JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   How long do you plan to breastfeed? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2642549-how-long-do-you-plan-to-breastfeed.html)

Hopeful2BMommy April 11th, 2013 04:18 PM

How long do you plan to breastfeed?

How long do you plan to breast feed this baby (not including pumping and using bottle)?

navywifey2003 April 11th, 2013 04:25 PM

Re: How long do you plan to breastfeed?

We plan on self weaning. I will figure out what my personal cut off is when we get there :)

sunnydaze April 11th, 2013 05:05 PM

I pump and boob feed breastmilk....im flexible like that.

Probably about 4 months. It seems to be my limit for all my kids.

That and I want to get a breast reduction. I'm a 44DDD

ashleykathleen April 11th, 2013 05:21 PM

Well, for me, just breastfeeding no pumping isn't possible. I will be going back to school in September so I will have to pump and feed from bottle while in class. Up until then (about 3 months) it will be boob only. I will be feeding breastmilk exclusively for as long as it works for me and baby :)

MarylandMama April 11th, 2013 05:30 PM

I am big on breast milk for the first year for the health benefits. With DD, I had to exclusively pump. I pumped like a mad woman and froze the excess. By 8 months, we had enough in the freezer for the next 4. (Long story of how we rotated milk to make sure it was thew newest milk in the freezer. What a process!) I am hoping this baby will actually breastfeed some, but I definitely want to be able to pump and save to quit early. I will have to pump at least part time to go back to work anyway. One way or the other, breast milk for a year.

beatlechicksteph April 11th, 2013 05:58 PM

Right now my plan is to BF for the first year. Being a FTM, I don't know if I have any issues or anything to make that an unobtainable goal.

bribugg13 April 11th, 2013 05:59 PM

until she self weans...we did the same with Connor and he weaned at exactly 2.5 years (shortly after I got pregnant this time). I helped him night wean so we could both start STTN when he was about 2 years old.

Hopeful2BMommy April 11th, 2013 06:07 PM

I plan to give baby breast milk for the first year, I just don't now at what point I will exclusively pump. I don't think I will be comfortable feeding from my breasts after he gets big. But who knows?

QueenCrafty April 11th, 2013 06:18 PM

Hopefully until he self-weans. I night weaned Abri at 14 months, but then she weaned just 2 weeks shy of her second birthday. I will definitely be breastfeeding for the first year and then we'll see

KellBell2621 April 11th, 2013 06:19 PM

at least a year, hopefully longer, or let her self wean. i bf'ed my son for 6 months but had supply issues and had to supplement. so i'm hoping on exclusively breastfeeding this time around. i feel much more prepared this time!

Mom2LillieAidan April 11th, 2013 06:51 PM

My plan is a year, at least. I will ebf for about 2 months before I start pumping, to ensure supply and latch first.

Kyla0709 April 11th, 2013 07:30 PM

With my older two I let them self wean, but it seemed to me they weaned much earlier than most self weaners, right around the one year mark. They just seemed to get bored with it and didn't have the patience for it anymore.

navywifey2003 April 11th, 2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopeful2BMommy (Post 27278892)
I plan to give baby breast milk for the first year, I just don't now at what point I will exclusively pump. I don't think I will be comfortable feeding from my breasts after he gets big. But who knows?

As the baby grows it doesn't bother you. I honestly thought the same thing but as Everett got bigger it wasn't a big deal.

SassySami April 11th, 2013 11:54 PM

Well since recommendations is 2 years :) .. We will go tell self wean. Nolan is 27 months and still nurses.

mommy220 April 12th, 2013 03:45 AM

I breastfed my daughter until like 21 or 22 months, things just died down and so it was easy to stop, so I believe she self weaned. I had to pump while I am at work/will have to again but she never got any formula.

I pumped for a year at work.

I plan to do the same!

Karen78 April 12th, 2013 04:22 AM

At least until he turns 1. Maybe a little bit afterwards to get through the nightmare of the 1 year molars coming in. That's what I did with my son last time. I was nursing just twice a day at that point and it seemed to help tremendously until his molars came in. He was just under 15 months old when I stopped BF completely. The day I got my BFP actually! :)

Kim3 April 12th, 2013 05:26 AM

I am returning to work in 4 weeks (self employed and need to take care of things. I will make it shorter days though). So I will bf and pump from early. I say 12 months. However, I tend to go 18 as a I am not good on making the child end.

D&K's_mama April 12th, 2013 05:55 AM

I plan to breastfeed for the first year and probably just let him self wean.. dd self weaned @ 12 months but she also was sick and wasn't aloud breastmilk for almost a week after that she didn't seeminterested @ all. I never pumped though since I am a sahm there really was no need to. But it was hard @ times since I never got a break because of her not taking a bottle.

Kalynas_Mom April 12th, 2013 06:36 AM

I'm going for a 2 year cut off this time. I breastfed DD for almost 4 years (trust me I NEVER planned on that it just sort of happened). Anyway I don't want to go that long this time but the WHO recommends 2 years and i'll be sticking with that and then slowly weaning

crawmommy April 12th, 2013 06:37 AM

My goal is to make it 1 year and we will go from there. I will do the same with dd and ebf until about 3-4 weeks then I will bf and pump so dh and others can feed the twins. I will be going back to work part time so pumping is a must. With dd my milk supply decreased at about 10- 11 months and I could not keep up with her needs and had to supplement some :( hopefully this time my stress level will be far less and I will be able to keep up problem. Oh and bf'ing when the baby gets bigger and has teeth is no biggie I was scared at first but the learn not to bite and with dd it was hard for me when I couldn't bf bc I missed that special bond. It is crazy when you look back and think gosh and I was afraid to bf for such & such reasons! Don't get me wrong I did get a few dirty looks & comments from people(i even knew) when I bf a very large 20 lbs almost 1year old however I didn't give a hoot and just smiled and waved :)