JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   July, August & September 2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1756-july-august-and-september-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Nothing but the breast? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1756-july-august-and-september-2012-playroom/2621777-nothing-but-breast.html)

hoping43 February 4th, 2013 08:32 AM

Nothing but the breast?

My baby is 4 1/2 months old and refuses to take a bottle. I am EBF and am starting to find it very challenging because I can't leave the baby for more than 2 hours at a time. I've tried a bunch of different kinds but she just gets mad and screams. I tried to start pablum (rice cereal) last week as the recommendation of my doctor, but she will not take that either. I am hoping to start weaning her when she is 6-7 months and am afraid she is going to refuse anything but the breast. Help, i'm starting to dislike breastfeeding because I can't have a break

Blessed Mommy Of 5 February 4th, 2013 09:13 AM

Re: Nothing but the breast?

I'm sorry! I was in the same situation. Kyah refuses all bottles. I ended up giving in. I was just trying to give her bottles of pumped milk to get a break occasionally and also so that DH and the kids could join in feeding her. I never did find a solution. Hopefully some of the other ladies can give you some good advice!! As far as solids go, she may just not be ready yet for them. Kyah opens her mouth wide for every bite (she is getting between 1-2 oz per day). But luckily, you still have time to give her in taking solids! I bet she will take them as soon as she is ready!

Repti.Mom February 4th, 2013 09:29 AM

I haven't even offered a bottle. It doesn't bother me having Weston with, because he's only 4 months old. It's a lot easier to drag along a small baby that eats and poops and sleeps than it is a crazy toddler :) This stage wont last forever either, remember that! AND baby will start going longer between feeds as they grow too.

smashley8 February 4th, 2013 09:35 AM

This link sounds helpful - LLLI | When Baby Refuses Bottle

As does this one (lots of comments, too) - How can I teach my breastfed baby to take a bottle? | BabyCenter

I know how you must feel because even bottle feeding my baby I feel like I don't have a break sometimes! Stick with it and I bet you will find the solution eventually!

MrsTiffy February 4th, 2013 09:44 AM

I am dealing with the same thing. When my dd was about 8 weeks old she took a bottle just fine. Then we went a few weeks without offering her one, and now she refuses a bottle. I haven't tried solids yet, and I probably wont for a few months. I don't have any advice except remember that this wont last forever. I just take Maura with me when I can, and if I can't take her with me then I just try to time my outings around her feedings. She is going about three hours between eating during the day, so I can get quite a bit done in that time.

Mommy to 3 boys February 4th, 2013 11:08 AM

I'm sorry. I know how you feel. I haven't tried giving Kara a bottle yet but she too eats every 2 hours. I had some issues with my boys (at the moment I can't remember which one, I believe my oldest). It's hard but you need to have someone else offer the bottle while you are not around. Whoever is feeding can hold her close as if breastfeeding, stand and bounce while offering the bottle. Does she take a pacifier? If so, try to find a nipple similar to the pacifier, this will help too. It may be hard because you don't want your baby to cry but if you are wanting to quit because of the stress of not getting a break and you were wanting to wean in the next few months anyways, it's something that needs to happen. You can also try during a late night feeding doing it yourself while she is still asleep but hungry. She will smell you and the breast milk and might be more willing to take the bottle. Hope you can find something that helps! I fully plan to leave when DH offers Kara the bottle for the first time. I had a friend that her twins wouldn't take a bottle until she left for a week for a funeral (and didn't take the babies)... they had no other option and so they finally took the bottle.

~*Kel*~ February 4th, 2013 11:57 AM

I second having someone else give her the bottle. Brennan fights a bottle if i am even in the house. When he is at the sitters though he takes it no problem.

3Sapphires February 4th, 2013 01:31 PM

I tried to get my oldest to take a bottle, it was a major fail, I just stopped trying, I don't think I even have any bottles anymore.

I'm sorry it is bugging you :(

curlygirl77 February 4th, 2013 02:48 PM

I was going to suggest having someone else try feeding her the bottle, but that's already been said :p. Micah won't take a bottle either, the only break i get right now is going to the bathroom lol. It does get better when they start solids so hang in there :)

jojo2bee February 4th, 2013 03:07 PM

I agree with having someone else offer the bottle. I know it can be so hard and Matthew do that a lot to me to. When I'm with him I just EBF and it really can be so stressful sometimes! I feel like I cant do ANYTHING! But keep your head up and try having someone else offer the bottle, I hope you find something that works soon for you guys to!

Panda February 4th, 2013 04:39 PM

I work and even still Aden will sometimes refuse the bottle he will only take it if he knows that I am nowhere to be found lol as far as going out I go out all the time with Aden and love to go to eat when he is napping hope you find something that works for you

alicenwonderland February 4th, 2013 05:47 PM

This might sound awful... but i would just leave anyway. Cora takes her bottle fine, but her brother didn't. I had to work, so didn't really have a choice. I left him with a bottle... he had maybe a couple ounces after 4-6 hours when he was starving, and made up for it when I got home. It wasn't preferred, but it didn't hurt him.

Panda February 4th, 2013 10:23 PM

I work and even still Aden will sometimes refuse the bottle he will only take it if he knows that I am nowhere to be found lol as far as going out I go out all the time with Aden and love to go to eat when he is napping hope you find something that works for you

aquariussweety21 February 5th, 2013 05:58 AM

I had this problem with my little guy too. I exclusively breastfed until 2.5 months and then started pumping and feeding an then mixed breastmilk with formula and now hes just on formula. He hated the bottle at first. Someone told me to try different types and someone else feeding him. Out of 5 bottle types he likes Mam bottles the best. Hell sometimes take the simila or tommee tippee type bottle but really prefers these and does way better with them. The first few times his dad or nana fed him. He fussed alt at first but caught on within a few feeds. Id have them et an ounce or two in and then would breastfees him the rest so he wouldnt be so angry and would be full. I started trying myself after a few days and he did fight it a but but i think it helped a ton that it was breastmilk in the bottle. I had to be sure t was close to body temp at first too. After a couple weeks he was a pro and now as long as he has this type of bottle/nipple were good. I hope things work out for you. I know it can be diffiult

RunningMommyTo5 February 5th, 2013 06:45 AM

All my suggestions have been mentioned! Bailey didn't want to take one from me, either, so I did what some others mentioned. I left her with someone with the bottle. She fussed at first, but usually once they are truly hungry, they will take the bottle eventually and catch on really well in a couple of feedings. I'm sorry you're struggling with this! (((hugs)))

Tiffany8620 February 5th, 2013 08:15 PM

Eve won't take a bottle either. She completely refuses, won't even try. My pedi said it was OK to try a sippy cup at this age. He said to use one that doesn't require baby to suck on it, but one where you can tip it up and milk will go into their mouth. He said that should at least allow someone to get a few ounces into her for the time I need to be away. He also said that if Eve knows I'm anywhere near, even in the house, she most likely isn't going to accept anything but the breast.