JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Breastfeeding or formula feeding? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2582676-breastfeeding-formula-feeding.html)

navywifey2003 October 9th, 2012 10:16 AM

Breastfeeding or formula feeding?

This is a hot topic. Keep it nice ladies!

Formula feeding or breastfeeding?

*Poll coming*

Melliesbelly October 9th, 2012 10:32 AM

I attempted to breastfeeding my first but had zero support and gave up after two weeks. This time around, I am determined to BF, and my SO is super supportive. I know I have more resources now and knowledge, so I'm not too worried.

navywifey2003 October 9th, 2012 10:38 AM

Re: Breastfeeding or formula feeding?

Melanie you and I sound a lot alike. I had a similar experience with my first. The 2nd was a little better but my husband deployed and I had a lot of PPD. The 3rd time however well I am still nursing him and will likely be tandem nursing when this little one gets here.

sweety_pie October 9th, 2012 10:39 AM

Breastfeeding hopefully....hoping the 3rd times a charm!

laurenicole October 9th, 2012 10:49 AM

I attempted with my first but it didn't last long. Then with the twins i was scared to even try because i was unsuccessful with the first. I'm determined to this time.

navywifey2003 October 9th, 2012 10:52 AM

If you ladies who were unsuccessful need support when the time comes I am more than willing. I know how hard it is to feel that its not working out or whatever. Just know that there is someone who understands and I am only a pm away!

elizabethchallis October 9th, 2012 11:19 AM

I am crossing my fingers were more successful with bfing this time. Ds swallowed a lot of fluid when I was pushing and had his stomach pumped after a day and he was starving in 2 hrs and had to supplement. I couldnt get him latched for a few weeks and pumped every 2-3 hrs to get my milk in. And decided to quit after a month. On top of that I had a forceful letdown and I couldnt get ds to latch in a laid back position. All my lcs said my milk should come faster with the next baby.

Gen88 October 9th, 2012 11:25 AM

I formula fed my DS, I gave up after a couple of tries. This baby is definitely getting breast fed. Not gonna give up!

edgeofelise October 9th, 2012 11:28 AM

I lucked out with DD and had no problems breastfeeding. Hopefully this baby will be just as easy, but I'm determined to make it work even if it's a struggle.

navywifey2003 October 9th, 2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elizabethchallis (Post 26630885)
I am crossing my fingers were more successful with bfing this time. Ds swallowed a lot of fluid when I was pushing and had his stomach pumped after a day and he was starving in 2 hrs and had to supplement. I couldnt get him latched for a few weeks and pumped every 2-3 hrs to get my milk in. And decided to quit after a month. On top of that I had a forceful letdown and I couldnt get ds to latch in a laid back position. All my lcs said my milk should come faster with the next baby.

2 hours is pretty normal for bf babies. With a forceful letdown it's best to nurse one side at a time, which is called block feeding. A few feedings each side helps with that issue.

LifesGood October 9th, 2012 11:40 AM

I dont see how its a hot topic just a question....

I am not sucessful BFing. I will try and if it does work I pump as long as I can... then I switch to formula.

elizabethchallis October 9th, 2012 11:41 AM

Babies who swallow amniotic fluid don't want to eat and I had nothing coming out anyway in the hospital. Thanks for the block feeding tip I haven't heard of that. My boobs get super lopsided anyway lol

**jessie** October 9th, 2012 11:43 AM

We breastfeed, although I should say a mix of nursing and pumping (only while I am at work).

I totally hear all of you who struggled with your first. My first was a preemie and I just could not make it work. I exclusively pumped for him for 10 months. But my second was SOOO easy to breastfeed... so hang in there girls and have confidence :)

elizabethchallis October 9th, 2012 11:49 AM

Jessie thats awesome that you were able to pump for that long!

**jessie** October 9th, 2012 11:53 AM

Looking back, I have no clue how I managed it!

navywifey2003 October 9th, 2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifesGood (Post 26631019)
I dont see how its a hot topic just a question....

I am not sucessful BFing. I will try and if it does work I pump as long as I can... then I switch to formula.

I have just seen it get very heated in the past. With bashing ect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elizabethchallis (Post 26631028)
Babies who swallow amniotic fluid don't want to eat and I had nothing coming out anyway in the hospital. Thanks for the block feeding tip I haven't heard of that. My boobs get super lopsided anyway lol

Your welcome. I dont know the ends and outs of that, I just had a very forceful letdown with our 3rd and that is what helped me. :)

amyhk October 9th, 2012 01:21 PM

My first I breastfed for almost 28 months. Hopefully will breastfeed the next one for as long.

TeresaV October 9th, 2012 03:29 PM

I am adamant on breastfeeding, and pumping so that DH can help feed too :)

Lindz253 October 9th, 2012 04:05 PM

I breastfed both my girls and I loved it and I hope this baby will be easy as the other two. They both self weened before they turned one but if they hadn't I would have done it until they were one.

8miraclez October 9th, 2012 04:22 PM

I'm not sure, which is strange to say as I've nursed all 7 in varying degrees.
It will depend on how early the baby is and what my doctor wants to do. I was started on meds while nursing my last one but she was 9 months at that point. I can't nurse a newborn on the same meds.
This will be one of those things I have to bring up at my dr, appt.