JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   1st and 2nd (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2643689-1st-and-2nd.html)

MamaSkunk April 16th, 2013 10:02 AM

1st and 2nd

So BTDT moms that already have two kids how long was your labor with your first and how long was your labor with your second?
They say the second child that labor is about half the time of your first one so I wanna see if everyone's experience comes close to this statistic.
Also those of you who delivered both vaginally did the second one seem easier to you than the first one?
How about pain levels from the first to second? Was the pain less during labor with your second?

navywifey2003 April 16th, 2013 10:09 AM

Re: 1st and 2nd

My first labor was about 12 hours from start to finish. Katelynn was 4 hours exactly. My water broke at home and I stayed home for about 3 hours. She was born less than an hour after arriving at the hospital. Her labor was very intense compared to David's. but her recovery was a million times easier. Everett was born in a little less than an hour. His labor was beyond intense but empowering at the same time. Kyle is reading up on unassisted birth just in case this time. We read a bit last time but we want to be very prepared this time.'

QueenCrafty April 16th, 2013 12:11 PM

First: 8 hours total. I was not prepared for pain so i jumped at the chance to get an epidural. I pushed just over an hour. Recovery sucked with tons of stitches.

Second: 90 minutes. I was prepared for a NCB so that's what I had. It didn't seem painful to me, hard work yes but not painful. I pushed twice, but my body was bringing the baby down on its own after my water broke. No stitches, and I felt 100% a week later.

Kim3 April 16th, 2013 12:17 PM

First - labor started at 7 a.m. Back ache every 20 minutes. Pushed for nearly 2 hours. Delivered at 9:51 at night.

Second - I have no idea. Went for a doctor appointment before work. When they checked me I was 7 cm dialated. I "thought" I was not in labor. Was sent to L&D so they could break my water. Doc did not want me going him that far along. Walked to L&D (which is in the complex with Dr. Office). Got situated in and "discovered" I was contracting. Not very painful at all. They wanted to break my water. I said - not until I get an epidural. Person came in for epidural. Someone then broke my wanter. Nurse came in again to now start pit. Turned on IV. She looked and wow. I was fully dialated. Just needed to call the doc. Delivery at 2:35.

ashleykathleen April 16th, 2013 06:23 PM

My labor with Jaleigh was extremely drawn out and exhausting. I had regular contractions for almost 26 hours. That's right, 26 hours of painful back labor. My epidural only took on one side so I could still feel everything on one side. I was numb enough on the other side that I couldn't push very effectively and I ended up pushing for nearly an hour and a half.

My labor with Kiefer, start to finish, was 7 hours. I had another failed epidural but even with feeling everything on both side it wasn't nearly as bad as that awful back labor I had with J. As far as pushing goes, I pushed 3-4 times and he was out.

MarylandMama April 16th, 2013 06:50 PM

I just wanted to say, great question, Karey! I was wondering the same thing myself. Really happy with what I have read so far!

noah and lola's mommy April 16th, 2013 08:53 PM

My first was 4.5 hours and my second was 2 hours 5 minutes

8miraclez April 16th, 2013 09:10 PM

Mine have all been inductions, but my second was tons easier than my first. In fact, he came so fast, he was almost born in the hall and I didn't have time to get an epi. Despite the fact he came so fast, I didn't need stitches either and with my first I had to have a couple stitches.

SassySami April 17th, 2013 02:21 AM

1st. Labor was around 24 hours. 2nd around 12 hours. 3rd full active labor was 3 hrs.

crawmommy April 17th, 2013 02:42 AM

Wow!!! These stats are very alarming to me and very pleasing :) i want a fast labor! I told dh I wanted to labor at home as much as possible he thinks im crazy bc the hospital is 40 min away no traffic he told me that he does not want to deliver these babies! My dr said bc I didn't feel contraction last time until they broke my water I need to be very alert and when my stomach gets hard on a regular basis no matter how many mins apart to call ASAP

Joanne Nicole April 17th, 2013 05:17 AM

This is all very encouraging for me - I had such a long, hard labour with DD, that I'm praying for an easier time with this baby.

With DD, I had gone into work on Friday morning already having uncomfortable contractions, and told DH to be ready to come pick me up from work before the end of the day. By lunchtime the contractions were painful enough that I couldn't concentrate on my work anymore and my boss told me to go home. DH came and picked me up and I was certain that I'd be holding a new baby in my arms by later that night. We went home and called the midwife to let her know what was going on. She came by to check on me, and I was only 3 cm dilated. It took me 2 full days of painful, regular contractions to get to 8 cm. By Sunday evening I was beyond exhausted, hadn't eaten or slept in two days, and I was begging them to take me to the hospital and just get it over with. My water still hadn't broken, so my midwife broke my water for me. Everything got really intense after that, but even so I had to push for about 2 more hours. DD was born just before 8 pm on Sunday night.

So yeah...you can probably see why I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a quicker second labour!

Kyla0709 April 17th, 2013 05:48 AM

I was induced with both, but my second was definitely a bit faster and easier than my first. The first time they induced me at 6pm and he was born 1pm the next afternoon. The second time I was induced around 9:30pm and he was born 12:00pm the next afternoon. Only about 5 hours shorter for me. My first I spent 2 hours pushing with an epidural, my second I had gotten the epidural but requested it be turned off when I noticed I started going into transition, I did NOT want to have to push as long as I did with my first. He came out in three pushes, about 10 minutes and most of that time was spent waiting for the doctor and nurses to break down the bed. I'm praying I go into labor naturally this time and my blood pressure stays normal so I don't have to be induced. I'm very curious to see how fast it would go.

cheerfulsunrise April 17th, 2013 08:05 AM

1st baby was 14 hours, and I was induced, so that is 14 hours from scratch.
2nd baby was about 6 hrs or less of real "labor". I had a doc appt at like 4pm, went home, had dinner, had contractions.. and she was born at 11:28 that night!

2nd labor was much easier, less painful, faster, and faster recovery.