JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   July, August & September 2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1756-july-august-and-september-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Trying not to lose it! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1756-july-august-and-september-2012-playroom/2633540-trying-not-to-lose.html)

smashley8 March 10th, 2013 05:16 PM

Trying not to lose it!

I feel like Remy is going through a stage right now where he is just not a happy baby. I guess it could be a combination of things - growth spurt, teething, whatever the heck it is - but I'm so frustrated! I feel like we have window of about 45 minutes after he wakes up in the morning and after any "good" nap before he becomes a whiny, fussy mess. Nothing makes him happy, not even being held. He's 5 months old, he should be able to stay awake for longer periods of time now, but he barely lasts an hour before I feel like he wants to sleep again. It's a bad cycle though, because with the exception of one nap during the day (where I have to intervene at 45 minutes and get him to go back to sleep) he is only taking cat naps and that is just making him more and more tired as the day goes on. Then, like tonight for instance, if I don't get him to bed on time he takes FOREVER to go to sleep and he ends up fighting me for an hour. Tonight I was on the brink of letting him cry it out because he was being so stubborn about sleep but then he started screaming and I just couldn't leave him like that.

I'm trying everything I can to make him a happier baby. I tweak nap times to see if he'll sleep longer, I bought a white noise machine, I entertain him as much as I possibly can when he's awake and nothing seems to help. I feel like I'm trying to put him to sleep more than he's actually sleeping, and then when he's sleeping I'm so focused on when he'll wake up that I still don't get any down time.

Then there's his eating. With the exception of night time feedings or before a nap, he seriously has zero interest in his bottle. Even when he wakes up in the morning and it's been 4 hours since his last bottle, he will drink like 1 or 2 oz and be done with it. He'll take little bits here and there but then when it comes time for a nap, he'll slug it down while he's trying to fall asleep. I would try and cut that out if I could, but it's another bad cycle where I feel like I need to feed him when he'll take it because otherwise he's not getting the fluids that he needs. I was going to wait to start solids until 6 months, but I've thought it over and am going to start organic brown rice cereal tomorrow evening. If only to get some extra calories in him and possibly keep him from having to wake up more than once in the night to get his nourishment after not eating a lot during the day.

Ugh. Overall I'm just frustrated. My husband works evenings so I'm here by myself a lot, and I am trying so hard not to lose my patience because Remy doesn't deserve that. I feel like such a loser right now because I snapped at him when he wouldn't go to sleep tonight. He's a baby, really what do I expect from him? Thanks guys, I really needed to vent.

Sagga02 March 10th, 2013 10:10 PM

Re: Trying not to lose it!

Oh so much of this sounds like my lil guy! Its rough. Hang in there hun!

aquariussweety21 March 10th, 2013 10:16 PM

I wish i could help but mason has had a super off schedule lately too. Hpping he gets back to his usual self. Sorry for the stress in the mean time

curlygirl77 March 11th, 2013 12:36 AM

You described the last month for us exactly! Add to that that i can't put her down or leave the room for a second or she screams herself blue. It's so frustrating because she has always been such an easy baby. Hopefully it's a phase. They are noticing things more, testing their limits and don't want to miss ajything.

2Reasons2Smile March 11th, 2013 08:35 AM

Hugs Evelyn from 4.5months to now has been horrible for sleeping in general and has only just recently started getting better with going to sleep. I believe at 4 months there is usually a sleep regression. It does get frustrating but just remember this too shall pass. My husband works rotating shifts so I know how you feel with being on your own for bedtime. My house from 5pm-8pm is very stressful with supper baths and bedtime. I am just thankful my older two are good sleepers once they are asleep even though they can drive me up the wall in those 3 hours.

RunningMommyTo5 March 11th, 2013 11:18 AM

(((hugs))), Ashley! I really hope you can find something that works for Remy and you. The evenings are frustrating here, too, as I'm also by myself. I wish I had some great advice to give. Hopefully it's just a phase and he'll come out of it soon. I think some baby's do have personalities that need to use different methods. I never thought I'd have to use CIO, but two of my boys personalities (stubborn, LOL) needed the CIO method to get on schedule. They were much happier babies after we let them CIO for a few days. It can be hard on you, but once they are on schedule and happy, it's so worth it. But, it's not for every mom or every baby's personality! I just wanted to throw it out there since you said you've considered it.

writerchick324 March 11th, 2013 11:42 AM

Elliott has been fussy lately too. I came home yesterday from work and Tim looked like he hadn't slept in days, the house was a mess and the first thing he said was, "Elliott has been fussing...all...day..." lol

I get frustrated and "chastise" elliott sometimes when he is throwing a fit. I use a stern voice and it gets his attention. It's like he fusses if he can't see me, but I have so many things to do from room to room and I am not going to do things one handed or carry his 19lbs around in a wrap and try to scrub the tub with him in it or do dishes.

I feel like i am going to lose it too. Plus, we have been sick twice within a month so we have been bound to the house and I can't drop him off with family because I don't want to spread it. (His aunt has a 9 month old daughter and his other aunt is 31 weeks prego.)

I feel your pain. He also is taking forever to eat his bottles due to being distracted and just stopping at intervals. GRRR

smashley8 March 11th, 2013 11:58 AM

Thank you everyone!! It's so easy to think you're the only one with a baby who's being this way because all you see are the happy smiley pictures and cute stories on Facebook, lol. I will miss this age, fussy or not so I need to deal with it!

jojo2bee March 11th, 2013 01:57 PM

first off *hugs* I know its so hard when they fuss like that. Ive snapped at Matthew before to but it just happens sometimes you know. We can only take so much as humans lol But that really sounds like hes teething to me honestly. That is what Ive read in a few things like to the tee lol. But your a great mommy and I know we just hae to suck it up sometimes! I hope he will calm down soon for you guys!

writerchick324 March 11th, 2013 02:37 PM

He could be teething-I just found a tooth had broken through this morning and Tim said he was crazy fussy yesterday! :)

jhajhaluv March 11th, 2013 04:12 PM

Omg sounds like my son I thought It was just him I hope this gets better soon and our babies could get back to being happy little babies

Blessed Mommy Of 5 March 12th, 2013 12:20 PM

I have definitely been in your shoes, Ashley! I posted a very similar thread a few weeks back. It is rough, but it will get better!

**hugs**