JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   BTDT Moms - Breast pumps (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2621660-btdt-moms-breast-pumps.html)

Hopeful2BMommy February 3rd, 2013 09:17 PM

BTDT Moms - Breast pumps

I know I need to check with my insurance about a free pump, but...

As a stay at home mom, will I really need a $300 fancy pump? I registered for a Avent manual pump because I'm just not sure how much I'll be pumping. Someone please give me advice on this!! I have no idea.:confused:

8miraclez February 3rd, 2013 09:33 PM

Re: BTDT Moms - Breast pumps

I liked my manual avent pump for occasional pumping. If you plan to miss a feeding now and then, I'd get a single electric pump just because it does get tiring.

LisaS February 3rd, 2013 09:38 PM

I loved my Medela PISA when I was a working mom. As a SAHM, I used the manual pump every so often just to get a bottle for DH to feed DS. I think I took out the electric on maybe 5 times...

MamaSkunk February 3rd, 2013 09:53 PM

I think it depends on if your working or not Amy...and then I would say depending on how often youd like to pump...and also depending on if baby has any problems nursing. I personally am getting the top of the line medela because DD wouldnt latch because of nipple shape. And the cheap kind do not help with keeping a decent supply up. Altho Id suggest a cheapie single electric may be best if your gonna be SAHM and want the occasional bottle for DH or if your away from baby.

MerinSun February 3rd, 2013 10:10 PM

I plan to apply for the best they'll offer and I intend on being a SAHM. However, I do know that maybe in 6 months I will have to return to the workforce or get a graduate assistantship or something which will mean more pumping. I intend on breastfeeding for at least 18 months (probably will shoot for 2 years) and would like to pump to keep up my supply. So, while in the short-term I don't intend to use the pump a lot I'm thinking of the long-term and for the next baby (IF I decide to have a third!).

BTW, if my insurance company is willing to pay for a similar pump to my medela I will be putting my old medela pump up for sale. It is used but very clean. The bag it came in took a severe beating (I also used it to haul lunches/snacks and the tubberware stuff kept pulling at the fabric). All the accessories will need to be purchased but I intend to price my old pump to keep the total overall cost to about $80. It was used for only a year on part-time hours with an average of 2 pumps per day around 15-30 minutes at a time.

farmfourmama February 3rd, 2013 10:38 PM

I've been a SAHM and love my swing!!! By Medela!! Best pump ever! It's a single electric that can plug into your wall or car or can use batteries!

I personally thought it was a complete waste to have a manual took forever!! And won't keep your supply up like a two stage (pumps with two rythms like a baby for natural letdown) Medela will!

Also!! Check the back of toys r us catalogue they ALWAYS have coupons in the back!!
At least in Canada! You can even get them online!

It's 189.97 online in canada( probably cheaper in us)
Oh I guess it's 219.00 regular price! But is on sale online!

Also it's lasted for my three kids I've had so far and my sil borrowed it for a child this year (she got new tubing and shields)

One last point! It's worth buying a good one off the bat! You can waste more on cheaper ones!

jhmomofmany February 3rd, 2013 10:47 PM

For most of the years I've spent nursing babies, I didn't even have a pump. Never needed it at all. I had to go back to work when my youngest was a baby, though, so I was able to get a good double pump. I'll keep it but I'm honestly hoping I never have to use it again. ;) If you plan to pump somewhat regularly, it really is worth it to get a better electric one. I would personally say that a manual pump is only suitable for emergency or very occasional situations.

crawmommy February 4th, 2013 02:26 AM

If you are going to have more kids spend the money just skip the bs and buy a double electric medela. It is a good investment.

mommy220 February 4th, 2013 03:55 AM

I will be retuning to work when she is 5-6 months old so I need a good double electric. I got rid of my old one. I started adding in a pumping session right away because I liked to have a good supply of milk in the freezer for emergencies. I am weird like that! I got stressed if my freezer supply was low!

Kim3 February 4th, 2013 05:23 AM

I used the pump only when at work. Then I wanted to pump as quick as possible:D

edgeofelise February 4th, 2013 09:22 AM

I second the Medela Swing. That's what I have and it's great. I went back to work very part time when DD was 3 months old and it was nice to have a small freezer stash. I never left the house without her other than for work until she was 7 months old, but this time I totally will make more time for myself and leave the baby at home with DH for a few hours with a couple of bottles. The first time I went out on my own just for fun after having DD, I cried with overwhelming relief. I didn't know how much it had affected me to never be alone for a second. Uh, ooops. That's probably a topic for another thread, lol.

QueenCrafty February 4th, 2013 12:18 PM

A manual would be fine for an occasional pumped bottle, but I would also recommend getting an electric one. I've used the Ameda Purely Yours (cheaper than the Medela but works just as good) and the Medela Pump in Style. I went out of town once for a weekend when Abri was 18 months and forgot my pump. She was only nursing twice a day by then anyway, so I just picked up a manual at Target and that lasted me through the weekend away no problem.