JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Older Children (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2646809-older-children.html)

MomtoKy April 29th, 2013 10:13 AM

Older Children

My son is 6. Some days he seems so excited to be having a little sister, but other days he seems like he never wants her to come. Which is very understandable. How are your older children taking the idea of having a new baby around? HOw do you make them feel "special" still, and comfort them about a new sibling? We try explaining to him that things will be different, but in a good way, and that he will still get to do special things with Mom and Dad.

Just curious how others are handling this?!

THANKS! :)

rcjh12 April 29th, 2013 10:19 AM

Re: Older Children

My boys are very curious and excited. So far they don't seem too worried or to realize that things will change around here. I've already planned a father/son camping trip for not too long after the baby is born, so they get some attention away from the baby. And they have bible school the week after my due date so they will get time out of the house then, too.

Kalynas_Mom April 29th, 2013 10:38 AM

DD is about 4.5 and she seems to be very excited. I try to have conversations about how she needs to learn to do some things on her own, how often babies need their mommies right away and she might have to be patient etc. We don't spend too much time focusing on how things will be different though (maybe if she was older we would i'm not sure). I think it'll be a learning process for all of us and we'll have to take it as it comes and see how she reacts when it happens. I except behavioural issues, jealousy etc. but i'm really hoping that we find a balance that works for everyone. She will also be in school full time probably for the first month after baby and then shes signed up for two weeks of day camp following school so i'm hoping that will ease the transition because she won't be stuck at home with us all day long

MamaSkunk April 29th, 2013 10:53 AM

DD is 2.5 and I hope she will handle it OK. We have been telling her about her new little brother and have decided we will get her a big sister gift that only will be given to her once he's born.
So far she seems excited.

QueenCrafty April 29th, 2013 10:54 AM

Lily who is 5 is excited about having a new baby. She's not overly nurturing with babies but I think she just likes the excitement of something new. She did great transitioning with Abri, so I think she'll be fine. We've already got her enrolled in swim lessons for the summer and then she'll start kindergarten and get back to dance again in the fall. She'll be busy with her own activities to not feel like she's missing out on attention.

I'm unsure about Abri, who just turned 3. She knows that she's getting a baby brother but doesn't seem to make a correlation between my ever expanding belly and this brother concept. She loves babies- both dolls and real babies, so that's a plus. But she's always been mommy's girl so I'm worried she won't like when a baby gets to be held all the time and she can't. We've also set her up with swimming lessons this summer, which I'm sure she'll love. We are considering starting her in dance or gymnastics this fall to give her an outlet that burns some of her energy. I think we'll do preschool so she can get some time with kids her own age too.

jhmomofmany April 29th, 2013 06:17 PM

My 5yo and 9yo are very excited. They like to rub my belly and feel the baby move. My older kids (11, 13, 16, 17) are happy about the baby but not "excited". They know the drill. :lol:

TeresaV April 29th, 2013 06:19 PM

My 9 yo stepdaughter is super excited. Her mother has 2 younger daughters too, so she knows what to expect. She's still excited, so that makes me happy.