JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   July, August & September 2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1756-july-august-and-september-2012-playroom/)
-   -   "Ferber" method questions (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1756-july-august-and-september-2012-playroom/2637181-ferber-method-questions.html)

NorasMom2112 March 23rd, 2013 09:16 AM

"Ferber" method questions

Hello!

I'm new here and this looks like a great place to get a little help.

We have an eight month old baby girl and she won't sleep through the night. We've read a lot of books and researched and we've come to the conclusion that the problem is her sleep associations. We have always held her as she falls asleep and then put her in her crib which means when she naturally wakes up during the night, she can't fall back asleep on her own because something "feels wrong."

It's gotten worse and worse and is now at the point where she'll cry uncontrollably until she's either picked up or taken into bed with us.

We realize the key is going to be getting her to be comfortable with going to sleep on her own. This is the goal of the Ferber method, but there are nuances not covered in the book that I'm hoping people here have experienced.

According to the book, we're supposed to pick a length of time, say one minute to start. We put her in the crib awake and leave for a minute. If she's crying (she will me) we (one of us) will go in for a minute or two calm her down and show her that we're still there and then leave again, this time for longer. repeat this until we reach our max of, say, 15 minutes, and then each time after that is 15 minutes. The book assumes that she will eventually fal asleep on her own, but my question is what if she doesn't? We've seen no evidence that she'll calm herself down at all, she cries until she makes herself throw up and then cries some more.

It's heartbreaking to see but we know that it's time to do something. Any advice from people who have done this?

kcmommy2be May 9th, 2013 08:05 AM

Re: "Ferber" method questions

Honey, I am SOOO sorry no one answered this for you. I can't really help in this situation since we knew we were gonna have kids closely spaced we decided to make our life easier and cuddle in the evening but not rock her actually to sleep, so she has been going down on her own since about 4 months. It IS hard, no doubt... how is she doing now???

NorasMom2112 May 9th, 2013 08:59 AM

Wow, I had completely forgotten about this post, thanks for the reply!

We actually were pretty successful. That first night was horrible, it took her about an hour and a half to fall asleep with us going in to say hi every 15 minutes. Her first nap the next day took a little under an hour, but after that it got a lot better. Within a couple of days she was falling asleep within 5-10 minutes and sleeping through the night with just one feeding.

At this point, she still cries sometimes, but usually she'll fall right asleep without much fuss. We couldn't believe how helpful this was. We were at our wits end and this made all the difference in the world.

kcmommy2be May 9th, 2013 10:00 AM

We had Kira in our room with us, which is probably a BIG reason she did it so early, at 7 months we moved and moved her into her own room and by then she was fine with it. I'm glad things worked out for you :)