JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Herbal Tea (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2644187-herbal-tea.html)

mommyandwife08 April 18th, 2013 08:50 AM

Herbal Tea

I know this was asked in the beginning but now that we are in our third trimester what herbal teas are considered 'safe'? I love herbal teas but I have been so worried to drink any because there is so many conflicting reports about some herbs. Is anyone drinking tea that is supposed to help with delivery? What herbs are in it? I know red raspberry leaf is supposed to be great towards the end along with a few other ones.

MamaSkunk April 18th, 2013 08:59 AM

Re: Herbal Tea

Red raspberry leaf tea can actually cause you to go into labor which I don't recommend at all...Let that baby bake til its ready.

mommyandwife08 April 18th, 2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaSkunk (Post 27296439)
Red raspberry leaf tea can actually cause you to go into labor which I don't recommend at all...Let that baby bake til its ready.

I have never heard that. I was always told that it simply helps to strengthen your uterus.

sunnydaze April 18th, 2013 10:00 AM

I am not giving up my green tea for anyone. Shes lucky I quit drinking wine!

eshute April 18th, 2013 10:51 AM

I've just stuck with decaf black tea. I'm not huge on herbal tea, but I do occasionally like green tea and other kinds. I've heard different things about different teas so I just didn't take the chance. Hope you find some answers!

MrsLat April 18th, 2013 11:29 AM

I, too, had heard really good things about drinking Red Raspberry Leaf tea during pregnancy. That it won't induce labor, but strengthen and relax the uterus so it contracts more effectively and can help shorten labor time.

MissyBee April 18th, 2013 11:32 AM

I love Green Tea and have been wanting it a lot lately. I've tried to limit my intake because I wasn't sure if it was ok, but I would be a happy girl if I could drink it now!

4hearts April 18th, 2013 01:54 PM

I drank RRL tea through my pregnancies and had very overdue babies. It's recommended to prep uterus for labor. Now black and blue cohosh WILL more than likely throw you into labor. That's what I did with my first two. It's kinda like natural pitocin.

I enjoy Green tea. Gives me energy. I'm assuming it's safe. Off to research that now..

okay, found this link..
http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnan...herbaltea.html

I never realized that green tea isn't herbal or what the definition of herbal even is for teas.. interesting.

navywifey2003 April 18th, 2013 02:13 PM

I plan on drinking rrl tea probably starting at 35 weeks or so. I too have heard its good for the uterus and does not cause labor.

jhmomofmany April 18th, 2013 02:34 PM

I have never heard any contraindication for moderate amounts RRL tea in pregnancy, except in the case of allergies. It can cause contractions, but only in large amounts and in more concentrated form (such as in a tincture or extract). I drink NORA tea which is a blend of nettle, oat straw, raspberry leaf, and alfalfa; I have also added lemon balm for hypertension and stevia for a little sweetness (I do NOT like herbal teas). I drink a quart daily.

If you enjoy herbal teas it is a simple matter to research the herbs in the blend you enjoy to see if it is safe. The teas you buy at a grocery or health food store are not likely to be of medicinal strength or quality. :)

bribugg13 April 18th, 2013 07:30 PM

I just recently bought some (haven't tried it yet, so don't know how it tastes LOL)tea from cottonbabies called Third Trimester Tea.

http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_...oducts_id=1799

Here's the ingredients. I also drank a lot of RRL tea when I was pregnant with Connor, and it did nothing to help him come along! lol

Ingredients:
(USDA Certified 100% Organic)
Rubus Idaeus, (organic red raspberry) leaf, Urtica Dioica (organic stinging nettle) leaf, Mentha Spicata (organic spearmint), Avena Sativa (organic oatstraw), Matricaria Recutita (organic chamomile) flower, Rosa Canina (organic rosehips), Medicago Sativa (organic alfalfa) leaf

TeresaV April 19th, 2013 03:31 PM

I asked my OB early on about herbal tea because I love it. He told me that if you can buy it in teabag form in the grocery store, it was most likely safe.

I have also been told RRL tea is good for helping the uterus prepare for labor, but not induce it. My very crunchy aunt keeps telling me I need to start drinking it.