JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Finished baby project (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2628487-finished-baby-project.html)

Joanne Nicole February 22nd, 2013 06:17 PM

Finished baby project

I've been working on this for a couple of days and I'm really pleased with the way it turned out! I'm doing a woodland theme for Finnegan's bedroom and this is the first DIY project I've completed for it. I love it!

http://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...7b8c84d70f.jpg

(The lighting is a little blah because I just took the picture, it's night time, and all I have is the light from the ceiling fan. The colours are a bit more vibrant than they look in this photo...the wall is pale grey and the frame is dark grey.)

KellBell2621 February 22nd, 2013 06:39 PM

Re: Finished baby project

so cute!

MarylandMama February 22nd, 2013 06:44 PM

Really adorable! I am so impressed. I am not at all crafty, so it something I would never be able to do. That is super cute!

beatlechicksteph February 22nd, 2013 06:44 PM

Awww thats cute!!!

LisaS February 22nd, 2013 06:48 PM

That is so cute!

hilachu February 22nd, 2013 07:19 PM

love it!!! cant wait to see the whole room
I need to start putting my crafty ideas into actual work as well

MamaSkunk February 22nd, 2013 07:28 PM

Cute!

Gen88 February 22nd, 2013 07:35 PM

So cute! Where did you be the chevron paper? Love it.

~*Kudzu*~ February 22nd, 2013 07:53 PM

That is so adorable!!! Can't wait to see the rest of the room!

Joanne Nicole February 22nd, 2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gen88 (Post 27125713)
So cute! Where did you be the chevron paper? Love it.

Isn't it adorable? I love chevron, but I didn't want to go overboard with it in the room, so I thought the background would be good for it. I just Googled "Blue Chevron", found one I liked, and then printed it on regular paper.

pamela.burke611 February 22nd, 2013 08:44 PM

omg I want one of these!

Gen88 February 22nd, 2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joanne Nicole (Post 27125812)
Isn't it adorable? I love chevron, but I didn't want to go overboard with it in the room, so I thought the background would be good for it. I just Googled "Blue Chevron", found one I liked, and then printed it on regular paper.

Ooh great idea, will do that. Thank you :)

crawmommy February 22nd, 2013 10:37 PM

When you ar done with your nursery mine needs someone creative to tend to it :)

mommy220 February 23rd, 2013 04:14 AM

Adorable!!

rcjh12 February 23rd, 2013 04:48 AM

So cute!

Joanne Nicole February 23rd, 2013 05:49 AM

I'm glad you guys all like it, I really love the way it turned out.

Quick question for you ladies...I posted the same picture on my facebook, and it's gotten a similar response - I've had quite a few people tell me that I should be selling my felt crafts on Etsy. (Felt is my favourite thing to work with, I've made tons of toys and art projects for Fiona and for friends with kids.) So my question is, what would you pay for something like this? The frame is 20''x10'' - each individual setting is 5''x7'', so the felt characters are about 5 inches tall.

The frame was the biggest expense at $12.99 + tax, plus time and gas mileage it took getting to the Ikea in the next city over to pick it up. I already had the felt and thread and glue and all that on hand from my craft stash, but I estimate another $2-$4 in materials there. So, for all that it comes to $18-$20 for this. Then you factor in the time it took me to make this...Being that it was my first attempt and I was taking my time, I finished the project over the course of two days. But now that I've done it, if I were to make the exact same one again I could probably do it in 3 hours. Any variations would obviously take longer as I haven't done them before - say if someone wanted jungle animals instead of forest animals, etc. What is my time worth? Even if I paid myself less than minimum wage at $5/hr, that'd be $15. Bringing the total cost up to $35. So that's the bare bones price, if I wanted to make any profit, I'd need to charge a little more.

Would you pay $40 for something like this or does that seem unreasonable? I know I've seen similar things for more, but I'm also the type that would never spend that much. I always think to myself, I could make that for less! But I know there are a lot of people out there who don't want to put in the time to make it and are happy to pay someone else to do it.

What do you think?

TeresaV February 23rd, 2013 06:07 AM

Nice work! I am someone who has great ideas, but lacks execution. You, clearly, are not lacking in that area.

QueenCrafty February 23rd, 2013 07:08 AM

Love it!! I am terrible at estimating prices for the things I make. I think $40 is totally reasonable, but does that pay you enough for your time?

Madison.Hailey.Zack February 23rd, 2013 08:00 AM

That is so cute!

lalap February 23rd, 2013 08:23 AM

I would totally pay $40 for that! (Well, I'd get my mom to buy it. Haha.) I LURVE little woodland critters!