JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Shopping woes (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2617013-shopping-woes.html)

MarylandMama January 21st, 2013 03:39 PM

Shopping woes

Why is it so easy to spend money when you don't have it? I could have easily spent $10,000 online today... if I had it. I start looking at baby stuff and stuff for the new house (I want to replace all of our non-bedroom furniture, and even if I didn't, we'd still have two empty rooms). I also found out how expensive blinds are. The other homes I have lived in have already had blinds on the windows. But unless I want everyone who drives down the street to see me pregnant and naked, blinds will have to be the first thing we buy. I have shopped around and found the best prices possible and could still have spent so much. If it weren't for silly closing costs, I could really have spent a bundle today.

Anyone else having trouble controlling the urge to shop like a mad woman? Could this be considered a pregnancy craving? :smile:

mommy220 January 21st, 2013 03:52 PM

Re: Shopping woes

Yes, and right now we just don't have the money as we are getting caught up on some unexpected expenses. I cannot wait to start tackling my baby shopping list!

MamaSkunk January 21st, 2013 03:55 PM

Bummer that ya cant ask for the window treatments. Our realtor suggested we add that in as a request that the previous owners leave the window treatments and they did. :)

navywifey2003 January 21st, 2013 04:19 PM

My parents had the same issue we had sheets for a long time. Yes I want to spend so much but I can't! Come on tax refund!

shen7 January 21st, 2013 05:23 PM

Amazon wish list is my friend :) I often fake shop and just save to my wish list. Later on when I am in a practical minded mood I then just go to the wish list and decide what I actually need!

I like blinds.com for blinds. They have a huge variety and the prices have been great whenever I have comparison shopped. I agree that is a big ticket thing when you have to do the whole house at once. I would focus initially just on the really necessary windows for privacy. We never got any blinds or treatments for our back windows and I actually liked it, clean and simple and letting lots of light it.

MarylandMama January 21st, 2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaSkunk (Post 26998406)
Bummer that ya cant ask for the window treatments. Our realtor suggested we add that in as a request that the previous owners leave the window treatments and they did. :)

It's a new construction, so there are no previous owners to leave window treatments. I shopped around, particularly nextdayblinds.com, blinds.com, and blindster.com. Blindster had the best deals. Saved us a few hundred over the other sites.

Also, not an option to leave them off the back of the house. The house behind us will be built soon, which means construction workers would be able to see into my bedroom and bathroom. Yikes!

I think we have worked out a system for how to go about buying what we need. We just have to make sure we have every penny in the bank for closing before we spend anything on furniture. I also would like to buy baby stuff!

zkat January 21st, 2013 07:03 PM

We also built our house and had the builder install blinds and add to the cost of the house. Is that an option?

MarylandMama January 22nd, 2013 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zkat (Post 26999109)
We also built our house and had the builder install blinds and add to the cost of the house. Is that an option?

Not sure, but we already signed the papers with all of the options included. I think that would probably end up costing more anyway. I found a good deal on Blindster, they are just more than I realized. They wouldn't be so bad if that was all I had to buy, but with all of the new furniture, it adds up. When we lived in VA, we had a 2 bedroom condo. It was the bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen, dining room, and living room. Right now we are in a 3 BR townhouse, which is pretty much the same with an extra bedroom. The table and chairs set we have is a hand me down that's in pretty bad shape that we've been tolerating since we got married. The new house has a formal dining room and breakfast nook, so it makes 2 dining sets we need. Our couch is also falling apart (we only have one bc that's all that would ever fit where we've lived) and the new house has a family room, living room, and sunroom, so that's a lot of new seating to buy. This house is just a BIG upgrade from anywhere else we've lived in our adult lives, so we have to come up with A LOT of new furniture. We're going to have to prioritize (we decided blinds and breakfast table first) and then buy another piece of furniture every time we get paid. It is just so much fun looking at stuff online and planning to furnish the house that I just wish I could do it all at once!