever six mo, then after two of those, every year.

MissMeliss0522 December 17th, 2011 02:28 AM

Hehe I have to say I'm guilty of sex before my pap lol

ohfiddleheads December 17th, 2011 03:20 AM

I've had about 4 colposcopies done in the past. It's just as Jamie says. They spray your cervix with vinegar and then look at it through a colposcope. If you weren't pregnant they would take a biopsy. My office even provides a monitor on the wall so you can see your own cervix. Personally I hate them, but who is a fan of spreading their legs for strangers in the name of good health, right?
My friend also had a history of abnormal cell growth and said it just went away on its own after she delivered her son.

PaxtonsMom December 17th, 2011 04:03 AM

Stalking from the June DDC - you'll definitely feel a pinch when they get the tissue sample (you'll probably have to cough so they can "grab" the tissue), and afterwards you might have some spotting and cramping ...I got kind of pukey right afterwards too and the doc had juice and crackers at the ready because that is apparently normal too so don't be afraid to ask them.

After mine, the results showed it was the type of abnormality that "clears itself up" and they were right! Please don't stress and I'm sure you'll be just fine!!!

Chevy_Gurl December 17th, 2011 05:54 AM

Guilty of sex before paps and abnormal paps. Every time I've had a coloscopy they've come back normal. Try not to stress out (easier said then done I know). Abnormal pap results are 90% ruled out w/ the coloscopy.