JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   July, August & September 2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1756-july-august-and-september-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Fundal Height Measurement (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1756-july-august-and-september-2012-playroom/2513804-fundal-height-measurement.html)

Blessed Mommy Of 5 April 12th, 2012 12:35 PM

Fundal Height Measurement

Does your OB/midwife measure your fundal height?

When did he/she start measuring it?

Was your measurement correct for how many weeks pregnant you are?

If not, did you measure ahead or behind?

one.juniper April 12th, 2012 12:43 PM

Re: Fundal Height Measurement

I think my Dr started measuring it at 17 weeks and it was bang on.

3Sapphires April 12th, 2012 12:53 PM

Does your OB/midwife measure your fundal height? probably for other patients, but I am very very fluffy, so I've never had one done.

When did he/she start measuring it?

Was your measurement correct for how many weeks pregnant you are?

If not, did you measure ahead or behind?

momma_d April 12th, 2012 12:53 PM

I was just wondering when they start measuring for this! I remember being measured with DD's pregnancy, but they haven't started me yet with this one.

nroundtr April 12th, 2012 12:58 PM

My last appointment was at 14 weeks and I'm overweight so they didn't try. My next appt is 4/17 and though I can feel my own uterus, I'll have had an u/s right before the appt, so they probably won't measure.

NYCgirl April 12th, 2012 01:49 PM

Yup! My MW always does this. (with all my pregnancies) She started with my first visit about 12 weeks I think. I always measure smack dap perfect. Whatever about of weeks I am = the amount of cm. I always thought that was so cool!

Moldovandish April 12th, 2012 01:50 PM

They haven't so far and my next appt isn't till 20 weeks, so maybe then?

NYCgirl April 12th, 2012 02:05 PM

You can do it yourself for fun. Find the top of your pubic bone then go along and feel for the top of your fundus. (Lie on your back knees together and bent and push down just bellow your belly button.)

momma_d April 12th, 2012 02:32 PM

Although today when I was walking out of the room the nurse (who is old and funny, her name is Doris, she's my Dr.s mom) said all excitedly "did ya get checked?!" I was caught so off guard I was like "HUH?" and then I realized she was talking about checking my cervix and I was like LOL HECK NO! I'm only 16 weeks!

hikermama April 12th, 2012 03:37 PM

My doctor hasn't measure me yet. She just feels for the uterus and says "That's about right" Although I did notice that the tape measure was in there. Maybe at my 20 week visit.

RunningMommyTo5 April 12th, 2012 05:13 PM

In previous pregnancies, I've always been spot on! My MW usually starts at 16wks. But, she didn't start this time. She felt mine, and my fundal height is already way off. It's much higher than it should be, and she didn't want to have to note it just yet. I'd had an U/S at 9wks and 12wks, only one baby, and again an elective at 16wks, again one baby, so she said there was no need to send me 3 days later for another one. If there is a "surprise twin" then she's sure it'll show up at my anatomy scan in a couple weeks, LOL. Although, she thinks it's just scar tissue from my previous sections holding my uterus up higher.

She didn't want to measure to cause me any alarm as to how high it is already. Let me just say, though, at 18.5wks, it's already above my belly button...it's supposed to be about even with your belly button at 20wks :o She thinks it'll even out.

Oddly enough, I still don't look pregnant to people who don't know even with it being so high. I haven't had any strangers ask, and I am still having to tell people we're expecting again when they look at my three boys and ask if we're going to have another or if we're done, LOL....um....yeah, we're having another and I'm already near halfway, too. The look on their face is priceless and it's a great laugh!

lovemyleah April 12th, 2012 05:20 PM

Does your OB/midwife measure your fundal height? My previous one did with my last pregnancy. At my 17 week appointment, my doctor did not, but I assume he will next time. He found the HB right away though, so maybe he assumed all was well because of where he found it?

When did he/she start measuring it? I don't remember with my last pregnancy.

Was your measurement correct for how many weeks pregnant you are? I usually measured a week or two behind.

If not, did you measure ahead or behind? LOL a week or two behind.

2Reasons2Smile April 12th, 2012 07:01 PM

my midewife has not measured yet only felt for the height of it.

karenwalter April 12th, 2012 08:40 PM

I haven't been measured yet. I can't remember when they started with DS.

GeekLover11 April 13th, 2012 05:56 AM

My doctor told me at my last appointment that they will start to measure after 20 weeks. The past appointments, she has only lightly pressed on my tummy to see where it was. I was always told it was right where it should be :)

Jessy_Ree April 13th, 2012 10:31 AM

Most doctors start measuring fundal height at 20 weeks..Too much before then its not as accurate..Although with my last baby I was measuring about 6 weeks ahead in the second trimester and then 3 weeks ahead at her birth..its not an exact science..LOL

Risa April 13th, 2012 10:50 AM

I asked the nurse to show me where my uterus was at my 16 week appointment because I couldn't find it. She couldn't either--guess I'm too well padded for that yet!

curlygirl77 April 13th, 2012 11:19 AM

i haven't had this done yet but i think they usually start measuring around 20 weeks. I always measure several weeks behind. Apparently my uterus tilts back really far so that's why, because my babies have all been average sized at birth, despite measuring small.