JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   question for cloth diapers (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2617073-question-for-cloth-diapers.html)

crawmommy January 21st, 2013 08:13 PM

question for cloth diapers

Do you ladies that cd prefer snap closure or hook & loop and why?
Hook & loop is just the Velcro right?

edgeofelise January 21st, 2013 08:28 PM

Re: question for cloth diapers

Yes, hook and loop is just Velcro. You'll also see it called aplix. I have different preferences for different stages. Velcro is easier and quicker to adjust, making it great for the really little babies when you're doing diaper changes in the dark at night, and I also like it for squirmy babies because you can slap it on really quickly. Snaps, however, tend to hold up better and are harder for babies to remove. We have a mix of both and I don't really have a strong preference anymore because DD is usually pretty good about letting us change her. The Velcro (we have thirsties) look a little ratty after 2+ years of use but they still hold really well.

navywifey2003 January 21st, 2013 08:31 PM

I agree. Velcro is good but they tend to wear out quickly for that reason I prefer snaps.

SassySami January 21st, 2013 08:44 PM

All snaps here. :)

DaniB+3 January 21st, 2013 10:05 PM

I prefer snaps but have a healthy stash of velcro because I needed daddy friendly diapers. My husband was a little iffy about the cloth diapering thing so I had to make it as simple as possible.

mommy220 January 22nd, 2013 03:02 AM

I've been trying to figure this out too. From what I have read, I think I am going to go with a lot of velcro for the covers that baby will wear from the beginning because then I can adjust to get a better fit. Then, the diapers I use after that I will probably get snaps.

QueenCrafty January 22nd, 2013 03:24 AM

I have both. The Velcro can be different depending on the brand too. For covers, I think Bummis Super Brites have stronger Velcro than Thirsties. When it comes to pocket or AIO diapers, I prefer snaps

Karen78 January 22nd, 2013 05:49 AM

I have both, but I much prefer the snaps. Yes, the velcro gets a snugger fit, but the top part always seems to get folded into my son's belly so the velcro scratches his skin and he ends up with red scratch marks. Also, his legs get red marks much more if I use the velcro covers.

I didn't CD him until he was 4 weeks old and about 10 pounds though. I want to try CD right from the start this time, and I know snaps are difficult for a teeny baby. I'll probably get a small newborn stash of both.

bribugg13 January 22nd, 2013 06:22 AM

I hate, hate, hate velcro/hook n loop closures! I got ONE diaper to try it out, and highly disliked it. I only use snaps now. My velcro one was worn out within about 8-12 months or so, and I'm not the type to fix it myself, so now it's sitting in a drawer until I decide to sell it or something! Snaps are very easy, no hassle and it's hard for Connor to undo them still at 2.5 years old! ;)

4hearts January 22nd, 2013 06:25 AM

Aplix for a snugger fit is my preference.

shen7 January 22nd, 2013 08:07 AM

My hands and fingers somehow go all stupid when I need to snap snaps. I had almost all snaps in the beginning bc everything I read said snaps were the way to go. But first of all my DD had a funny big booty/small waist shape and I got a great fit with aplix because I could angle the tabs, and second aplix was just sooooo much easier and faster. Plus if it "breaks" (coming unstitched) it is easy for me to fix. When snaps pull through or break, it is really hard to fix. Now we have just a few snap covers and fitteds but are 90% aplix and I love it. :) I think you have to try both and see what works for you and baby!

8miraclez January 22nd, 2013 08:33 AM

I have a mix of both. Some of the ones with snaps have left little sores but if it's a cover, it holds everything in tighter. When they're newborn, the hook and loop ones are easy to use. When they get bigger and think they should strip, the snaps stay on better. I guess it depends on my mood. We aren't cding right now.