JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   July, August & September 2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1756-july-august-and-september-2012-playroom/)
-   -   What can I take? Starting to come down with something. (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1756-july-august-and-september-2012-playroom/2477337-what-can-i-take-starting-to-come-down-something.html)

pauriemmo January 18th, 2012 02:57 PM

What can I take? Starting to come down with something.

Today my throat started to hurt and my nose won't stop running. I had some decaf tea. I'm not sure if there are any OTC medications that I can take. All I want to do is lay in my bed. Any suggestions?

sandyjoys January 18th, 2012 03:35 PM

Re: What can I take? Starting to come down with something.

Call your OB and ask, that is what they are there for.

proudmomtoEthan January 18th, 2012 03:40 PM

Normally only Tylenol is safe during pregnancy. You can try Tylenol cold. Tylenol does nothing for me but and at least it is something.

pauriemmo January 18th, 2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandyjoys (Post 25489101)
Call your OB and ask, that is what they are there for.

I don't have an OB yet. I'm waiting for them to call me. I thought this forum was a place to ask questions.

twoboys January 18th, 2012 04:31 PM

My ob always told me tylenol products were safe! You can always ask a pharmacist too.. I hope you feel better soon :(

sandyjoys January 18th, 2012 04:32 PM

It is, and I don't mean to be rude, but we're not doctors. I was told by my OB four years ago that Robitussin is ok, but your doctor may not agree or things may have changed. I'd feel awful if you took my word and it was wrong.

pauriemmo January 18th, 2012 04:36 PM

Well, I did think it was rude. Maybe it's my hormones, but when I asked for suggestions, I was hoping for something a little more constructive. My mistake.

amazing_love January 18th, 2012 04:57 PM

I'm trying to remember what i was told by my OB but its been a little while. If you search the web i'm sure you can find lots of info. I know the last time i was preggo my doc said cough drops were ok but it was only a certain kind (depending on the ingredients)

Of course calling your doctor is always the best option but i understand sometimes its easier just to post on here to get replies. I always call but still post often times because i want to know what other people's docs have told them.

EJsMommy January 18th, 2012 04:58 PM

My RE nurse said to me when I had scratchy throat that just regular robitussin is ok. Be careful with OTC meds. But I would go and ask the pharmacist if you do not have an OB doc yet. I also would call the OB office as well instead of waiting for a call from them.

RunningMommyTo5 January 18th, 2012 06:50 PM

My MW and Dr always said Tylenol products were safe...so Tylenol Cold or Tylenol Cold and Flu. I also agree with the suggestion to check with the pharmacist. They are usually more than happy to answer any of your questions. Also, if you have a primary dr, they should be able to tell if you'd just like to run it by them...but Tylenol products are always a safe bet while preggo.

And....I hope you start feeling better SOON! It's no fun being sick while pregnant. :(

2Reasons2Smile January 18th, 2012 07:33 PM

Here is a link with a list of medicines ok to take during pregnancy. Hope that helps feel better
Taking Medicine During Pregnancy: Safe and Unsafe Medications

OatmealKisses January 18th, 2012 07:57 PM

I remember being able to take tylenol (non-extra strength) and tums when I sick last year.

I'm not really much for taking meds for colds in general. I don't know why.