JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Baby medicene (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2641880-baby-medicene.html)

bobbiejo1982 April 9th, 2013 11:01 AM

Baby medicene

What should I get to have on hand for baby medicine?

What kind of fever reducer should I use for neborn/infant?

Hopeful2BMommy April 9th, 2013 11:05 AM

Re: Baby medicene

Good question for us ftm!

SassySami April 9th, 2013 11:20 AM

hmmm I'm very anti meds for babies..

Fevers are around to fight off whatever the baby has.

http://www.motherearthliving.com/hea...or-babies.aspx

Do not get me wrong, we will use western meds when have tried all eastern meds.

Kim3 April 9th, 2013 11:32 AM

I love Tylenol - the red one with the little dropper. Advil - the purple one also works.

wildchihuahua April 9th, 2013 11:58 AM

Tylenol is the only one that is recommended for babies under the age of 6 months. Ibuprofen can be too hard on their little kidneys before 6 months.

Also, make sure you have nasal saline drops (such as BabyAyr) and a nasal suction bulb, since a little congestion can really clog up the tiny nose. Newborns are obligate nose breathers, meaning they cannot breath through their mouth if congested. This can interfere with feeding and sleeping, so suctioning makes a big difference. Do not use any cold medicines without the advise of your physician.

Other than that, have some diaper cream. I personally like Boudreaux's the best - smells nice and doesn't stain.

Hope that helps!

rcjh12 April 9th, 2013 12:06 PM

I would recommend some gripe water and/or Mylicon drops, but that's coming from my MONTHS of a colicky/gassy/fussy baby with my youngest.

Although he's still kinda whiny at 6 so maybe it wasn't ever gas ;)

navywifey2003 April 9th, 2013 12:27 PM

I don't use much medicine on newborns or infants. I try warm baths and steamy showers before giving any type of meds.

zkat April 9th, 2013 01:06 PM

I agree with the others, if you can avoid meds on little ones, it is best. If your little one runs a fever, then your Pedi office can recommend dosage based on weight.

For colds and congestion - boogie wipes, saline spray and nose suction

For gas/etc - Mylicon, gripe water or little tummies. I also would fill a sock with rice and get gently warm and hold to his tummy.

Teething pain - I swear by the amber necklace

MamaSkunk April 9th, 2013 01:14 PM

I also was told by the many nurses in my family that you should avoid any medicines for newborns. Use a suction bulb for nasal decongestion (BTW you shouldn't use decongestants on any child under 6) also steam...so crank up that shower high as it goes and sit in there with your baby. Also like soothing vapor johnson n johnson bubble bath for congestion.The only time you will want to use a med is on a temp. A high grade temp is anything over 102. And that's when your gonna wanna use a fever reducer (never attempt to sweat it out on any child) I used Infant Motrin for a fever reducer as that's what the doctor and pharmacist reccomended to me. However...before buying any thing talk to your pediatrician and the pharmacist for good measure beforehand as things are always changing. But decongestants and cough medicines don't even bother with as they aren't for baby's much less a young child.

Also if your newborn gets a fever your gonna wanna go to the Dr more than self treat as fevers in infants can spike quickly.
As your baby gets older tho...a tepid bath(not cool) will help lower fevers. Or strip them down.

Oh and plain pedialyte is always good to have on hand.

Kalynas_Mom April 10th, 2013 11:52 AM

Tempra, Tylenol, Advil. I never used advil until DD was much older and I never gave her any medication before 6 months that I can remember. She did get a fever when she was 3 months old but the doctor wanted us to come in and they gave her something in the office but I wouldn't have felt comfortable doing that at home with such a young baby.

I second the gas drops and gripe water to have on hand as well (not that they worked for DD but other people swear by it)

bobbiejo1982 April 10th, 2013 01:59 PM

Thanks for all the info. I wasn't planning to give him to much that little. My main concern was what to do for a fever. Sounds like calling the doc is the first step.
Thanks