JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Declining Vax? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2614568-declining-vax.html)

sunnydaze January 14th, 2013 05:41 AM

Declining Vax?

How do you get your kids into school if you decline vacinations? I know some of you home school. But what about the rest of you?

Kim3 January 14th, 2013 06:15 AM

Re: Declining Vax?

I have not declined any vaccintations. Just an opinion - the diseases they are treated for are far deadlier than the risks associated with vaccines. Now, my son has Asperger's so I do get the thermosol free ones.

phantomsgrl11 January 14th, 2013 06:18 AM

I get the vaccines as well because my cousin has had two kidney transplants and the medicines he needs to survive compromise his immune system so something as "Easy" as the chicken pox could kill him. So any diseases that we can eradicate completely I am all for. He missed most of his senior year of high school due to the h1n1 virus because he was not allowed to attend when there was even one reported case. There are many many kids like him that don't have the option of skipping their medicine that day or their shots - its for all of them that I choose to vax my children.

SassySami January 14th, 2013 06:28 AM

In Colorado, we have a religious, medical or a personal exemption.

We mark a box, for personal reasons. But we also sign a waiver that states, if there is a out break of any kind. We will stay at home :)

It all depends on your state and what they require.

State Vaccine Requirements

MarylandMama January 14th, 2013 06:31 AM

I choose to vaccinate, but I don't like the crazy schedules of a bunch of shots at once. I get DD, and will do the same with this baby, one shot at a time. If there are 3 she is supposed to get, it's one every 3 weeks. I also make sure they are single dose vaccines vs the multi-dose bottles with preservatives. I figure my cautious nature can't hurt her in this case, so I have fought doctors to make this happen and I am happy about it. A big p,us to doing one at a time is, that if she has a reaction (she did with one) I knew which one, so I knew when to expect it again.

sunnydaze January 14th, 2013 07:39 AM

My state and MS are the only states that don't give you any option at all. Well, that answers that.

bribugg13 January 14th, 2013 08:11 AM

That sucks, Tania! I'm sorry they don't give you an option. Could you call the school and ask them their policies? Connor's only 2.5, so I'm not there yet, we don't fully decline vax's (I do for chicken pox, and hope he catches them before school starts!), but we do a delayed schedule. I plan to do the same for the new baby, and hope we don't run into any troubles with doctor's, etc. Good luck to you!

navywifey2003 January 14th, 2013 08:22 AM

We delay but complete the vaccines before we register the kids for school.

MamaSkunk January 14th, 2013 08:35 AM

I delayed the vax but DD has gotten them. I declined the Hep B vax they wanted to give her before she left the hospital....because seriously hep b is a sexually transmitted disease im sure shes not gonna just get that and ive heard of alot of babies getting sick and having reactions from that vax. But the rest she got just when she wasnt an infant. Id rather vax late than have my child get polio for example and have them not able to walk again (and there have been recent outbreaks of polio by the way)

BeccaMenk January 14th, 2013 10:19 AM

No vaxs here. Its really an important personal choice. You have to do all your research and decide what your comfortable living with.

4hearts January 14th, 2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SassySami (Post 26970100)
In Colorado, we have a religious, medical or a personal exemption.

We mark a box, for personal reasons. But we also sign a waiver that states, if there is a out break of any kind. We will stay at home :)

It all depends on your state and what they require.

State Vaccine Requirements

This. In Florida we have this. I've gotten them for a couple of ours though really it wasn't necessary due to us homeschooling.

LisaS January 14th, 2013 01:57 PM

Sign a waiver.

MrsLat January 14th, 2013 02:02 PM

I have always wondered this, even though I vaccinate my kids. Interesting... thanks for asking the question :)

Logan plus one Mommy January 14th, 2013 02:13 PM

Is it optional to vax in every state, or are there some where you would have to vax in order to enroll in schools? And if it is mandatory for schools, and you choose to decline vaxing, what then? I'm Canadian, and I'll admit that I don't know what happens here if we don't vax. My friend declined vaxing for all 4 of her kids, and the older 3 are all enrolled in school. I'm not sure if she had to sign paperwork or not, but I remember it was difficult.

sunnydaze January 14th, 2013 03:26 PM

SassySami posted a link that shows you on a map which states will allow it and which ones wont.

QueenCrafty January 14th, 2013 03:55 PM

I also declined the Hep B vax at birth because that seemed ridiculous to me. We did end up getting it several months later. I also decline flu shots for the kids. I'm not opposed to vaccines, I just prefer to only do some at a time instead of 5 at once. NC allows a medical or religious exemption, which I don't have

enchantingdragon January 14th, 2013 04:00 PM

I delay as well but get them. In the end I think the vaccine is better than the risk of the actual disease, most of which is eradicated in our country because of these vaccines but deadly in others because they dont have such options.

Logan plus one Mommy January 14th, 2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnydaze (Post 26972704)
SassySami posted a link that shows you on a map which states will allow it and which ones wont.

But if your state won't allow it, then what? Is homeschooling your only option?

zkat January 14th, 2013 06:43 PM

We selective vax based on conversations with my pedi

DTap was done on schedule and DH and I both got it. Flu, we wait each each year and assess the situation. We did flu shot last week. MMR was a single dose and on schedule. We will do chicken pox by age 4. Declined Polio because the ony reported cases of it in the US are from the Vax. We still need Hep ( which is not exclusively an STD. It is fluid borne)

It is personal and every situation is different.

crawmommy January 14th, 2013 06:57 PM

I vax and have followed the schedule the doctors have recommend in the past... however this time around I may do things differently. I was asked at DD 4 year check up if I wanted her to get her Kindergarten shots now and I said no I will get them when she needs them...I thought that was really weird and made me think about a lot of things vax related.