JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   July, August & September 2012 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1756-july-august-and-september-2012-playroom/)
-   -   Weaned off the paci (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1756-july-august-and-september-2012-playroom/2642575-weaned-off-paci.html)

therevslady April 11th, 2013 06:11 PM

Weaned off the paci

We were using the soothie paci's. We started it when I realized Rowan had a tongue tie, in efforts to help him stretch his frenulum and get a better latch. It helped a lot and he seemed to sleep well with his paci. But lately he seems to have been indifferent. He liked it during the day, but didn't seem to care for it at night. So we ditched it. He doesn't seem to miss it at all. It only seems to have affected his sleep in the early morning (he doesn't seem to be sleeping as late). But his naps are fine and he goes to bed just fine at night. My daughter was the only one who took a paci out of my others, and when we took her paci away, we have her her teddy (who she still loves with a deep enduring passion to this day). So we gave Rowan his own lovie, a stuffed dog. He seems to really love it. I'm glad to have that over and done with, because for some reason I was expecting that to be a lot worse! Now I just need to get my 4 year old to stop sucking his thumb!

Jessimaaka April 11th, 2013 06:21 PM

Re: Weaned off the paci

Wow! Nice that it was painless! Hope our transition is as painless as yours...he seems to only be using it to chew on / teethe right now, and to fall asleep...we'll see how things go.

MosaicWife April 11th, 2013 07:17 PM

Glad it was easy. It was that easy for Doc too. Unfortunately, I have the same problem that you have with the four year old and the thumb. <_<

gumonyershoe April 11th, 2013 07:24 PM

Xavier quit his like that too. Just never had a need for it any longer. We haven't really replaced it with a different lovie though...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

rainbowfish April 12th, 2013 05:17 AM

The thumb is always hard since you can't take it away. The kids at school usually encourage them to stop once they get to kindergarten.

mama4life April 12th, 2013 12:48 PM

Glad he transitioned well. I wish Vincent would like a lovey. I have tried everything but all he wants is nursing. Sigh.

TuckrLeesMommy April 13th, 2013 10:45 AM

tuckr never took a paci really despite my efforts lol
but i cant get that darn double jointed thumb out of his mouth!!!
he has pacis that he plays with, the soothies kind, but those are just mixed in with his toys because he likes to chew on them, not actually suck on them.

glad it was so easy and painless for you tho!!

Mountain~Mama April 13th, 2013 02:50 PM

Sarah ditched hers too. I'm happy that it didn't turn into a long term deal but it really did help with the car rides. Now she just screams and there's no consoling her. :(

therevslady April 14th, 2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbowfish (Post 27279565)
The thumb is always hard since you can't take it away. The kids at school usually encourage them to stop once they get to kindergarten.

This might be a struggle since we homeschool! I have noticed that he doesn't seem to such his thumb when we are out of the house. He usually does it when we are reading a book together, when he is riding in the car, when we are doing lessons, etc. Now that the weather is better, I've been working hard to keep the kids active and out of the house. It's great for my hyperactive 4 year old to burn some energy and great also for my very social 8 year old. Hopefully it will be good for me too! I still have some postpartum weight to get rid of!

TKbunny April 15th, 2013 04:42 AM

Elias never really loved his paci. He only took it when he was really upset or when he was going to sleep. Now he might take it for a few minutes while going to sleep but he'll spit it out soon. But I have noticed has has just started sucking his thumb now. He never had before now. So I wonder if it's taking the place of his paci lol.