JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   How necessary are nursing tops? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2646813-how-necessary-nursing-tops.html)

Hopeful2BMommy April 29th, 2013 10:24 AM

How necessary are nursing tops?

I don't know why, but I've stressed myself out about what to wear after delivery, on the way home, and after taking baby home.

Do I "need" nursing tops?
What are your opinions on them?

Kalynas_Mom April 29th, 2013 10:28 AM

Re: How necessary are nursing tops?

It's really a personal decision. I had a couple and I hardly used them. I just wore tank tops or V necks that had a deep enough plunge that I didn't ruin the shirt. I suppose it also depends how you feel about nursing in public and how much you want to cover up. I just pull it out haha so I never really had a need for them

rcjh12 April 29th, 2013 10:29 AM

I don't really plan on getting a bunch of nursing tops. Instead I will get the nursing tanks and wear them under my regular shirts when I'm away from home, or wear only them at home.

QueenCrafty April 29th, 2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalynas_Mom (Post 27324871)
It's really a personal decision. I had a couple and I hardly used them. I just wore tank tops or V necks that had a deep enough plunge that I didn't ruin the shirt. I suppose it also depends how you feel about nursing in public and how much you want to cover up. I just pull it out haha so I never really had a need for them

This is pretty much me. I have a couple nursing tanks, but I will actually just wear that as a shirt to go out. I think I have one nursing shirt that is a cris-cross v neck (is that surplice?), and a couple other maternity/nursing tops that have a drape neckline that just make it easier to pull down. Otherwise I have no problem just wearing a shirt and pulling it up to nurse. I don't even bother wearing a tank underneath because it is just too hot in the summer to layer like that

eshute April 29th, 2013 11:48 AM

I was wondering about this myself. I'll probably just use the hospital nursing gowns after delivery and then once I'm home, I'll wear something that I can easily unbutton or pull down.

Karen78 April 29th, 2013 12:09 PM

I never used them, and don't plan on getting any this time either. When I saw how much some of them cost, I said "no thanks!". I guess it just depends on you. I would just lift my shirt.....although that did get difficult in the winter when wearing sweaters.

sunnydaze April 29th, 2013 12:25 PM

I never spent money on them. I do what Courtney and Tanya did. Besides, your boobs get all nice and big and firm....show em off with V necks LOL

cheerfulsunrise April 29th, 2013 12:59 PM

I had a few nursing tops with my 2nd baby. They do help to make nursing more discreet, if that is a concern for you. Also, I had her in November, so I was nursing through the winter... since we will all be starting nursing in the summer, you might not need them at first since summer tops are usually easier to manipulate, etc. If you are going to be at home most of the time, then you probably don't need them at all.

LisaS April 29th, 2013 01:05 PM

I have a few that I made, but I don't think they're magical or anything. If you want to be more discreet without a nursing top, wear a camisole underneath your shirt so when you lift your shirt, your belly is still covered.

KellBell2621 April 29th, 2013 01:28 PM

i never had any with my first child and i had him in the winter so i was constantly pulling up my shirts and it was a hassle (and chilly! lol) having a summer baby this time around i did purchase a couple nursing tops just for when im out and about but at home i'll just wear normal shirts with easy access. my advice would be to maybe buy 1 or 2? see how you like them and if they're necessary- you can always buy more. also take into consideration how often youre out in public, if you're going to be out a lot or have company over a lot i'd buy a couple (but as others have mentioned, discretion is up to you)

8miraclez April 29th, 2013 01:32 PM

Honestly, I have maybe 2. They are designed to not show your stomach while nursing so I just wear my belly bands and pull up my shirt. Even with a nursing cover, my back shows so I love the bands. I can't justify buying yet another set of clothes.

TeresaV April 29th, 2013 02:59 PM

I just bought a couple of camis with built in boob support from Target. I like them because they have a low enough neckline that I can just pull them down, but the support has a little more padding so the nips don't show through. :D

beatlechicksteph April 29th, 2013 03:44 PM

My mom bought me a couple nursing cami's that I plan on wearing a lot. Other than that, I made myself a nursing cover for when I'm in public, so I don't really care what I'm wearing, I'll just throw my cover on, and cover up whatever is showing anyways. We don't have a lot of money to go out and buy me new clothes.

MerinSun April 29th, 2013 04:34 PM

All my maternity tops are designed to also be nursing tops so I have a few. Instead of spending your money on nursing tops I would focus on getting some nice comfy nursing bras.

Lane Bryant sells the lacy camis (and they are always going on sale) that are very stretchy at the top. I have like 8 million of those. I just put them on underneath whatever shirt I want to wear that day and then lift up and pull down.

zkat April 29th, 2013 04:54 PM

I am with the others. I didn't have nursing tops last time. And won't this time either.

bribugg13 April 29th, 2013 04:56 PM

Ditto everyone else lol, I had a couple but usually just layered a cami/thin tank underneath so I could just pull up whatever shirt I was wearing and still be covered. I had no problems NIP and I never used a cover, but I also didn't want my belly hanging out lol. I may or may not layer the tank this time around because I don't know if I can handle the FL heat, but then again, hopefully we'll be spending most days by the pool anyway!

I agree, invest in nursing bras FOR SURE!!! They don't have to be fancy, walmart sells simple nursing bras for cheap! :)

mommy220 April 29th, 2013 05:57 PM

I am not getting any nursing shirts but I do want to get a few nursing tank tops to wear underneath shirts so my whole stomach doesn't show.

That's a good tip about wearing a belly band!

Kalynas_Mom April 30th, 2013 06:33 AM

It seems like everyone pulls UP their shirt to nurse. Am I the only person who just pulls it to the side at the top? haha I'd much rather show half my boob than I would my jelly stomach after delivery, and baby's head makes it almost impossible to see anything anyway

MissyBee April 30th, 2013 10:24 AM

I just bought a couple of regular Cami/tank tops at Walmart last night. They were like 6 bucks. I got the largest size so they'll be comfy & they have a built in bra for a little support. I figure I can wear those under things or just them around the house. I don't plan on going a lot of places for the first several weeks, so I'll be able to figure out which shirts work and which don't. And then I can invest in something else if I need to!

navywifey2003 April 30th, 2013 10:57 AM

I ad a few with Everett. They were actually cute shirts that had a slit. But I got them for 4 dollars at a consignment store.