JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Nesting or just plain CRAAAAAAZY! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2621675-nesting-just-plain-craaaaaazy.html)

MerinSun February 3rd, 2013 10:19 PM

Nesting or just plain CRAAAAAAZY!

I've never been able to organize or style my house in a grown-up way. I try my best but it never works out for me. I just don't have that eye. My mother constantly gets under my skin whenever I try something new because all I get is a raised eyebrow and an "Oookay" She once remarked that my house looks like a college student's apartment :( Part of the problem is that we just don't have the funds to upgrade on things. A piece here or there has been upgraded but not whole rooms or anything. My goal is to replace all the Target book cases in the house with nicer all hardwood ones. We check out the used stores a lot to find those.

ANYWAY back to my point.

In an effort to at least keep my house tidy and keep me from feeling overwhelmed I've decided to write my own daily, weekly, monthly, yearly cleaning tasks.

When I was pregnant with my son I felt a deep LOATHING for certain areas of my house and NOTHING (and I do mean NOTHING) else could be done until those areas had been tackled. To check that and to feel like I'm doing more for the baby I figured that making chore lists would make me feel like I'm doing more.

Does anybody else do this? How successful of a strategy do you find it to be?

MamaSkunk February 3rd, 2013 10:28 PM

Re: Nesting or just plain CRAAAAAAZY!

Oh god I did this when preg with DD!!!! I would tackle one area at a time cleaning and organizing and decluttering. There was no method to my madness....one night my bedroom closet....then the next id tackle the kitchen floors and cleaning behind the fridge and under the stove. Then itd be the living room floor and baseboards.

farmfourmama February 3rd, 2013 10:32 PM

Check out
FlyLady.net

She has a premise that is amazing! Talks about hot spots in Your home! Splits your house into zones! And send you one 15 minute job a day to do! Emails right to you and they are things you don't always think to clean!
Helps an unorganized girl like me with three kids four and under keep it somewhat controlled lol!!

Love me some flylady!

And her toilet brush is the most AMAZING THING YOU WILL EVER USE TO CLEAN A TOILET hahahaha

Kim3 February 4th, 2013 05:29 AM

I have not done the list. However we used our spare room as storage over the years. I am purging everything now. Pulled out 9 containers of clothing yersterday. Washing them. Separating what ok for a girl and giving rest to nieces (yep I am that old that nieces are having kids). I am determined to get every room in the house purged and in order prior to delivery.

shen7 February 4th, 2013 07:38 AM

We moved from a large 2400 sq ft home in Mississippi, to one room in my parents' house with our stuff in storage for months, and finally last summer to a tiny 1100 sq ft house that thankfully has a storage shed and attic storage space. We DRASTICALLY simplified... everything is very pared down! So I really don't have a ton of decluttering to do. But I definitely have to sort through all the baby clothes I saved, pick some girly things that are special to hang onto for close friends or family, get rid of all the other girly stuff. And we have a donation bag and box that needs to go out the door.

I am sure that once I get the nesting instinct I will be scrubbing the floor and my hands and knees and all that craziness :lol: but that is a ways off!

Flylady is definitely worth checking out if you are feeling out of control!!! Awesome tips.

edgeofelise February 4th, 2013 08:43 AM

I make lists in my head, but they're really not necessary since I'm already a crazy Virgo type-A organizer. I rearrange furniture like twice a week. Last weekend we got a dresser for DD so that we can use her old changing table/dresser combo for the baby. We barely had it in the door before I whipped out the vinegar to wipe it out and by naptime I already had all of Henry's clothes and diapers folded and organized and put away...only 18 weeks early, lol.

I am absolutely dying to set up the crib and all the other baby stuff, but baby will be sharing our bedroom and it'll be cramped, so I know I'll be kicking myself for putting a giant piece of furniture there to be in the way for my entire third trimester. Maybe I'll make a list of OTHER things I can organize to keep my twitchy fingers off the baby stuff!

MerinSun February 4th, 2013 11:21 AM

I tried to make the cleaning schedule available online but I don't know if it will work for you guys. Can someone let me know if it is showing? It's a document I loaded into my Google Drive.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6MM...it?usp=sharing

ashleykathleen February 4th, 2013 11:38 AM

I did that with my last pregnancy! I made a weekly cleaning list of every single room or closet in the house. I went through and decluttered/organized every single inch of our house and, of course, did all the deep cleaning that usually goes undone for months on end. I plan on doing the same this time once we get a little closer to the finish line.

overlinmommy17 February 4th, 2013 11:49 AM

LOL a woman after my own heart:) I am just like this.... I love your list:)

MerinSun February 4th, 2013 12:00 PM

Oh good, you can see it! I realized after I printed and put it up in my kitchen that i forgot to add "wash kitchen baseboards" oh well.

I put both lists back to back in a plastic sleeve so that I could write on them with dry erase and keep track of what I've done (more important for the yearly/monthly stuff).

I also realize that this list makes my house seem huge. I have a smallish tri-level house that has more stairs than closets, lol.