JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   July, August & September 2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1756-july-august-and-september-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Your stash of liquid gold (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1756-july-august-and-september-2012-playroom/2570780-your-stash-liquid-gold.html)

aubers68 September 7th, 2012 07:19 PM

Your stash of liquid gold

Anyone interested in sharing a picture of your stash?? I know this might sound silly, but I'm curious how others store it. I hardly have anything and I feel like it's already taking up a good amount of room in my freezer. Obviously not a huge space but enough to be seen when the freezer is opened lol

LadyCoconut September 7th, 2012 08:01 PM

Well everything I pumped was into bottles in the hospital so it's not great for storage.

I think your best bet is to pump into a bag, lay flat to freeze and then when it's frozen line them up in a box or Tupperware in the freezer so it's like a card file.

Sherry777 September 7th, 2012 10:13 PM

Re: Your stash of liquid gold

Sure. I'll take a pic later.

newmommysarah September 8th, 2012 08:01 AM

im not pumping yet, my health nurse said to wait until Noah is 6 weeks before i start. God i cant wait to start pumping and give Alan a chance to do some night feeds!

Mom2JDub September 8th, 2012 09:54 AM

Sarah, the LC told me that I could start pumping at 3 weeks, that babies don't have much nipple confusion after that point. So maybe you could start a little sooner. It's working really well for us, and it's awesome to see DH feed our little one. Also, he got up at 3:45 this morning and let me sleep for an extra 2 1/2 hours. :heart:

As for my freezer stash, I only have 4 ounces so far. :p I actually switched to exclusively pumping for a while to give my nipples a chance to heal. They were both getting really cracked and bruised. I'm not sure why, since the LC told me that Jackson's latch is good. I tried using nipple shields, but Jackson couldn't get as much milk then. He was getting frustrated, and my breasts were becoming engorged. So I switched to pumping until my nipples heal, and it's definitely been a relief. All that said, I'm able to pump a lot more at each session, so I'll be building my stash over the next 2 months for when I return to work.

We bought a small deep freezer for our garage, knowing that I will need to store quite a bit of breast milk. I'm storing it in a way that is definitely not a space saver, but it will save us an extra step in thawing and will be more convenient for our daycare provider. We're using the Playtex drop-ins bottle system. I found the tip online from another woman who stores directly into the drop-ins. I bought two drop-in storage kits. You can pump directly into the drop-ins (using the pump adjuster that comes with the kit), and then I add the rings and move to the freezer. Once fully frozen, I remove the rings and transfer to a Ziploc freezer bag. I figured that when I return to work and Jack is in daycare, I can just bring the Ziploc bags. She can then just remove them one at a time and drop directly into the bottles.

Again, not a space saver, but it is a time saver considering the bottles we're using.

Carwen*Angel September 8th, 2012 10:51 AM

I only get enough for same-day feeding, and store it in the frig, or if she happens to be waking for a feed just after I've expressed, she has it fresh. I'm grateful to get that since I couldn't BF at all with my son, couldn't even express, it always had blood in it, then it dried up.

alicenwonderland September 8th, 2012 11:48 AM

still in the boobs. Not pumping yet. I need to try this weekend though. I have a job interview next week and will be gone a few hours.

K.A.T September 8th, 2012 06:29 PM

I don't have many bags in the freezer since I'm not pumping daily, but it does take up a bit of space in it.

lmunoz8517 September 8th, 2012 06:56 PM

I have 130 oz in the freezer...... 40 is in 4 oz bags, all 10 of those are in one gallon ziplock bag. Then I have 6 - 60 oz bags in another gallon ziplock, and 30 more in 10 oz bags just set in there, once I get 3 more those will be put in a ziplock as well, I write the date range on the gallon bag so I dont have to open it to look.

therevslady September 9th, 2012 06:02 AM

I do what Shannon suggested. My husband actually rearranged the freezer the other day and I had to get onto him for putting all of my milk in the door. Ugh. Rowan still isn't a huge fan of the bottle so I am freezing 2 oz at a time by lying flat. Right now they are haphazardly tossed in the back of the freezer. I think I have about 30 oz pumped. I try to keep the stash around 1-2 days worth of milk. I don't tend to stock up more than that unless I am pumping for another baby in need to donate.

Sherry777 September 9th, 2012 09:42 PM

http://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...834a2b4b10.jpg

I have several more bags I put in the freezer today. I have approximately 150 ounces or more.

aarafko September 10th, 2012 01:16 AM

I'm jealous! I so wish that I could pump like that. My supply is ridiculously low and so far even with my pumping just about every two hours it really hasn't gone up. I prettybmuch gave up about 3every days ago, but am now kinda regretting that decision. Not sure if I could bounce back or not now.

aubers68 September 10th, 2012 03:21 AM

April you can bounce back!! I read about a lady who was on the verge of drying up and changed her mind and came back. It might be a little work but I have faith. Also, I've been taking fenugreek and it seems to be helping although I still pump only 2oz at a time my boobs seem to get full quicker. Maybe it would work for you as well?

Sherry that's amazing! I'm jealous. Do you pump a few times a day and combine in one bag or do you pump a lot at once? My bags are only 2oz each. That's all I seem to get in one pumping session.

mzshell13 September 11th, 2012 08:03 AM

Here's mine. Little one is waking up so no time to resize.
http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...b3990cbebe.jpg
I put about 2-3 oz in a bag and freeze them flat. If I need milk (like this weekend when I'm in a wedding) I'll pull from the bottom, since it's the oldest.

I have about 30 oz. from pumping once a day and am so excited. With my son I had maybe 6-8 oz in the freezer at a time and that only happened when I woke up in the middle of the night to pump. I only pumped enough to give him what he needed for the next day. Just wanted to add that so everyone knows you do not have to have a huge stash when breastfeeding. I went 8 months with next to nothing in the freezer.

Sour Amaretto September 11th, 2012 10:34 AM

^^^^^ I Store mine the same way. 3ozs at a time and freeze it flat so I have more space. I was getting 20ounces a day but havent pumped in a few weeks due to moving so i have to get back in gear with it.

Sherry777 September 11th, 2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aubers68 (Post 26510182)
Sherry that's amazing! I'm jealous. Do you pump a few times a day and combine in one bag or do you pump a lot at once? My bags are only 2oz each. That's all I seem to get in one pumping session.

In the beginning Pippa preferred my left breast. I would nurse on the left and pump the right. Then I would pump the left right after the feeding. After 2 weeks, I was able to get her to accept the right breast as well. Now I pump between feedings. Even when she nurses every hour, my body produces more milk. If she nurses long enough, I stimulate a second let down. I pumped every hour regardless, even at night, for the first month. I never slept, but it was worth it. I was determined to breastfeed without supplementing no matter how hard it was for me. When I pump every hour, I get anywhere from one to two ounces. If I sleep though the alarm and Pippa does not get up to nurse, I get more ounces. I use mini bottles and combine in a bag when I have the desired amount.

.kelley. September 12th, 2012 02:53 PM

I probably have about 150 oz in the freezer. That is after I donated almost 200oz to a baby who was born in August and lost his mom in a house fire. Here is the stash I donated. https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...75593334_n.jpg

aubers68 September 12th, 2012 03:03 PM

That's so awesome of you to donate!

Blessed.Life September 12th, 2012 03:45 PM

I have 8 oz in 2 4 oz bags -- not exciting enough for a photo :)