JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Diaper bag questions (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2634696-diaper-bag-questions.html)

Hopeful2BMommy March 14th, 2013 08:42 AM

Diaper bag questions

Do you feel like the color of your bag needs to match baby's gender? I can't decide.

I also can't decide between a Vera Bradley or a Petunia Pickle Bottom.

Do you like a backpack over a shoulder bag?

Joanne Nicole March 14th, 2013 09:00 AM

Re: Diaper bag questions

I don't think the colour needs to match the gender. With DD, I had a brown leather tote with blue and cream colored floral print on the inside. It was nice , but I learned that I prefer a backpack to a purse style diaper bag.

navywifey2003 March 14th, 2013 09:58 AM

I had a floral hot pink diaper bag with Everett. I was carrying it so I didnt feel it needed to match gender. I need something big that can hold cloth for two kiddos.

bribugg13 March 14th, 2013 12:03 PM

Well, I would have said yes color matters LOL but since I have SO MANY diaper bags from Connor, some blue/green, some neutral colors, I just can't justify spending MORE money on a pink bag! LOL I usually just buy whatever pattern I like, regardless of gender.

I'm a Vera fan, I checked out PP bags when I was pregnant with Connor and just didn't like them as much. As Connor got older, I ended up getting a Vera backpack. It worked better for big trips like the zoo, etc and was just more convenient. Over the shoulder bags can get to be a PITA if it's stuffed full and heavy and you end up carrying it a lot. My skip hop bag has clips that allowed it to be clipped to the handle of the stroller so I didn't even have to use the storage under the stroller.

QueenCrafty March 14th, 2013 02:29 PM

I personally prefer a shoulder bag that's more like a purse. I am sure a backpack would be more comfortable, but I tend to go for looks vs function. I'm a purse snob. :lol: As for color, no I've never picked based on gender. With the girls I had a brown, a brown and green, and then a grey. This time I've got a tan canvas with an orange stripe. I'm not really a pink person anyway

ashleykathleen March 14th, 2013 04:18 PM

I'm also a purse snob so, for me, I choose looks over function. I prefer to have an over the shoulder bag that looks more like a purse since a lot of the time it will take the place of my purse. I have a gorgeous black leather coach purse that I am not very happy about not carrying the next few months lol.

I don't think color has to match gender. With my other kids, I've had black & black/grey/white so I guess I tend to gravitate toward gender neutral that will match with any of my clothes. I just found a new diaper bag that is dark grey with a funky green/yellow/grey owl print on the inside. Until you open it, it looks just like a purse.

TeresaV March 14th, 2013 04:22 PM

I am more concerned about getting something that DH doesn't feel weird carrying.

Kim3 March 14th, 2013 04:54 PM

I say purchase what you like since you carry it :p

MarylandMama March 14th, 2013 06:34 PM

I also prefer a shoulder bag that looks more like a purse b/c I hate the feel and look of a backpack. But that's just me. I also don't see why it would have to match the baby's gender since you're the one that is going to be carrying it. Get what you like, what is comfortable for you, and what you will be happy carrying as long as you need it.

crawmommy March 14th, 2013 07:22 PM

I personally don't like traditional diaper bags. I prefer totes in solid colors that will not clash with my outfit. I am also cheap so I cannot see spending a fortune. I had good luck at tj maxx or marshalls with dd. I will keep looking until I find the 'one'. Oh and I like to have a couple bags to choose from, one for short trips, one for longer trips and one for dh.

So no I do not think the bag has to be gender specific.

4hearts March 14th, 2013 10:14 PM

I just got a Vera Bradley that's blue and though I think this is a boy, it's only a coincidence that the bag is blue. I just happened to like the blue one. I don't think the gender needs to match the color diaper-bag. If I get surprised with a girl, it won't bother me that the DB is blue :)

I haven't loved the backpacks but this is my first time trying out the purse style diaper-bag. I like that I could throw this one on like a messenger bag and it wouldn't slip around awkwardly like the backpacks do which I always end up only wearing the one strap bc it feels strange to wear both straps on like I'm in school or hiking. Just my preference though.

eshute March 15th, 2013 07:43 AM

We're asking for a backpack style diaper bag. It's just black with green on the inside. I wanted something easy to carry and something that SO didn't feel funny carrying. I'm a function over looks kind of girl, so it really doesn't make a difference to me as long as I can comfortably carry everything I need. Shoulder bags are too hard for me to mess around with having a purse to carry, plus a baby. The only reason I know this is because I helped out a lot with my niece and nephew when they were smaller, but who knows. I might change my ways. I'm sure I'll change a lot of things once she's here.

KellBell2621 March 15th, 2013 09:54 AM

as for color i would get whatever you feel most comfortable with :) it doesn't need to be gender specific but as some other ladies have mentioned just something that can kind of go with everything since you'll be the one carrying it everywhere. also, don't feel like you have to get an actual diaper bag. i prefer large totes/purses to shove all my stuff into :)

mommy220 March 15th, 2013 04:36 PM

I am trying to decide between:

The Skip Hop Studio Tote in black dots

or

The Vera Bradley Make a Change

I have been OBSESSED with watching You Tube videos.

I was considering a PP one or Ju Ju Be but I honestly have found better accolades for the SKip Hop one.

NO, I do not think that a diaper bag has to match gender!

QueenCrafty March 15th, 2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeresaV (Post 27196724)
I am more concerned about getting something that DH doesn't feel weird carrying.

We got a cheap backpack style one that DH picked out with the idea that he probably wouldn't want the purse style. I think he used it a handful of times, and just carried my purse style ones anyway on his own. I'm thinking he was too lazy to pack his bag and mine always had the stuff we needed. It's kinda funny seeing him with the diaper bag, but if he's okay with baby wrangling on his own with a feminine bag then I'm all for it

MarylandMama March 15th, 2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy220 (Post 27200077)
I am trying to decide between:

The Skip Hop Studio Tote in black dots

or

The Vera Bradley Make a Change

I have been OBSESSED with watching You Tube videos.

I was considering a PP one or Ju Ju Be but I honestly have found better accolades for the SKip Hop one.

NO, I do not think that a diaper bag has to match gender!

I go the Make a Change bag and love it! I love that the pocket on the back is just big enough to keep a change of clothes and there are enough pockets in the bag for my stuff, DD's stuff, and baby's stuff. And I think the two outside pockets (one on each side) will be great for bottles of water for me and DH when we take day trips, which we do a lot when the weather is nice. I don't know anything about the Skip Hop bag, but just wanted to let you know that after playing with it, the Make a Change bag is great! Even better than I thought it was when I bought it.