JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Nipple question!!! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2643461-nipple-question.html)

Hopeful2BMommy April 15th, 2013 12:04 PM

Nipple question!!!

:o

I've been feeling one of my nipples getting sore, but I just looked at it and it's all cracked in the center. WHY????

navywifey2003 April 15th, 2013 12:28 PM

Re: Nipple question!!!

It's getting ready to feed Eli! :)

Hopeful2BMommy April 15th, 2013 12:43 PM

What can I do for it?
I didn't know this happened before baby is born.

navywifey2003 April 15th, 2013 12:47 PM

You can use lanolin now, they sell it at target in tubes by the breast pumps. Your body gears up for several weeks before delivery. Your colostrum is likely forming which is why they are sore. In a weeks or two you should be able to squeeze colostrum out and you may notice dry patches on your nipples.

Gen88 April 15th, 2013 12:53 PM

Mine have been a little sore too and very dry. I've been using coconut oil :) very moisturizing!

Hopeful2BMommy April 15th, 2013 12:57 PM

They don't look or feel dry at all. It's just all cracked in the center.

KellBell2621 April 15th, 2013 01:08 PM

i agree - try some lanolin :)

Mom2LillieAidan April 15th, 2013 01:34 PM

I have been able to squeeze a little colostrum out of each, but neither has been sore at all.

overlinmommy17 April 15th, 2013 02:00 PM

mine are the same way:) yay for milk making boobies:)

TeresaV April 15th, 2013 02:06 PM

Funny, I just noticed this morning that my right one is sore, but the left one is not. Weird. I can't get any colostrum out yet, though.

Steph625 April 15th, 2013 02:07 PM

I've noticed some extra soreness recently. Just yesterday when I was showering, the water pressure made them hurt just like in the beginning. And I was able to squeeze colostrum out today as well. I'm very hopeful I can BF!

PurpleStar April 15th, 2013 05:46 PM

Ditto all you girls...mine have been sore lately, almost throbbing like right smack in the epicenter of my nipples and just today have noticed dry patches/scabbing - like I can pick it off. Gross but I'm hopeful boobs are doing what they should be.

D&K's_mama April 16th, 2013 05:44 AM

Mine are the same way...which I just noticed a few days ago.

eshute April 16th, 2013 07:02 AM

Mine have been sore the whole pregnancy. Both look cracked like you're talking about, but just in the last few days they've gotten LESS sore, almost like nothing happened. How weird is that? I don't have any dry patches or leaking yet...but it sort of freaks me out that they SHOULD be sore, and for the first time they're not. :confused:

navywifey2003 April 16th, 2013 09:29 AM

Colostrum may not leak. It's a very thick substance.

MerinSun April 16th, 2013 09:43 AM

TMI WARNING!:

Last night I was undressing to take a shower when I smelled a cheesy smell. It took me a minute to realize it was coming from my nipples. I wiped them up with a wet towel to be sure they got cleaned and after a few seconds they began to drip. Today my breasts/nipples have begun to feel sore.

Are you sure your nipple is cracked and it's just not a new fold or the nipple isn't compressed? Either way, lanolin is wonderful to put on and it couldn't hurt. Just make sure to wear some kind of a barrier (like a pad) between your breast and your bra/shirt otherwise it WILL leave grease stains.

edgeofelise April 16th, 2013 01:32 PM

If you plan on BF'ing lanolin will be a lifesaver, so I agree that you may as well start using it now. I just ordered some to put in my hospital bag. Amazing stuff!

MarylandMama April 16th, 2013 07:04 PM

When I was pumping like a maniac for DD, I used Mustela Nipple Cream. I found it much more soothing than lanolin. It is like a thick lotion, smooth to put on, and ver cooling. It healed cracked nipples really quickly. You also don't have to wipe it off for nursing. I found the thick texture of lanolin made it painful to rub on when I was already sore. The Mustela stuff is a bit pricier, but not crazy expensive. It is well worth it. Highly recommended.

Hopeful2BMommy April 16th, 2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerinSun (Post 27290590)
Are you sure your nipple is cracked and it's just not a new fold or the nipple isn't compressed? Either way, lanolin is wonderful to put on and it couldn't hurt. Just make sure to wear some kind of a barrier (like a pad) between your breast and your bra/shirt otherwise it WILL leave grease stains.

Yep, I'm sure, it's definitely cracked. Looks like the very center is going to break off. When I put the cream on, little chunks of skin come off.

crawmommy April 17th, 2013 02:49 AM

Your boobies will never be the same! Welcome to being a mommy Amy :)