JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   July, August & September 2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1756-july-august-and-september-2012-playroom/)
-   -   swimming! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1756-july-august-and-september-2012-playroom/2631635-swimming.html)

curlygirl77 March 4th, 2013 02:22 PM

swimming!

Do you plan on taking baby swimming?

I haven't been swimming in about a year :( we used to go twice a week when we lived in hawaii, but it's so cold here I never feel like it. My kids keep nagging me so i was thinking of going this weekend. I'm just worried about Micah getting.cold, even though it's a heated pool it's still chilly when you get out. And i still have baby fat so i'm not in love with the thought of putting on a bathing suit, lol.

smashley8 March 4th, 2013 02:33 PM

Re: swimming!

We're going to Florida in April so he'll swim for the first time there! I'm excited! I wouldn't worry too much about her being cold, it's sort of like bath time :) Just wrap her up and squeeze her real quick after you get out! Although I feel you on the not wanting to wear a bathing suit thing haha...

curlygirl77 March 4th, 2013 02:53 PM

Ahhh florida, so jealous!! Will you be taking Remy in the ocean or pool? My kids learned to swim in the ocean, i feel a bit bad that Micah will never experience that.

smashley8 March 4th, 2013 04:53 PM

Both! We're going to Miami Beach first, and then to Disney for 4 days! I'll probably only dip his feet and butt at the beach, but when we get to a pool we'll take him in all the way with us. :) So cool that your kids all learned in the ocean!!!

Blessed Mommy Of 5 March 4th, 2013 10:16 PM

I will more than likely take Kyah along with my older kids to the pool this summer. We plan to buy a big pool for the yard though (one of the large above ground pools). If we do that, I will most likely take her swimming out back, lol!

Have you all heard of swimming babies? I mean as far as supposedly newborn babies instinctively know how to swim? I never tried that with any of my newborns, I was wondering if anyone knows if that is true? Seems quite amazing if that really is the case!

jojo2bee March 4th, 2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blessed Mommy Of 5 (Post 27162298)
Have you all heard of swimming babies? I mean as far as supposedly newborn babies instinctively know how to swim? I never tried that with any of my newborns, I was wondering if anyone knows if that is true? Seems quite amazing if that really is the case!

I herd this to! DH's cousin is in college and studying a lot of stuff like that and she had told me that all babies of all species are born knowing how to swin. Haent actually tested the therory yet though lol

I want to go swimming this year for sure! I wanted to swim more last summer while I was preggo but only did maybe twice I think. I to am not a fan of getting into a swim suite now either lol but I plan on getting a new one piece one or a tankini type one.

GeekLover11 March 5th, 2013 06:37 PM

Yes!! My BIL has an in-ground pool that is just lovely. Once the water and weather is warm enough he will be in there :) I can not wait!!

RunningMommyTo5 March 6th, 2013 05:49 AM

Oh, yes!!!! We live at the pool in the summer and Bailey will definitely be getting in with me. It's too hot and humid here in the summer to be outside and not in some type of water, LOL.

I've never tested the newborn swimming, but I've seen so many videos that I believe it! As I said in the summer time thread, we do teach our kids to swim somewhere between one and two years, depending on where their bdays fall in the summer. Many people think that they are too young to really swim at that point, but they really can learn!!! I've had people shocked with each of the boys, scared as they'd watch them jump off the side, and then shocked when they'd swim to me or to the steps and get out themselves at 1-2 years old! For me, it's truly about safety. We teach them that the first thing they do when they get to a pool is to look for the stairs and ladders and know where they are. If they fall in, they are taught to swim to the side of the pool and pull themselves up. if they can pull themselves out on the side, they will...or they'll find the ladders or steps. If their too far to swim to, they know to hold on to the side, keep their head out and yell for help if they've fallen in. It's a good skill for them to learn early on. Also, they learn if all else fails, don't panic, and to roll on their backs and float to keep their head up. Mainly, not panicking is the main thing in the water!

By the time they're three, they actually start learning strokes vs. just moving through the water to get to the side or the steps/ladder.

SabrinaH March 15th, 2013 09:04 PM

We actually enrolled Scarlett in swim lessons at our local Y. Our second class is tomorrow. I was looking for a fun activity for her and I to do since I work full time. We are enjoying it.

2Reasons2Smile March 17th, 2013 08:05 AM

We have an in ground pool in our backyard so once its warm enough and the pool is opened she will be swimming with us a ton. She will be a fish by the time she is 1yr lol