JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   July, August & September 2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1756-july-august-and-september-2012-playroom/)
-   -   c-section vs induction - looking for BTDT moms (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1756-july-august-and-september-2012-playroom/2545491-c-section-vs-induction-looking-for-btdt-moms.html)

jdd July 3rd, 2012 05:15 AM

c-section vs induction - looking for BTDT moms

This baby is big and the doctor has offered me induction or c-sec at 39 weeks. I have had 2 induced vag deliveries with epidurals and they are awesome compared to my one spontaneous labor/delivery that lasted over 30 hours. With other kids at home, being in the hospital for only 2 days would be nice. Recovery from vag deliveries is usually 1-2 weeks due to episiotomy/tear but then I'm up and feeling pretty good.

My question now is about c-sections. Because this baby is in the 95% as far as weight, they offered me an induction or a c-section. The doctor said he thinks I could push out this 8.5-9 lbs baby since I've delivered before but gave me the option because he can't guarantee I wouldn't need the c-section because of the size of the baby. My other babies were only about 7 lbs. I'm considering a c-section so I don't tear worse or have the start of labor, get stuck and need a c-sec after being through labor. I would have to stay in hospital 4 or 5 days? I'd be able to sit down without problems :) but I know walking would be more painful because of the surgery. I don't know how long recovery would be since I would then have 4 kids to take care of.

So I'm curious to ask BTDT moms who have had csec and inductions for big babies to tell me their experience with recovery and what they would prefer if they could pick again. Thanks!

ElizMommy July 3rd, 2012 07:16 AM

Re: c-section vs induction - looking for BTDT moms

I had a vaginal delivery with dd1 and tore and had an episiotomy. My recovery was 4-5 weeks and very painful. With dd2 I had an emergency c-section and the recovery was much easier. I had less pain. The whole process was easier for me!

*Melissa* July 3rd, 2012 07:44 AM

I just had a vaginal delivery for twin A and a c section for twin B. I cannot express enough how much I hated the c section. Yes, i tore 3 rd degree with des # 1 and 2 nd degree this time, but the recovery to me is way worse than the section. I love vag deliveries

hope71012 July 3rd, 2012 07:57 AM

I would opt to at least TRY vaginal. The doctor can be off by weight. Iv'e heard a lot of doctors say "oh this is a 9-ish pound baby" only to have an average 7-ish pound baby.

c-section is major surgery, so for me, if I can avoid it so be it. I'd rather personally heal from a tear or whatnot "down there." I can't compare a tear/episotomy to a c-section, but it didn't interfere with my ability to care for DD. I was up and moving around quickly. Stitches dissolved within a week and had more issues due to them dissolving (itchy feeling) then the first few days PP. I would think that a c-section incision would take longer to heal and because of the ab muscles it would be more difficult to "bounce back." With 4 others at home, I would certainly opt to try to deliver vaginally even if it meant the possibility of a c-section due to the baby's size.

kemper2.0 July 3rd, 2012 12:25 PM

I have never had a c/s, so I don't really qualify to be giving advice, but I have had an induction and I want to weigh in anyways :giggle:

With my DS I was told he would be a 9+ pound baby and I was offered a c/s. He was 7.14 and I was induced. The doctors not only can be off on baby's weight, they often are.

I would personally try for a vaginal delivery before a c/s. My main reason would be for the recovery time. If you didn't have any other kids and could really concentrate on recovering maybe I would give it more thought, but I really think you would recovery from a vaginal delivery a lot faster than a c/s.

Good luck with whatever you chose!

Larissa. July 3rd, 2012 05:58 PM

I would, after having one, avoid a c-section for any reason other than health risks to baby or me.

My son was "huge." They pushed an induction saying he'd be at least 10 lbs. He was 7 lbs 13oz. I flat out refused them this time when they wanted to do an ultrasound to check his weight.

I personally would choose to be induced over a section anyday.

Mrs.Julie July 3rd, 2012 06:09 PM

I was induced and pushed about 5 minutes or less with my 2nd dd, small episiotomy, and a breezy recovery. She was almost 10 lbs! I am a tall, yet petite person. Vaginal is better for baby, in general. They have far less breathing problems. It is theorized liquid is "squeezed" out.

Kumii July 4th, 2012 12:24 PM

My personal opinion here, but I would go with natural delivery first and only turn to surgery if it is an emmergency. Since this is not your first labor, you are most likely to have a quick one once things get going.
Ditto on doctors being off on weight. I have heard a lot of stories of people expecting big babies and ending up with a 7lb babies.
Natural stays natural ( the way women are supposed to birth unles complications arrise ), surgery is always a sugery and it comes with surgery related risks.

Good luck no matter what you decide!

JesusisKing July 4th, 2012 01:36 PM

Just my 10 cents. ;) I weighed 11 lbs. when I was born, and my Mom said I was born so fast, the doc barely had time to get his gloves on to deliver me. :) haha