JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Burping and breast feeding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2648558-burping-and-breast-feeding.html)

bobbiejo1982 May 6th, 2013 11:52 AM

Burping and breast feeding

Can someone explain this. When do you burp while BFing? Right away from newborn??

navywifey2003 May 6th, 2013 11:55 AM

Re: Burping and breast feeding

Ive only ever burped, ff or bf if I felt they needed it. Fussy after feeding, acting like they are uncomfortable ect. For us it never was a matter of doing it after every feeding it was more so when they needed it. And it could not be after every feeding. I know some do it before switching to the other breast or some do it after a certain amount of minutes.

bobbiejo1982 May 6th, 2013 12:00 PM

Ok so could be different for everyone. Yes I was wondering if baby is at breast do you nessacarly stop feeding just to burp? seemed like no to me...but i didn't know.

navywifey2003 May 6th, 2013 12:06 PM

I wouldnt stop feeding just to burp, I would wait see how baby is acting and go from there. Even though they seem so helpless they really are amazing at telling us what they need.

MerinSun May 6th, 2013 12:42 PM

I always did it when switching sides and afterwards.

crawmommy May 6th, 2013 01:31 PM

dd would burp on her own from what I remember. I do believe I always thought I 'had to burp her after eating and she never would burp on command but only when she was ready. So I stopped trying to force her to burp.

QueenCrafty May 6th, 2013 01:53 PM

I have stopped nursing to burp, but that was because I had a really forceful letdown, Abri had a tongue tie and reflux, so she ingested a lot of extra air anyway. With her, she tended to projectile vomit every bit of milk she took in if I didn't burp her after the first letdown. She would spit up a little at first, and then I would burp her after she finished nursing and she would still projectile vomit some. I only nursed her on one side per feeding session. With Lily, I nursed her just a few months but I did burp before switching sides and then afterwards. When we switched her to formula, I just burped her after she finished the bottle. She barely spit up.

~*Kudzu*~ May 6th, 2013 02:07 PM

I always tried to burp after feeding (or switching sides during a heavy feeding). When we switched to bottles with DD1 after each bottle. I say I "tried" b/c I would never force it... if after a few pats nothing was happening I stopped. Sometimes they would get fussy a little while later and I would try again and if they were ready, they burped. Like a PP stated.. they will let you know when they need to! GL! You're going to be great at this!!!

edgeofelise May 6th, 2013 09:46 PM

It's awesome that you're asking all of these questions before you're hormonal and exhausted and overwhelmed. You're already doing a great job! Like everybody else said, your baby will let you know. Eliza was fine for a few weeks and then she started spitting up more and more. I remember nights when I'd be up feeding her for hours on end because I had to stop and burp her every five minutes...feeding her took forever! It was really frustrating but it didn't last long. Once we cleared that hurdle I don't remember having to have a specific method for burping; she mostly did it on her own.

MerinSun May 6th, 2013 10:00 PM

Yeah, they eventually reach this sweet spot where whenever you sit them up they just belch. I still remember the first time Alex let out a real belch and not just an infant burp. It scared the crap out of me and had me in stitches for the rest of the day, lol.

I also burned myself recently when he demonstrated, as a toddler, that he knows how to belch while eating because I burst out laughing at it. Yeah...this will be one hard habit to knock out. Toddlers LOVE to make you laugh.

MamaSkunk May 6th, 2013 11:50 PM

I pretty much almost never had to burp DD. The only time she really got colicky was when my breast milk ran out that I had been feeding her by bottle and switched to Enfamil and long that was awful she got gassy and constipated and screamed for hours. But as soon as I switched to Similac I had no problems at all.

mommy220 May 7th, 2013 03:56 AM

I really don't remember burping dd much at all... weird!!

Kyla0709 May 7th, 2013 08:05 AM

I'd usually burp them after each side. Sometimes I didn't burp at all unless I heard them sucking in lots of air.

Kalynas_Mom May 7th, 2013 08:47 AM

I don't remember hardly ever burping DD. After she was done feeding she'd normally burp on her own, or she would inbetween sides. I've never stopped a feeding to burp