JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   July, August & September 2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1756-july-august-and-september-2012-playroom/)
-   -   The end of the road.. (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1756-july-august-and-september-2012-playroom/2624616-end-road.html)

GeekLover11 February 12th, 2013 05:19 AM

The end of the road..

So I am pretty sure that I am going to stop breastfeeding soon. My hectic schedule at work and pumping is really starting to take a toll. On top of it, I am not producing nearly enough, even with all of the supplements/tea/water I am taking in. I am getting frustrated and Declan is frustrated too when he isn't being satisfied, especially now that we are feeding him solids.

I feel pretty sad about it honestly :( I thought I would be able to keep it up until he was 6 months. I am a little disappointed in myself. But, he is 5 months tomorrow, so I guess it isn't too bad. I still have about 50 ounces frozen too.

My plan is to cut out pumping for now. I was pumping once at work and then once after Declan went to bed. So last night, I skipped the evening pumping session and just fed him first thing this morning. Then when I get home from work again today, I will bf again, just so I am not getting very full. Hopefully, I will be able to cut it down to one feed in the morning and then stop all together. Declan is very good at taking a bottle and almost prefers it now, so I am lucky in that sense.

So, is there a right way to officially stop? Or is there a better way? I just want to ensure that I am not in any pain. Thanks for any input.

RunningMommyTo5 February 12th, 2013 05:35 AM

Re: The end of the road..

It sounds like you're going about it the right way. If your supply is already dropping, then gradually stepping down like you are planning should be fine. I would, after you cut it down to once a day, do that for a couple weeks, then give him a few ounces in the bottle first, then let him nurse so he won't take as much from you, which will allow your supply to drop further, then you should be able to stop without any pain.

I don't wan to sound pushy, because you absolutely need to do what's best for you, but have you considered just nursing him once a day (just because you are feeling sad about it). If you think you'll miss it, then perhaps the once a days would allow you that time with him? Or, is he simply not satisfied at any feeding anymore? (((hugs))) I know that's not easy. You've done a great job making it this far!!!! Great work, mama! Never feel any guilt about doing what you need to for you, him, and your family.

GeekLover11 February 12th, 2013 06:04 AM

Katie- Right now I am still going to be BF every morning when we wakes up and then again after I get home from work and see how long I can make that go for. The morning feeds are much easier since he is sleeping for 10 hours. It worked out even better since I skipped last nights pump, I will definitely full, but not painfully so. He was definitely satisfied.

Usually, when I pump in the afternoon around 130, I would bf him again when I got home from work at 430. Yesterday when I did this, he literally screamed and was thrashing back and forth after about 2-3 minutes on each side. So, I am hoping that by skipping that afternoon pump, I won't have such a frustrating time and it will be worth it.

curlygirl77 February 12th, 2013 06:51 AM

Aw it's sad when it comes to an end, but you have done amazing to get this far!

As far as stopping, you are right to cut down gradually. Just keep an eye out for fever or painful lumps, i am always prone to mastitis when i wean and it's no fun!

jojo2bee February 13th, 2013 12:32 PM

Your plan sounds great to me. Im so sorry you having to do that to! Hugs! But dont feel bad at all! You've done an amazing job already!

2Reasons2Smile February 13th, 2013 01:16 PM

I have nothing more to add as your plan and the above advice is what I would do in your shoes. You have done awesome for your son. Bittersweet but your going the right way about it.

Blessed Mommy Of 5 February 13th, 2013 11:57 PM

I agree with the other ladies. You have an excellent plan. I think it will work out perfectly :)