JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Overwhelmed.... Books! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2632923-overwhelmed-books.html)

Lady KW March 8th, 2013 07:29 AM

Overwhelmed.... Books!

It seems with every aspect of becoming new parents there are a ton of recommended readings, from pregnancy and birth, to breastfeeding and beyond! Yikes, I better get reading :mellow:

If you had to pick one reference for FTMs, what would it be?

zkat March 8th, 2013 07:47 AM

Re: Overwhelmed.... Books!

There are several different parenting philosophies and most parenting books fall into one of those categories. You will need to decide on your parenting philosophies to help narrow down your search. The two most common schools of thought are Traditional Parenting and Attachment parenting.

I am a proponent of Attachment Parenting and was raised strictly traditional parenting. The principals of attachment parenting are as follows:

If you would like more resources for attachment parenting, then Dr. William Sears is a great place to start, as well as this particular board because I believe the bulk of the mommies here are AP.

I don't know many resources for Traditional parenting, but maybe someone here can chime in and help you.

When we were getting ready for Bourne's arrival, I read both sides just to determine where our style fell and to educate myself on different things (the pros and cons of sleep training was a big one and feeding on demand vs. scheduled feedings)

It is very overwhelming but you will figure out what is best for you and your family. The only advice that I will give in this area is go with what YOU AND YOUR DH/SO feel is best. You are going to get a ton of well meaning advice that is probably misdirected and out of date. Just smile, say thank you and then do what you feel is best.

edgeofelise March 8th, 2013 07:50 AM

Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn is my favorite comprehensive pregnancy guide. I also love Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding.

For newborn stuff, The Happiest Baby on the Block was amazing for DD. When she got older and we had sleep issues, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child suited our family really well, but everyone's philosophy on sleep training is different (I ended up changing my tune when things got really, really bad) so you'll want to wait on that until you get to know your baby and have an idea on what your needs are.

That's it, really. I was also on kellymom.com with every single BF issue and it's truly amazing. But overall, don't get too overwhelmed by all the reading. You'll look back after a year and realize that what always works best is your own instinct; it's just nice to have the reading to back you up and give you ideas. You'll find your own groove pretty quickly if you just listen to your baby and relax. :)

shen7 March 8th, 2013 08:13 AM

I liked Dr Sears- The Baby Book as an all purpose guide from an AP perspective.

I also had the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) book Your Child: Birth to Age 5 but found it clunky and hard to read... then I found out there is a (paid) phone app from the AAP called KidsDoc where you can look up symptoms and illnesses and it tells you when to call the doc, when to call 911, when to treat at home, and the best home treatments. Pretty much the most useful info from the book in a fully up to date and easy to use format. I use that one ALL THE TIME!!!!! Lifesaver for a nervous mommy and it is always right there on my phone. There is also a website called HealthyChildren.org with the same info, which is great if you are on a computer.

farmfourmama March 9th, 2013 09:53 PM

I didn't really read much. I believe you will parent how it works for you, and you will research for specifics on a need to basis. Just my opinion!

Kim3 March 10th, 2013 05:11 AM

I know I read - forget which. In the end somehow our first communicated (of course without talking) what he needed. I really think once you have your own child you just sort of figure it out.

navywifey2003 March 10th, 2013 09:09 AM

It's amazing how they tell you without saying anything what they need or want. I didnt read much either, I'm very go with the flow. That said I like dr. Sears.

MerinSun March 10th, 2013 10:11 AM

I have read a few books but I forget what they are! When I have a question or concern I usually pick up the What to Expect (insert age group here) book. Otherwise I look online.

For breastfeeding I rely solely on Kelly's mom and the Leaky B@@b. Also, I always recommend this youtube video for latching issues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGttPTx7iSs

This really helped me a lot when Alex started getting lazy and not opening his mouth wide enough.