JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   June 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Confusing Doctor Appointment *update* (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1882-june-2013-playroom/2648923-confusing-doctor-appointment-update.html)

TeresaV May 7th, 2013 02:50 PM

Confusing Doctor Appointment *update*

So, over the last month or so my blood pressure has been slowly creeping upward. Today it was 138/90 (the diastolic number now puts me in the "high BP" range). So, the NP I saw ordered some bloodwork (to test for pre-e), told me to limit salt, take it easy the best I can, and buy a BP cuff to monitor throughout the day.

She just called me back with my bloodwork results (she ordered them STAT). She said everything looked normal except for my blood concentration (I have never had any protein in my urine dips). Unfortunately I wasn't able to ask too many questions because I was at work. She explained that high blood concentration can be an indicator of pre-e. So, I have to go back on Friday to meet with one of the doctors and decide what to do from there.

This is so stressful. I know she wants to take me out of work. The thought of not getting paid for 3 or 4 weeks on top of the useless pitance of a disability check I'll get for six weeks makes me want to throw up. I guess it really bums me out because I have had pregnancy no issues up to this point, and honestly, I feel better now than I have the last couple of months, so I feel like I can do things close to the pace I normally do.

*end rant*

UPDATE:

I took today off from work because my BP was 154/94 this morning. My doc wants to do a NST tomorrow morning and probably take me out of work. He's starting me on a low dose of labetalol tonight to see if that helps. After monitoring my BP all day today, it is clear that as soon as I get off the couch it starts to rise. Thankfully I'll be 37 weeks on Monday, so I'm not too worried about induction at this point, although from what I've heard that will make my hopes of a natural childbirth less likely. I'm trying to maintain an open mind at this point, but it's hard to not stress about it.

navywifey2003 May 7th, 2013 03:01 PM

Re: Confusing Doctor Appointment

They will probably want to do a 24 hour urine to measure the proteins in your urine. I'm not sure what she means by blood concentration. Huge hugs Hun. I had this happen with David and they were not very helpful or did a good job of answering questions.

QueenCrafty May 7th, 2013 04:10 PM

I have no experience, but I'll be thinking of you!! When you are home, try to relax and lay down as much as possible. I hope Friday's appointment will give you some answers

MarylandMama May 7th, 2013 06:37 PM

Re: Confusing Doctor Appointment

I'm sorry. That is super stressful. I hope things turn out well on Friday! KUP!

TeresaV May 8th, 2013 12:15 PM

Re: Confusing Doctor Appointment *update*

So frustrating. Thanks for the thoughts, ladies.

navywifey2003 May 8th, 2013 12:23 PM

Have they mentioned a 24 hour urine? I would urge one before talking induction, if you bp can be controlled with the meds and moderate bed rest I would start there. Again that is what I would do. Huge hugs Hun. This is how it was wih my first. But my bp was much higher but I kept having negative 24 hour urines.

MrsLat May 8th, 2013 12:56 PM

I am so sorry about your BP :( I hope that the medication helps enough that you don't have to be induced. Keep us posted.

Madison.Hailey.Zack May 8th, 2013 02:31 PM

Hugs hon. I have Pre-E and my bp was 150/100 and I was sent right to the hospital to do a 24 urine collection. It came back positive the next day and that night they delivered her since she was 37.3 weeks (full term). That was with my youngest. With my oldest my bp shot up within a few hours of her delivery and so for 6 weeks I was on labetalol and they had to keep upping the mg to get it to finally handle and fix my bp. I hope they figure out the best thing to do for both you and baby.

eshute May 8th, 2013 03:49 PM

Sending lower BP vibes your way! The stress from it all certainly doesn't help! I hope the medication and some rest allow you to keep baking baby until she's ready on her own!

hilachu May 9th, 2013 06:49 PM

i was in the same boat with my son
increased bp each appointment, no pre-e for me though just the bp
they never tried to medicate me.
They tried to pull me out of work at 37 weeks i refused, at 38 weeks they told me i had no choice and pulled me. i cried in the parking lot at the thought of the crap pay i would get out of disability for six weeks and than nothing.
i was induced 5 days early because of the bp
good luck!

Kim3 May 10th, 2013 04:22 AM

Hope you get some good results! Just think if you deliver your daughter is full term now! You have done a great thing nuturing her. Now time to really take care.

TeresaV May 10th, 2013 07:53 AM

I had a nonstress test yesterday, which was fine. Then the doc sent me straight to the hospital for labwork and monitoring, mainly because he'd get the results back much faster vs. going to the lab (BP was still elevated after starting labatelol). Thankfully all of my labwork came back negative for pre-e, so I'm just dealing with high BP at this point. I'm out of work for good, which is stressful because disability pay is crap and is only for 6 weeks, regardless of how long I'm out. DH has been working extra hours for overtime, so I think we'll be okay. I have to go back to the doc on Monday for another NST, but until then I'm just supposed to relax and keep an eye on my BP at home. I'm not on bedrest, but was told to relax as much as possible. Thanks for all of the kind words and thoughts.

Kalynas_Mom May 10th, 2013 07:55 AM

Glad everything seems to be okay. Hope you can get some rest and relax and that your BP stabilizes

navywifey2003 May 10th, 2013 08:42 AM

Hugs hun. I had the same issues with my BP with my first. It was so annoying. And the doctors were very stand off and didnt really answer any of my questions.

TeresaV May 10th, 2013 09:32 AM

Thankfully my doctors have been awesome about being honest and upfront, as well as giving me all of the possible scenarios as to what could happen. The thing that sucks is I feel fantastic, which makes sitting around all day pure torture. It would be one thing if I felt like garbage, but I don't at all. UGH.