JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   opinions on 3D ultrasound (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2625123-opinions-3d-ultrasound.html)

Rissa6213 February 13th, 2013 11:03 AM

opinions on 3D ultrasound

Hey ladies. So I made an appointment for March 7th for a 3D sono. All of my pregnant friends have gotten them, but now I'm having second thoughts. Yes, I want to get one and see my baby boy's face while he is still in my tummy, but I've read both good and bad things about them. Bad things like, its more stress because the frequencies are set higher to get the image quality, and my mom said some lady told her that all ultrasounds are linked to autism, which I really don't believe that one. I don't want to cause my son any harm or discomfort just because I want to be selfish and see him....what are your opinions? I'm going to ask my OB during my appointment on Saturday but I'll take all the thoughts I can :-)

Kalynas_Mom February 13th, 2013 11:07 AM

Re: opinions on 3D ultrasound

You really have to go with what you believe. I personally don't see the harm. I've had a bunch of normal 2D ultrasound and 1 3D already and will be having another 3D done for pictures in 3-4 weeks. Some women who have high risk pregnancies have to have ultrasounds constantly to monitor the baby. My OB does not believed ultrasounds are of any risk.

zkat February 13th, 2013 11:09 AM

I had 2 3D's with B1 and he is very normal 2 year old.

As far as the sono's link to autism, I had 24 sonograms, nst, growth scans with B1 and no hint of being on the spectrum. I haven't read the studies, but my thinking is that typically women that are high risk get considerably more ultrasounds during pregnancy. Is it possible it is the high risk conditions that contribute to the autism and not the ultrasounds. I also believe Autism spikes are environmental, so it would be very important to correlate the rise in "normal" pregnancies with autism and High risk, lots of sono pregnancies with Autism. If both have seen an increase in Autism, then the ultrasounds are not the link. Just my 2 cents.

Kat.

MrsLat February 13th, 2013 11:23 AM

I don't know much about the link between autism and ultrasounds. I just know that I had them 2x a week--once on my cervix, once on baby for 5 weeks when I was in the hospital with DD because I was so high risk. She isn't showing any signs of autism. Of course that is just my experience. But I would like to have a 3D ultrasound done on this little guy in about 5-7 weeks if I can!

cheerfulsunrise February 13th, 2013 12:55 PM

Luckily, my doctor has a 3D setting on the machine in his office, so he has taken a few pics on that setting for me. I don't know if there is any difference between this and a real 3D ultrasound. The pics are very cool, but the quality depended on how the baby was facing and how far away the baby was from the front of my tummy.

shen7 February 13th, 2013 01:15 PM

There is no evidence that ultrasounds can cause autism. That is bunk.

There are effects of ultrasound and doppler, however. It is almost certainly uncomfortable for most babies. I have read that a normal u/s, for the baby sounds like a subway train arriving. Very loud and disturbing to them since they aren't used to it. And in the embryonic stage (first trimester), baby mice exposed to extremely high level ultrasound waves for long periods of time have had organ damage.

There is virtually no harm in diagnostic u/s or doppler as performed in a medical setting. The benefits of diagnosis, etc FAR outweigh any teeny risk. However, I do feel that because of the discomfort to the baby, and the mouse research, it is prudent to limit these technologies to medical, diagnostic purposes. I personally do not believe in home use dopplers. I also do not believe in doing "fun"/for-profit ultrasounds, since they may or may not have properly trained personnel and properly calibrated equipment, and I just don't think it's worth the risk. In your particular case, I would not do the 3D. You will see your baby's face FOR REAL soon enough :) That is my advice anyway, take it or leave it. I know the mall ultrasounds are popular and many people do them, I just personally have decided it is not for me.

crawmommy February 13th, 2013 01:56 PM

I do not know of any risks regarding u/s except my dr's new clinic does not allow the heartbeat to be listened to during an u/s bc the dr's believe the u/s frequency waves are too high but if I go to his office at the hospital wwhixh is where I normally go they do it there.
Personally I think 3D imagines are bit creepy and not for me but I know a lot of people who love them!

zkat February 13th, 2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shen7 (Post 27090095)
There is no evidence that ultrasounds can cause autism. That is bunk.

There are effects of ultrasound and doppler, however. It is almost certainly uncomfortable for most babies. I have read that a normal u/s, for the baby sounds like a subway train arriving. Very loud and disturbing to them since they aren't used to it. And in the embryonic stage (first trimester), baby mice exposed to extremely high level ultrasound waves for long periods of time have had organ damage.

There is virtually no harm in diagnostic u/s or doppler as performed in a medical setting. The benefits of diagnosis, etc FAR outweigh any teeny risk. However, I do feel that because of the discomfort to the baby, and the mouse research, it is prudent to limit these technologies to medical, diagnostic purposes. I personally do not believe in home use dopplers. I also do not believe in doing "fun"/for-profit ultrasounds, since they may or may not have properly trained personnel and properly calibrated equipment, and I just don't think it's worth the risk. In your particular case, I would not do the 3D. You will see your baby's face FOR REAL soon enough :) That is my advice anyway, take it or leave it. I know the mall ultrasounds are popular and many people do them, I just personally have decided it is not for me.

I guess I just assume all 3D ultrasounds are in a Dr. Setting. I don't know why, but I do. My Dr. machine has a 3D setting on it, so I know it is a trained tech (and the same one that does all of my ultrasounds, so I trust her)

I would never go to boutique/for fun place to have it done. There is just too many if factors in there

Madison.Hailey.Zack February 13th, 2013 04:14 PM

I have never gotten them since they are expensive and since we didn't do it with Madison we decided not to do it with Hailey or Zack.

Rissa6213 February 13th, 2013 04:17 PM

Yea the facility I am going to is not a boutique either. It was recommended by the first OB I had been seeing before I switched doctors because she left the clinic, so I at least know It is somewhere with trained technicians. I would never go to a place in a mall etc .... I was just going to double check with
My new OB to see if he had the same opinion. Thanks girls. I feel better now!

8miraclez February 13th, 2013 06:46 PM

I think they are cool, kinda creepy, but still cool. I'm seeing a perinatologist and will be getting an ultrasound at almost every appointment. When I asked for a 3-d pic, all they did was flip a switch on the ultrasound machine. I've had multiple ultrasounds with every one of my kids, including fetal echos, and I have some very bright kids. If you want one, and can afford it, do it.